A question on Statistics

Bogaso
Hi,

I have a quick question on Statistical distribution as follows, hoping
Statisticians here would give me very insightful feedback.

Say, I have a large sample from a highly asymmetric distribution ranging
from -Inf to +Inf. Now I wish to calculate sample X1 and X2 within which
middle 70% probability would reside.

One approach
x = my sample
calculatte quantile(x, prob = 15%) & quantile(x, prob = 85%)

another approach
calculate quantile(abs[x], prob = 85%)
In this case X1 and X2 would be +/- of above result.

My question is in all scenarios, are above two approach equivalent? If not
which is the better approach to find such range.

Re: A question on Statistics

Jeff Newmiller
You should use Stack Exchange for questions about statistics.

You should also think a bit before you post, regardless of where. You are
the one who described this as a highly asymmetric distribution, and didn't
say anything about it being centered at zero. You already answered your
own question, to the extent that it can be answered.

On Sun, 1 Jul 2018, Christofer Bogaso wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a quick question on Statistical distribution as follows, hoping
> Statisticians here would give me very insightful feedback.
>
> Say, I have a large sample from a highly asymmetric distribution ranging
> from -Inf to +Inf. Now I wish to calculate sample X1 and X2 within which
> middle 70% probability would reside.
>
> One approach
> x = my sample
> calculatte quantile(x, prob = 15%) & quantile(x, prob = 85%)
>
> another approach
> calculate quantile(abs[x], prob = 85%)
> In this case X1 and X2 would be +/- of above result.
>
> My question is in all scenarios, are above two approach equivalent? If not
> which is the better approach to find such range.
>
> Thanks,

Re: A question on Statistics

Hasan Diwan-2
Christofer,

Specifically, https://stats.stackexchange.com/ -- H
--
If you wish to request my time, please do so using bit.ly/hd1AppointmentRequest.
Si vous voudrais faire connnaisance, allez a bit.ly/hd1AppointmentRequest.

Sent from my mobile device
Envoye de mon portable

Re: A question on Statistics

Bogaso
Hi,

I could post in StackExchange for sure, however I dont think R-help posting
guide discourage asking a question about Statistics, atleast formally.

I could further clarify if my question is not elaborate enough. And many
apologies if it is very trivial - however still I am looking for 2nd
opinion on my question.

Answer to Jeff's pointer - yes my distribution is assumed to be centered at
0.

Thanks,

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 8:04 AM Hasan Diwan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Christofer,
> On Sat, 30 Jun 2018 at 12:54, Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > You should use Stack Exchange for questions about statistics.
>
> Specifically, https://stats.stackexchange.com/ -- H
> --
> If you wish to request my time, please do so using
> bit.ly/hd1AppointmentRequest.
> Si vous voudrais faire connnaisance, allez a bit.ly/hd1AppointmentRequest.
>
> Sent from my mobile device
> Envoye de mon portable

Re: A question on Statistics

Bert Gunter-2
From the posting guide:

"*R-help* is intended to be comprehensible to people who want to use R to
solve problems but who are not necessarily interested in or knowledgeable
about programming."

This says to me that R-help is for general questions about R programming,
not statistics, though I grant you that the intersection is nonempty.
Nevertheless, purely statistical issues should be posted elsewhere, and
your query appears to be such.

However, I'll just note: what does "centered at 0" mean for an asymmetric
distribution? I think you may need to reconsider Jeff's advice.

Cheers,
Bert

sticking things into it."

On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 5:53 AM, Christofer Bogaso <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I could post in StackExchange for sure, however I dont think R-help posting
> guide discourage asking a question about Statistics, atleast formally.
>
> I could further clarify if my question is not elaborate enough. And many
> apologies if it is very trivial - however still I am looking for 2nd
> opinion on my question.
>
> Answer to Jeff's pointer - yes my distribution is assumed to be centered at
> 0.
>
> Thanks,
>
> On Sun, Jul 1, 2018 at 8:04 AM Hasan Diwan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Christofer,
> > On Sat, 30 Jun 2018 at 12:54, Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > You should use Stack Exchange for questions about statistics.
> >
> > Specifically, https://stats.stackexchange.com/ -- H
> > --
> > If you wish to request my time, please do so using
> > bit.ly/hd1AppointmentRequest.
> > Si vous voudrais faire connnaisance, allez a
> bit.ly/hd1AppointmentRequest.
> >
> > Sent from my mobile device
> > Envoye de mon portable

> posting-guide.html

Re: A question on Statistics

Bogaso
I derive posting guide from https://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html

I am imagining a distribution where mean is zero but there are few large
observations in the positive side which are not very frequent.