Adding lines to the page

stats.student4647
Hi, I'm looking for a way to add lines to a report. To be clear, I don't want to add lines to any specific plot, but instead to add line(s) to the page itself - e.g. add a line to the footer area, above the actual footer text.

Any thoughts on how to do this? Many thanks.

Re: Adding lines to the page

Jeff Newmiller
That would depend how you are generating the page... plots alone don't really have such options. If you don't know what this means then I suggest you read the Reproducible Research Task View [1]. knitr in conjunction with LaTeX (Rnw files) is very powerful, but there are many other tools as well (e.g. bookdown) depending on your preferences.

[1] https://cran.r-project.org/web/views/ReproducibleResearch.html

On June 27, 2018 1:53:58 PM PDT, Stats Student <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi, I'm looking for a way to add lines to a report. To be clear, I
>don't want to add lines to any specific plot, but instead to add
>line(s) to the page itself - e.g. add a line to the footer area, above
>the actual footer text.
>
>Any thoughts on how to do this? Many thanks.

Re: Adding lines to the page

stats.student4647
Thanks, Jeff. The Task View page was very informative.

To answer your question, I'm using ggplot to generate my plots and grid/gridExtra/gtable to place those plots on a page.

Considering that there are ways to add text on a page through textGrobs, independent of the plots, I was wondering if there was a similar functionality for adding lines. Also noticed a package called pagenum for adding page numbers.

knitr is certainly interesting, but might be an overkill for what I am trying to do (creating basic multipage reports with basic headers, footers).

On Jun 27, 2018, 2:07 PM, at 2:07 PM, Jeff Newmiller <[hidden email]> wrote:

>That would depend how you are generating the page... plots alone don't
>really have such options. If you don't know what this means then I
>suggest you read the Reproducible Research Task View [1]. knitr in
>conjunction with LaTeX (Rnw files) is very powerful, but there are many
>other tools as well (e.g. bookdown) depending on your preferences.
>
>[1] https://cran.r-project.org/web/views/ReproducibleResearch.html
>
>On June 27, 2018 1:53:58 PM PDT, Stats Student
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>Hi, I'm looking for a way to add lines to a report. To be clear, I
>>don't want to add lines to any specific plot, but instead to add
>>line(s) to the page itself - e.g. add a line to the footer area, above
>>the actual footer text.
>>
>>Any thoughts on how to do this? Many thanks.

>--
>Sent from my phone. Please excuse my brevity.

Re: Adding lines to the page

Bert Gunter-2
"Considering that there are ways to add text on a page through textGrobs.."

... and the linesGrob() function would do the same for lines, no?

Cheers,
Bert

sticking things into it."

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 3:56 PM, Stats Student <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks, Jeff. The Task View page was very informative.
>
> To answer your question, I'm using ggplot to generate my plots and
> grid/gridExtra/gtable to place those plots on a page.
>
> Considering that there are ways to add text on a page through textGrobs,
> independent of the plots, I was wondering if there was a similar
> functionality for adding lines. Also noticed a package called pagenum for
> adding page numbers.
>
> knitr is certainly interesting, but might be an overkill for what I am
> trying to do (creating basic multipage reports with basic headers,
> footers).
>

> On Jun 27, 2018, 2:07 PM, at 2:07 PM, Jeff Newmiller <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >That would depend how you are generating the page... plots alone don't
> >really have such options. If you don't know what this means then I
> >suggest you read the Reproducible Research Task View [1]. knitr in
> >conjunction with LaTeX (Rnw files) is very powerful, but there are many
> >other tools as well (e.g. bookdown) depending on your preferences.
> >
> >[1] https://cran.r-project.org/web/views/ReproducibleResearch.html
> >
> >On June 27, 2018 1:53:58 PM PDT, Stats Student
> ><[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>Hi, I'm looking for a way to add lines to a report. To be clear, I
> >>don't want to add lines to any specific plot, but instead to add
> >>line(s) to the page itself - e.g. add a line to the footer area, above
> >>the actual footer text.
> >>
> >>Any thoughts on how to do this? Many thanks.

> >>and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
> >
> >--
> >Sent from my phone. Please excuse my brevity.

> posting-guide.html

Re: Adding lines to the page

Richard M. Heiberger
See if the microplot package provides what you need.
The package help file and the vignette will get you started.
Microplot works with Hmisc::latex or with MS Word into either Word or HTML.

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 19:04 Stats Student <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks, Jeff. The Task View page was very informative.
>
> To answer your question, I'm using ggplot to generate my plots and
> grid/gridExtra/gtable to place those plots on a page.
>
> Considering that there are ways to add text on a page through textGrobs,
> independent of the plots, I was wondering if there was a similar
> functionality for adding lines. Also noticed a package called pagenum for
> adding page numbers.
>
> knitr is certainly interesting, but might be an overkill for what I am
> trying to do (creating basic multipage reports with basic headers,
> footers).
>

> On Jun 27, 2018, 2:07 PM, at 2:07 PM, Jeff Newmiller <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >That would depend how you are generating the page... plots alone don't
> >really have such options. If you don't know what this means then I
> >suggest you read the Reproducible Research Task View [1]. knitr in
> >conjunction with LaTeX (Rnw files) is very powerful, but there are many
> >other tools as well (e.g. bookdown) depending on your preferences.
> >
> >[1] https://cran.r-project.org/web/views/ReproducibleResearch.html
> >
> >On June 27, 2018 1:53:58 PM PDT, Stats Student
> ><[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>Hi, I'm looking for a way to add lines to a report. To be clear, I
> >>don't want to add lines to any specific plot, but instead to add
> >>line(s) to the page itself - e.g. add a line to the footer area, above
> >>the actual footer text.
> >>
> >>Any thoughts on how to do this? Many thanks.

> >>and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.
> >
> >--
> >Sent from my phone. Please excuse my brevity.

Re: Adding lines to the page

stats.student4647
Didn't know about linesGrob(). Thanks