About error in the panel

lily li
Hi R users,

I have a problem about using R studio. For example, there is a dataframe
that has many columns. I want to aggregated column X and column Y into
column Z. Column Z does not exist before the aggregation. I use the code
below:
df$Z = df$X + df$Y

However, it does not work in the top left panel in Rstudio, and has the
following warning message:
Error in `$<-.data.frame`(`*tmp*`, "Z", value = numeric(0)) :
  replacement has 0 rows, data has 34333

If I type the same code in the Console panel (bottom left panel), it works.
How to deal with this problem? Thanks.

Re: About error in the panel

lily li
More specifically,  it shows the following when I typed traceback():

3: stop(sprintf(ngettext(N, "replacement has %d row, data has %d",
       "replacement has %d rows, data has %d"), N, nrows), domain = NA)
2: `$<-.data.frame`(`*tmp*`, "Z", value = numeric(0))
1: `$<-`(`*tmp*`, "Z", value = numeric(0))

I don't know what is the problem, as it works in the Console panel but not
in the top left panel. Thanks for your help.

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 11:50 AM, lily li <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi R users,
>
> I have a problem about using R studio. For example, there is a dataframe
> that has many columns. I want to aggregated column X and column Y into
> column Z. Column Z does not exist before the aggregation. I use the code
> below:
> df$Z = df$X + df$Y
>
> However, it does not work in the top left panel in Rstudio, and has the
> following warning message:
> Error in `$<-.data.frame`(`*tmp*`, "Z", value = numeric(0)) :
>   replacement has 0 rows, data has 34333
>
> If I type the same code in the Console panel (bottom left panel), it
> works. How to deal with this problem? Thanks.

Re: About error in the panel

Bert Gunter-2
1. Not reproducible, hence impossible to say.

2. This is r-help. RStudio is totally separate and its own support page.

3. A guess: Use are sourcing the entire script in the editor panel
into R, and there is something screwed up there.

Cheers,
Bert

and sticking things into it."

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 10:50 AM, lily li <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi R users,
>
> I have a problem about using R studio. For example, there is a dataframe
> that has many columns. I want to aggregated column X and column Y into
> column Z. Column Z does not exist before the aggregation. I use the code
> below:
> df$Z = df$X + df$Y
>
> However, it does not work in the top left panel in Rstudio, and has the
> following warning message:
> Error in `$<-.data.frame`(`*tmp*`, "Z", value = numeric(0)) :
>   replacement has 0 rows, data has 34333
>
> If I type the same code in the Console panel (bottom left panel), it works.
> How to deal with this problem? Thanks.

Re: About error in the panel

lily li
Thanks for your reply. I thought anything about R questions can be posted
here.

About your third point, what does it mean? I did the same thing before for
other scripts, but this one does not work. Thanks again.

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> 1. Not reproducible, hence impossible to say.
>
> 2. This is r-help. RStudio is totally separate and its own support page.
>
> 3. A guess: Use are sourcing the entire script in the editor panel
> into R, and there is something screwed up there.
>
> Cheers,
> Bert
>

> Bert Gunter

> and sticking things into it."
>

> On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 10:50 AM, lily li <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi R users,
> >
> > I have a problem about using R studio. For example, there is a dataframe
> > that has many columns. I want to aggregated column X and column Y into
> > column Z. Column Z does not exist before the aggregation. I use the code
> > below:
> > df$Z = df$X + df$Y
> >
> > However, it does not work in the top left panel in Rstudio, and has the
> > following warning message:
> > Error in `$<-.data.frame`(`*tmp*`, "Z", value = numeric(0)) :
> >   replacement has 0 rows, data has 34333
> >
> > If I type the same code in the Console panel (bottom left panel), it
> works.
> > How to deal with this problem? Thanks.

> posting-guide.html

Re: About error in the panel

Bert Gunter-2
Typo, should be:

3. A guess: You are sourcing the entire script in the editor panel
into R, and there is something screwed up there.

-- Bert

and sticking things into it."

