Accessing defunct package

Fisher Dennis
R 3.2.0
OS X

Colleagues,

In the past, I used a package:
        SASxport
to output files to SAS’s XPT format.  This was useful because FDA requests that data be submitted in that format (even though they typically must reconvert to some other format before the data are used).

It appears that the package is no longer available at CRAN:
        Package ‘SASxport’ was removed from the CRAN repository.
        Formerly available versions can be obtained from the archive.
        Archived on 2015-06-09 as errors were not corrected despite reminders.

I have a previously-functioning version of the package on my computer.  When I attempt to load it with:
        require("SASxport", lib.loc=“/PATH/TOt/R-Packages")
R responds:
        Failed with error: ‘package ‘SASxport’ was built before R 3.0.0: please re-install it’

Other than reinstalling an old version of R (< 3.0.0), is there some way that I can use the package?

Dennis

Dennis Fisher MD
P < (The "P Less Than" Company)
Phone: 1-866-PLessThan (1-866-753-7784)
Fax: 1-866-PLessThan (1-866-753-7784)
www.PLessThan.com

Re: Accessing defunct package

bbolker
Dennis Fisher <fisher <at> plessthan.com> writes:

> Colleagues,
>
> In the past, I used a package:
> SASxport
> to output files to SAS’s XPT format.  This was useful because FDA requests
that data be submitted in that
> format (even though they typically must reconvert to some other format
before the data are used).

  [snip]

  Try this?

library("devtools")
install_version("SASxport","1.5.0")

or download the last archived version from

https://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/SASxport/SASxport_1.5.0.tar.gz

and use R CMD INSTALL from the command line or
install.packages(<filename>,repos=NULL)

Re: Accessing defunct package

Marc Schwartz-3

> On Sep 25, 2015, at 9:25 AM, Dennis Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> R 3.2.0
> OS X
>
> Colleagues,
>
> In the past, I used a package:
> SASxport
> to output files to SAS’s XPT format.  This was useful because FDA requests that data be submitted in that format (even though they typically must reconvert to some other format before the data are used).
>
> It appears that the package is no longer available at CRAN:
> Package ‘SASxport’ was removed from the CRAN repository.
> Formerly available versions can be obtained from the archive.
> Archived on 2015-06-09 as errors were not corrected despite reminders.
>
> I have a previously-functioning version of the package on my computer.  When I attempt to load it with:
> require("SASxport", lib.loc=“/PATH/TOt/R-Packages")
> R responds:
> Failed with error: ‘package ‘SASxport’ was built before R 3.0.0: please re-install it’
>
> Other than reinstalling an old version of R (< 3.0.0), is there some way that I can use the package?
>
> Dennis

Dennis,

A search would seem to suggest that Greg is no longer supporting the package.

Despite the XPORT format being openly documented (as opposed to the SAS7BDAT format), I am not rapidly locating other free resources to *write* xport files, while there are a number of them to *read* xport files.

Thus, one commercial (not free) conversion application that is independent of SAS is StatTransfer, which may be worth your investment if you are doing this quite a bit:

  http://www.stattransfer.com

Regards,

Marc Schwartz

Re: Accessing defunct package

Jeff Newmiller
Obtain the source package and fix it? Most errors are relatively minor adjustments that just require reading the updated "Writing R Extensions" document to figure out. You might be unlucky, but I think the odds are in your favor.
                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing

On September 25, 2015 7:25:33 AM PDT, Dennis Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:

>R 3.2.0
>OS X
>
>Colleagues,
>
>In the past, I used a package:
> SASxport
>to output files to SAS’s XPT format.  This was useful because FDA
>requests that data be submitted in that format (even though they
>typically must reconvert to some other format before the data are
>used).
>
>It appears that the package is no longer available at CRAN:
> Package ‘SASxport’ was removed from the CRAN repository.
> Formerly available versions can be obtained from the archive.
> Archived on 2015-06-09 as errors were not corrected despite reminders.
>
>I have a previously-functioning version of the package on my computer.
>When I attempt to load it with:
> require("SASxport", lib.loc=“/PATH/TOt/R-Packages")
>R responds:
> Failed with error: ‘package ‘SASxport’ was built before R 3.0.0:
>please re-install it’
>
>Other than reinstalling an old version of R (< 3.0.0), is there some
>way that I can use the package?
>
>Dennis
>
>Dennis Fisher MD
>P < (The "P Less Than" Company)
>Phone: 1-866-PLessThan (1-866-753-7784)
>Fax: 1-866-PLessThan (1-866-753-7784)
>www.PLessThan.com

Re: Accessing defunct package

David Winsemius
I think it might be even simpler at least for now. The error checking done by CRAN can be more rigorous than that done when an installation is done locally. I don't see a report in the current package checks listing of what error was identified, but experimentation is always an option.  When I download the last archived version and install from source I get no error on R 3.2.2 (Mac-SL fork):

install.packages('~/Downloads/SASxport_1.5.0.tar.gz', repos = NULL , type="source")

Best;
David.

