3D equal-spaced closed mesh

ariklee
I have sonar image which is basically a point cloud (x, y, z) of an irregular underground cone-shaped structure. I am trying to create either (1) a closed 3D mesh with "equally spaced" mesh grid, or (2) a smooth closed surface, for instance by calculating connected localized regression surfaces. My Z (vertical) component is equally spaced, but X and Y consist of 128 points around the perimeter, regardless of diameter, which makes the grid size small where the diameter is small, and large where it is large. I'm looking for relatively equal grids, so I could use regression or interpolation to add points where needed, or conversely remove them, hence the idea of a localized surface regression. I've tried plot3D package, RGL, and a couple other packages including alphashape3d. I have not tried plotly or rms. So much time invested I thought I would ask for advice, if anyone knows a package or technique or can clue which direction to go. Thanks,
Confidentiality Notice: This E-mail and any attachments ...{{dropped:12}}

Re: 3D equal-spaced closed mesh

Bert Gunter-2
The r-sig-geo list and corresponding cran task view *might* be a better
place to post and/look.

Bert

On May 4, 2017 12:51 PM, "Eric Krantz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have sonar image which is basically a point cloud (x, y, z) of an
> irregular underground cone-shaped structure. I am trying to create either
> (1) a closed 3D mesh with "equally spaced" mesh grid, or (2) a smooth
> closed surface, for instance by calculating connected localized regression
> surfaces. My Z (vertical) component is equally spaced, but X and Y consist
> of 128 points around the perimeter, regardless of diameter, which makes the
> grid size small where the diameter is small, and large where it is large.
> I'm looking for relatively equal grids, so I could use regression or
> interpolation to add points where needed, or conversely remove them, hence
> the idea of a localized surface regression. I've tried plot3D package, RGL,
> and a couple other packages including alphashape3d. I have not tried plotly
> or rms. So much time invested I thought I would ask for advice, if anyone
> knows a package or technique or can clue which direction to go. Thanks,
> Confidentiality Notice: This E-mail and any attachments ...{{dropped:12}}

> posting-guide.html

Re: 3D equal-spaced closed mesh

Michael Sumner-2
Rvcg another option to explore with its ball-pivoting surface
reconstruction.

Mike

On Fri, May 5, 2017, 08:34 Bert Gunter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The r-sig-geo list and corresponding cran task view *might* be a better
> place to post and/look.
>
> Bert
>

> On May 4, 2017 12:51 PM, "Eric Krantz" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I have sonar image which is basically a point cloud (x, y, z) of an
> > irregular underground cone-shaped structure. I am trying to create either
> > (1) a closed 3D mesh with "equally spaced" mesh grid, or (2) a smooth
> > closed surface, for instance by calculating connected localized
> regression
> > surfaces. My Z (vertical) component is equally spaced, but X and Y
> consist
> > of 128 points around the perimeter, regardless of diameter, which makes
> the
> > grid size small where the diameter is small, and large where it is large.
> > I'm looking for relatively equal grids, so I could use regression or
> > interpolation to add points where needed, or conversely remove them,
> hence
> > the idea of a localized surface regression. I've tried plot3D package,
> RGL,
> > and a couple other packages including alphashape3d. I have not tried
> plotly
> > or rms. So much time invested I thought I would ask for advice, if anyone
> > knows a package or technique or can clue which direction to go. Thanks,
> > Confidentiality Notice: This E-mail and any attachments ...{{dropped:12}}

> > posting-guide.html

Dr. Michael Sumner
Software and Database Engineer
Australian Antarctic Division