A new <expletive deleted>-up?

Threaded

A new <expletive deleted>-up?

Rolf Turner

Now that this mailing list seems to have managed to eliminate the malign
influence of nabble, some clever Johnny seems to have come up with a new
way to cloud the lines of communication.  I have started receiving
r-help emails from [hidden email].  It seems
that one cannot reply to this address --- at least I can't.  I tried a
couple of times and got bounces.

However I just received from [hidden email] a reply by Jeff
Newmiller to one of the posts that I received  via "r-help-archive".  So
it seems that *Jeff* can reply to these things.

So am I doing something wrong, or is "r-help-archive" messing things up
for other people as well?  And if the latter, can something be done to
remove its malign influence?

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Technical Editor ANZJS
Department of Statistics

Threaded

Re: A new <expletive deleted>-up?

Berend Hasselman

> On 19 Apr 2017, at 09:48, Rolf Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Now that this mailing list seems to have managed to eliminate the malign influence of nabble, some clever Johnny seems to have come up with a new way to cloud the lines of communication.  I have started receiving r-help emails from [hidden email].  It seems
> that one cannot reply to this address --- at least I can't.  I tried a couple of times and got bounces.
>
> However I just received from [hidden email] a reply by Jeff Newmiller to one of the posts that I received  via "r-help-archive".  So it seems that *Jeff* can reply to these things.
>
> So am I doing something wrong, or is "r-help-archive" messing things up for other people as well?  And if the latter, can something be done to remove its malign influence?

I have also received several messages addressed to [hidden email].
I junked most of these.

I have not tried to reply to any of these messages.
I did send a message some time ago to a poster on  [hidden email] to stop doing this and to use the official help.
Apparently to no avail.

Seems like a good idea to give these mails the same treatment as stuff from nabble.

Berend Hasselman

> cheers,
>
> Rolf Turner
>
> --
> Technical Editor ANZJS
> Department of Statistics
> University of Auckland
> Phone: +64-9-373-7599 ext. 88276

Threaded

Re: A new <expletive deleted>-up?

Peter Dalgaard-2
I believe that the list maintainer is hunting this down. As I understood it, it was more due to incompetence than to actual malice.

-pd

> On 19 Apr 2017, at 09:48 , Rolf Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Now that this mailing list seems to have managed to eliminate the malign influence of nabble, some clever Johnny seems to have come up with a new way to cloud the lines of communication.  I have started receiving r-help emails from [hidden email].  It seems
> that one cannot reply to this address --- at least I can't.  I tried a couple of times and got bounces.
>
> However I just received from [hidden email] a reply by Jeff Newmiller to one of the posts that I received  via "r-help-archive".  So it seems that *Jeff* can reply to these things.
>
> So am I doing something wrong, or is "r-help-archive" messing things up for other people as well?  And if the latter, can something be done to remove its malign influence?
>
> cheers,
>
> Rolf Turner
>
> --
> Technical Editor ANZJS
> Department of Statistics
> University of Auckland
> Phone: +64-9-373-7599 ext. 88276

Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Office: A 4.23

On 19/04/17 20:01, peter dalgaard wrote:

> I believe that the list maintainer is hunting this down. As I
> understood it, it was more due to incompetence than to actual malice.

Years ago I ran across an aphorism that very much appealed to me:
"Never attribute to malice that which may be adequately explained by
stupidity."

More recently I saw the same sentiment, expressed only slightly
differently, in someone's signature file --- can't remember whose.

cheers,

Rolf

--
Technical Editor ANZJS
Department of Statistics

Threaded

Re: A new <expletive deleted>-up? / mailing list woes

J C Nash
A slightly different mailing list problem was preventing me from posting without going to moderation. Talking with Paul
Gilbert, I realized that my email (handled by Thunderbird) was using an outgoing server that was not the one normally
associated with my R-help subscription address. Changing that setting allowed unmoderated contributions -- like this
one. I've suggested to Martin M that a note about this might be worth adding to the subscription page, since a lot of
folk have multiple emails handled by clients like Thunderbird that may use a common outgoing SMTP server.

Sorry that this is not precisely about R, but it does concern R-help and other lists we use, and like the Windows/Mac
"hide file extensions of common file types", the glitches keep us from doing real work.

JN

On 2017-04-19 04:32 AM, Rolf Turner wrote:

> On 19/04/17 20:01, peter dalgaard wrote:
>
>> I believe that the list maintainer is hunting this down. As I
>> understood it, it was more due to incompetence than to actual malice.
>
> Years ago I ran across an aphorism that very much appealed to me: "Never attribute to malice that which may be
> adequately explained by stupidity."
>
> More recently I saw the same sentiment, expressed only slightly differently, in someone's signature file --- can't
> remember whose.
>
> cheers,
>
> Rolf

Threaded

Re: A new <expletive deleted>-up?

Santosh-14
otherwise explain it as unexplained "random variable"/ "residual error" :)

Santosh