Application of rolling window in entropy analysis

Application of rolling window in entropy analysis

Subhamitra Patra
Dear all R users,

I want to apply the entropy methods in rolling window analysis. I tried
with the rollapply function, but it is not working. For your convenience, I
am providing my code so that you can easily suggest me the application of
rolling window in the particular methodology. Here is my code

N<-nrow(ts)
r<-matrix(0, nrow = N, ncol = 1)
for (i in 1:N){
     r[i]<-approx_entropy(ts[,i], edim = 2, r = 0.2*sd(ts[,i]), elag = 1)
}

Kindly suggest me how to apply rolling window size of 500 in the particular
time series model?

I expect positive help from you.

Thanks in advance.

--
*Best Regards,*
*Subhamitra Patra*

[image: Mailtrack]
Sender
notified by
Mailtrack
11/02/18,
2:44:12 PM

Re: Application of rolling window in entropy analysis

Eric Berger
Hi,
You have some problems with your setup. You set N based on the number of
rows in ts, but then in the call to approx_entropy you write ts[,i].
Note that ts[,i] is the i'th column of ts, whereas your definition of i
implies it is based on row numbers.

Maybe this is leading you to see problems elsewhere. From the rollapply
documentation I don't see any reason why it would not work with the
approx_entropy function.

Best,
Eric

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 11:16 AM Subhamitra Patra <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear all R users,
>
> I want to apply the entropy methods in rolling window analysis. I tried
> with the rollapply function, but it is not working. For your convenience, I
> am providing my code so that you can easily suggest me the application of
> rolling window in the particular methodology. Here is my code
>
> N<-nrow(ts)
> r<-matrix(0, nrow = N, ncol = 1)
> for (i in 1:N){
>      r[i]<-approx_entropy(ts[,i], edim = 2, r = 0.2*sd(ts[,i]), elag = 1)
> }
>
> Kindly suggest me how to apply rolling window size of 500 in the particular
> time series model?
>
> I expect positive help from you.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> *Best Regards,*
> *Subhamitra Patra*
> *Phd. Research Scholar*
> *Department of Humanities and Social Sciences*
> *Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur*
> *INDIA*
>

> [image: Mailtrack]
> <
> https://mailtrack.io?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality5&
> >
> Sender
> notified by
> Mailtrack
> <
> https://mailtrack.io?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality5&
> >
> 11/02/18,
> 2:44:12 PM

Re: Application of rolling window in entropy analysis

Subhamitra Patra
Thank you for the clarification. I checked and there was a small
mistakes in the code. Now my code is

ts= India[-1,]   #####For deleting the year row
N<-ncol(ts)
r<-matrix(0, ncol = N, nrow = 1)
library(pracma)
for (i in 1:N){
       r[i]<-approx_entropy(ts[,i], edim = 2, r = 0.2*sd(ts[,i]), elag = 1)
}

Even with this code also, I am unable to apply rollapply function.

Kindly help me.

[image: Mailtrack]
Sender
notified by
Mailtrack
11/02/18,
3:44:26 PM

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 3:42 PM Eric Berger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> You have some problems with your setup. You set N based on the number of
> rows in ts, but then in the call to approx_entropy you write ts[,i].
> Note that ts[,i] is the i'th column of ts, whereas your definition of i
> implies it is based on row numbers.
>
> Maybe this is leading you to see problems elsewhere. From the rollapply
> documentation I don't see any reason why it would not work with the
> approx_entropy function.
>
> Best,
> Eric
>

> On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 11:16 AM Subhamitra Patra <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear all R users,
>>
>> I want to apply the entropy methods in rolling window analysis. I tried
>> with the rollapply function, but it is not working. For your convenience,
>> am providing my code so that you can easily suggest me the application of
>> rolling window in the particular methodology. Here is my code
>>
>> N<-nrow(ts)
>> r<-matrix(0, nrow = N, ncol = 1)
>> for (i in 1:N){
>>      r[i]<-approx_entropy(ts[,i], edim = 2, r = 0.2*sd(ts[,i]), elag = 1)
>> }
>>
>> Kindly suggest me how to apply rolling window size of 500 in the
>> particular
>> time series model?
>>
>> I expect positive help from you.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> --
>> *Best Regards,*
>> *Subhamitra Patra*
>> *Phd. Research Scholar*
>> *Department of Humanities and Social Sciences*
>> *Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur*
>> *INDIA*
>>

>> [image: Mailtrack]
>> <
>> https://mailtrack.io?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality5&
>> >
>> Sender
>> notified by
>> Mailtrack
>> <
>> https://mailtrack.io?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality5&
>> >
>> 11/02/18,
>> 2:44:12 PM

