3D stariway plot

mauede

 Please, is there an R function /package that allows for 3D stairway plots like the attached one ?
 In addition, how can I overlay a parametric grid plot??

Thank you
Maura
                Alice body {margin:0;padding:0;} #footer { height:13px; font-size:11px; font-family:Arial, FreeSans, sans-serif; color:#ADADAD; margin:0; padding:7px 12px; text-align:right; border-top:1px solid #dcdcdc; } #footer a { text-decoration:none; color:#ADADAD; } #footer a:hover { color:#848484; } Inviato dalla nuova Alice mail

plot3d-pics.pdf (10K) Download Attachment

Re: 3D stariway plot

bbolker
mauede <at> alice.it <mauede <at> alice.it> writes:

>  Please, is there an R function /package that allows for 3D stairway plots
like the attached one ?
>  In addition, how can I overlay a parametric grid plot??

  Not exactly, that I know of, but maybe you can adapt

library(rgl)
demo(hist3d)

  to do what you want.

  Most of the R graphics developers are unenthusiastic about 3D
graphics representations, thinking there is often a better (= easier
to actually draw quantitative conclusions from) way to present
the data in 2D (conditioning plots, bubble plots, etc.).

Re: 3D stariway plot

Stefan Evert-3

On 24 Aug 2010, at 02:20, Ben Bolker wrote:

>> Please, is there an R function /package that allows for 3D stairway plots
> like the attached one ?
>> In addition, how can I overlay a parametric grid plot??
>
>  Not exactly, that I know of, but maybe you can adapt
>
> library(rgl)
> demo(hist3d)
>
>  to do what you want.

The drawback here, of course, is that the resolution of rgl isn't good enough if you want to include the plot in a paper.  For that purpose, I've recently used panel.3dbars() from the "latticeExtra" package.  I don't have a self-contained example at hand, but the idea is to call the lattice function cloud() and pass panel.3dbars() as an argument:

        library("latticeExtra")
        cloud( ... data and options ..., panel.3d.cloud = panel.3dbars)

See ?panel.3dbars for a complete example.  I don't know how flexible these plots are and whether you can exactly reproduce your example.

Best,
Stefan