On Sep 25, 2015, at 8:08 AM, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

> Obtain the source package and fix it? Most errors are relatively minor adjustments that just require reading the updated "Writing R Extensions" document to figure out. You might be unlucky, but I think the odds are in your favor.
> Jeff Newmiller                        The     .....       .....  Go Live...
> DCN:<[hidden email]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
>                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing
> Research Engineer (Solar/Batteries            O.O#.       #.O#.  with
> /Software/Embedded Controllers)               .OO#.       .OO#.  rocks...1k
>
> On September 25, 2015 7:25:33 AM PDT, Dennis Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> R 3.2.0
>> OS X
>>
>> Colleagues,
>>
>> In the past, I used a package:
>> SASxport
>> to output files to SAS’s XPT format.  This was useful because FDA
>> requests that data be submitted in that format (even though they
>> typically must reconvert to some other format before the data are
>> used).
>>
>> It appears that the package is no longer available at CRAN:
>> Package ‘SASxport’ was removed from the CRAN repository.
>> Formerly available versions can be obtained from the archive.
>> Archived on 2015-06-09 as errors were not corrected despite reminders.
>>
>> I have a previously-functioning version of the package on my computer.
>> When I attempt to load it with:
>> require("SASxport", lib.loc=“/PATH/TOt/R-Packages")
>> R responds:
>> Failed with error: ‘package ‘SASxport’ was built before R 3.0.0:
>> please re-install it’
>>
>> Other than reinstalling an old version of R (< 3.0.0), is there some
>> way that I can use the package?
>>
>> Dennis
>>
>> Dennis Fisher MD
>> P < (The "P Less Than" Company)
>> Phone: 1-866-PLessThan (1-866-753-7784)
>> Fax: 1-866-PLessThan (1-866-753-7784)
>> www.PLessThan.com

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA

Re: Accessing defunct package

Fisher Dennis
David

Thanks for suggesting this.  Three issues of note:

1.  I too work on a Mac.  When I downloaded the last archived version (which has a .gz extension), OS X automatically unzipped the file and removed the .gz extension.  I was able to gzip the file so that I could execute your exact command.  However, I am curious whether you were able to download without OS X unzipping it.

2.  When I executed your exact command, I received one warning message:
        SASxport.c:695:10: warning: unused variable 'dbl' [-Wunused-variable]
I presume that this can be ignored.  Am I correct?

3.  Did you actually run the write.xport command?  I did so and it failed on a number of files (but worked on others).  Failures yielded the following error:
        Error in nchar(var) : invalid multibyte string 3157
I traced the problem in this instance to the following text:
        DIARRH¸æéñåºA
Other than editing the object to remove errant text, is there some general way to prevent this error?

> [...]

>>> to output files to SAS’s XPT format.  This was useful because FDA
>>> requests that data be submitted in that format (even though they
>>> typically must reconvert to some other format before the data are
>>> used).
>>>
>>> It appears that the package is no longer available at CRAN:
>>> Package ‘SASxport’ was removed from the CRAN repository.
>>> Formerly available versions can be obtained from the archive.
>>> Archived on 2015-06-09 as errors were not corrected despite reminders.
>>>
>>> I have a previously-functioning version of the package on my computer.
>>> When I attempt to load it with:
>>> require("SASxport", lib.loc=“/PATH/TOt/R-Packages")
>>> R responds:
>>> Failed with error: ‘package ‘SASxport’ was built before R 3.0.0:
>>> please re-install it’
>>>
>>> Other than reinstalling an old version of R (< 3.0.0), is there some

Sarah Goslee
Not an R question, but tangentially relevant:

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 2:23 PM, Dennis Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> David
>
> Thanks for suggesting this.  Three issues of note:
>
> 1.  I too work on a Mac.  When I downloaded the last archived version (which has a .gz extension), OS X automatically unzipped the file and removed the .gz extension.  I was able to gzip the file so that I could execute your exact command.  However, I am curious whether you were able to download without OS X unzipping it.