*Best Regards,*
*Subhamitra Patra*
*Phd. Research Scholar*
*Department of Humanities and Social Sciences*
*Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur*
*INDIA*

Re: Application of rolling window in entropy analysis

Eric Berger
How about something like this:

ts= India[-1,]   #####For deleting the year row
N<-ncol(ts)
width <- 500
M <- nrow(ts) - width
r<-matrix(0, ncol = N, nrow = M)
library(pracma)
for (i in 1:N){
       r[,i]<-rollapply( data=ts[,i], width=width, FUN=approx_entropy, edim
= 2, r = 0.2*sd(ts[,i]), elag = 1, align="right")

Eric

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 12:15 PM Subhamitra Patra <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thank you for the clarification. I checked and there was a small
> mistakes in the code. Now my code is
>
> ts= India[-1,]   #####For deleting the year row
> N<-ncol(ts)
> r<-matrix(0, ncol = N, nrow = 1)
> library(pracma)
> for (i in 1:N){
>        r[i]<-approx_entropy(ts[,i], edim = 2, r = 0.2*sd(ts[,i]), elag = 1)
> }
>
> Even with this code also, I am unable to apply rollapply function.
>
> Kindly help me.
>

> [image: Mailtrack]
> <https://mailtrack.io?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality5&> Sender
> notified by
> Mailtrack
> <https://mailtrack.io?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality5&> 11/02/18,
> 3:44:26 PM
>
> On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 3:42 PM Eric Berger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> You have some problems with your setup. You set N based on the number of
>> rows in ts, but then in the call to approx_entropy you write ts[,i].
>> Note that ts[,i] is the i'th column of ts, whereas your definition of i
>> implies it is based on row numbers.
>>
>> Maybe this is leading you to see problems elsewhere. From the rollapply
>> documentation I don't see any reason why it would not work with the
>> approx_entropy function.
>>
>> Best,
>> Eric
>>

>> On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 11:16 AM Subhamitra Patra <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all R users,
>>>
>>> I want to apply the entropy methods in rolling window analysis. I tried
>>> with the rollapply function, but it is not working. For your
>>> convenience, I
>>> am providing my code so that you can easily suggest me the application of
>>> rolling window in the particular methodology. Here is my code
>>>
>>> N<-nrow(ts)
>>> r<-matrix(0, nrow = N, ncol = 1)
>>> for (i in 1:N){
>>>      r[i]<-approx_entropy(ts[,i], edim = 2, r = 0.2*sd(ts[,i]), elag = 1)
>>> }
>>>
>>> Kindly suggest me how to apply rolling window size of 500 in the
>>> particular
>>> time series model?
>>>
>>> I expect positive help from you.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> --
>>> *Best Regards,*
>>> *Subhamitra Patra*
>>> *Phd. Research Scholar*
>>> *Department of Humanities and Social Sciences*
>>> *Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur*
>>> *INDIA*
>>>

>>> [image: Mailtrack]
>>> <
>>> https://mailtrack.io?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality5&
>>> >
>>> Sender
>>> notified by
>>> Mailtrack
>>> <
>>> https://mailtrack.io?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality5&
>>> >
>>> 11/02/18,
>>> 2:44:12 PM

> *Best Regards,*
> *Subhamitra Patra*
> *Phd. Research Scholar*
> *Department of Humanities and Social Sciences*
> *Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur*
> *INDIA*

Re: Application of rolling window in entropy analysis

Subhamitra Patra
ts= India[-1,]
N<-ncol(ts)
width <- 500
M <- nrow(ts) - width
r<-matrix(0, ncol = N, nrow = M)
library(pracma)
for (i in 1:N){
       r[,i]<-rollapply( data=ts[,i], width=width, FUN=approx_entropy, edim
= 2, r = 0.2*sd(ts[,i]), elag = 1, align="right")
}

This is my entropy value which I am interested to use in rolling window
size of 500. I applied rollapply function, but it is not working.

Kindly help me out

[image: Mailtrack]
Sender
notified by
Mailtrack
11/02/18,
4:02:18 PM

--
*Best Regards,*
*Subhamitra Patra*
*Phd. Research Scholar*
*Department of Humanities and Social Sciences*
*Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur*
*INDIA*

Re: Application of rolling window in entropy analysis

Eric Berger
You have not provided any information that leads you to write 'it is not
working'.
Can you be specific?
Are you getting error messages? What are they?
etc
etc