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 11:14 AM, lily li <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. I thought anything about R questions can be posted
> here.
>
> About your third point, what does it mean? I did the same thing before for
> other scripts, but this one does not work. Thanks again.
>
> On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> 1. Not reproducible, hence impossible to say.
>>
>> 2. This is r-help. RStudio is totally separate and its own support page.
>>
>> 3. A guess: Use are sourcing the entire script in the editor panel
>> into R, and there is something screwed up there.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bert
>>

>> Bert Gunter
>>
>> "The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along
>> and sticking things into it."
>>

>> On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 10:50 AM, lily li <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi R users,
>> >
>> > I have a problem about using R studio. For example, there is a dataframe
>> > that has many columns. I want to aggregated column X and column Y into
>> > column Z. Column Z does not exist before the aggregation. I use the code
>> > below:
>> > df$Z = df$X + df$Y
>> >
>> > However, it does not work in the top left panel in Rstudio, and has the
>> > following warning message:
>> > Error in `$<-.data.frame`(`*tmp*`, "Z", value = numeric(0)) :
>> >   replacement has 0 rows, data has 34333
>> >
>> > If I type the same code in the Console panel (bottom left panel), it
>> > works.
>> > How to deal with this problem? Thanks.
>> >
>> >         [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Re: About error in the panel

lily li
I think this is the problem. How to solve then?

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Typo, should be:
>
> 3. A guess: You are sourcing the entire script in the editor panel
> into R, and there is something screwed up there.
>
> -- Bert
>

> Bert Gunter

> and sticking things into it."
>

> On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 11:14 AM, lily li <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Thanks for your reply. I thought anything about R questions can be posted
> > here.
> >
> > About your third point, what does it mean? I did the same thing before
> for
> > other scripts, but this one does not work. Thanks again.
> >
> > On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> 1. Not reproducible, hence impossible to say.
> >>
> >> 2. This is r-help. RStudio is totally separate and its own support page.
> >>
> >> 3. A guess: Use are sourcing the entire script in the editor panel
> >> into R, and there is something screwed up there.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Bert
> >>

> >> Bert Gunter
> >>
> >> "The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along
> >> and sticking things into it."
> >> -- Opus (aka Berkeley Breathed in his "Bloom County" comic strip )

> dataframe
> code

> the

Re: About error in the panel

Jeff Newmiller
Copy one statement at a time into a new R session.  When you get an error you will know what you need to look at more closely. RStudio makes this easy with the Start New R Session menu option and using Ctrl-Enter in the editor.

On March 11, 2017 11:53:41 AM PST, lily li <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I think this is the problem. How to solve then?
>
>On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>> Typo, should be:
>>
>> 3. A guess: You are sourcing the entire script in the editor panel
>> into R, and there is something screwed up there.
>>
>> -- Bert
>>

>> Bert Gunter
>>
>> "The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming
>along
>> and sticking things into it."
>>

>> On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 11:14 AM, lily li <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>> > Thanks for your reply. I thought anything about R questions can be
>posted
>> > here.
>> >
>> > About your third point, what does it mean? I did the same thing
>before
>> for
>> > other scripts, but this one does not work. Thanks again.
>> >
>> > On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Bert Gunter
><[hidden email]>

>page.

>along

>> dataframe
>Y into
>the
>> code

>has
>> the

>panel), it

>code.

Re: About error in the panel

R help mailing list-2
You will get this error if 'df' does not have columns named "X" and
"Y", so df$X or df$Y is NULL.  E.g.,
  > df <- data.frame(One=1:3, Two=11:13)
  > df$Three <- df$One + df$noSuchColumn
  Error in `$<-.data.frame`(`*tmp*`, "Three", value = numeric(0)) :
    replacement has 0 rows, data has 3

What does names(df) show in the different panels?

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com