Forever or for one download, it's a Safari setting:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1483114?start=0&tstart=0

And if you forget, the zipped version is in your Trash.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee
http://www.functionaldiversity.org

On Sep 25, 2015, at 11:23 AM, Dennis Fisher wrote:

> David
>
> Thanks for suggesting this.  Three issues of note:
>
> 1.  I too work on a Mac.  When I downloaded the last archived version (which has a .gz extension), OS X automatically unzipped the file and removed the .gz extension.  I was able to gzip the file so that I could execute your exact command.  However, I am curious whether you were able to download without OS X unzipping it.

I use Firefox and had no trouble. I think Sarah has probably identified the difference in our workflow.

> 2.  When I executed your exact command, I received one warning message:
> SASxport.c:695:10: warning: unused variable 'dbl' [-Wunused-variable]
> I presume that this can be ignored.  Am I correct?

I'm not sure. It certainly sounds ignorable to me. I did not see such a warning.

> 3.  Did you actually run the write.xport command?  I did so and it failed on a number of files (but worked on others).  Failures yielded the following error:
> Error in nchar(var) : invalid multibyte string 3157
> I traced the problem in this instance to the following text:
> DIARRH¸æéñåºA
> Other than editing the object to remove errant text, is there some general way to prevent this error?

No. I have never used SASxport. I was merely reporting (apparent) success in installing it from source on a Mac SL branch 3.2.1.

I get no error when I run the example on the help page:

> abc <- data.frame( x=c(1, 2, NA, NA ), y=c('a', 'B', NA, '*' ) )
>
> ## look at it
> abc
   x    y
1  1    a
2  2    B
3 NA <NA>
4 NA    *

> ## add a format specifier (not used by R)
> SASformat(abc$x) <- 'date7.'
>
> ## add a variable label (not used by R)
> label(abc$y) <- 'character variable'
>
> ## add a dataset label and type
> label(abc) <- 'Simple example'
> SAStype(abc) <- 'MYTYPE'
>
> ## verify the additions
> str(abc)
'data.frame': 4 obs. of  2 variables:
 $ x: atomic  1 2 NA NA
  ..- attr(*, "SASformat")= chr "date7."
 $ y: Factor w/ 3 levels "*","a","B": 2 3 NA 1
  ..- attr(*, "label")= chr "character variable"
 - attr(*, "label")= chr "Simple example"
 - attr(*, "SAStype")= chr "MYTYPE"

> # create a SAS XPORT file
> write.xport( abc, file="xxx.dat" )

I think a minimal example would be needed. I'm wondering if one of those weird `ea`-ligatures might be tripping you up when spelling 'diarrhea'.

--
David.

> Dennis
>
> Dennis Fisher MD
> P < (The "P Less Than" Company)
> Phone: 1-866-PLessThan (1-866-753-7784)
> Fax: 1-866-PLessThan (1-866-753-7784)
> www.PLessThan.com
>

>> On Sep 25, 2015, at 1:00 PM, David Winsemius <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I think it might be even simpler at least for now. The error checking done by CRAN can be more rigorous than that done when an installation is done locally. I don't see a report in the current package checks listing of what error was identified, but experimentation is always an option.  When I download the last archived version and install from source I get no error on R 3.2.2 (Mac-SL fork):
>>
>> install.packages('~/Downloads/SASxport_1.5.0.tar.gz', repos = NULL , type="source")
>>
>> Best;
>> David.
>>

>> On Sep 25, 2015, at 8:08 AM, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
>>
>>> Obtain the source package and fix it? Most errors are relatively minor adjustments that just require reading the updated "Writing R Extensions" document to figure out. You might be unlucky, but I think the odds are in your favor.
>>> Jeff Newmiller                        The     .....       .....  Go Live...
>>> DCN:<[hidden email]>        Basics: ##.#.       ##.#.  Live Go...
>>>                                    Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing
>>> Research Engineer (Solar/Batteries            O.O#.       #.O#.  with
>>> /Software/Embedded Controllers)               .OO#.       .OO#.  rocks...1k
>>> Sent from my phone. Please excuse my brevity.

>> David Winsemius
>> Alameda, CA, USA

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA