Auto Data in the ISLR Package

AbouEl-Makarim Aboueissa-3
Dear All:

I would like to create a subset data set *with only* all Ford and all
Toyota cars from the Auto data set  in ISLR R Package.  Thank you very much
in advance.

Please use the following code to see how is the data look like.

install.packages("ISLR")
library(ISLR)
data(Auto)
head(Auto)

with many thanks
abou
______________________

*AbouEl-Makarim Aboueissa, PhD*

*Professor of Statistics*

*Department of Mathematics and Statistics*
*University of Southern Maine*

Re: Auto Data in the ISLR Package

Bert Gunter-2
I did not care to load the packages -- small reproducible examples are
preferable, as the posting guide suggests.

But, if I have understood correctly:

See, e.g. ?subset

Alternatively, you can read up on indexing data frames in any good basic R
tutorial.

Cheers,
Bert

sticking things into it."

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 11:44 AM, AbouEl-Makarim Aboueissa <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear All:
>
> I would like to create a subset data set *with only* all Ford and all
> Toyota cars from the Auto data set  in ISLR R Package.  Thank you very much
> in advance.
>
> Please use the following code to see how is the data look like.
>

> install.packages("ISLR")
> library(ISLR)
> data(Auto)
> head(Auto)
>

> with many thanks
> abou
> ______________________
>

> *AbouEl-Makarim Aboueissa, PhD*
>
> *Professor of Statistics*
>
> *Department of Mathematics and Statistics*
> *University of Southern Maine*

> posting-guide.html

Re: Auto Data in the ISLR Package

Eric Berger
myAuto <- Auto[ grep("ford|toyota",Auto$name),]

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 10:28 PM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I did not care to load the packages -- small reproducible examples are
> preferable, as the posting guide suggests.
>
> But, if I have understood correctly:
>
> See, e.g. ?subset
>
> Alternatively, you can read up on indexing data frames in any good basic R
> tutorial.
>
> Cheers,
> Bert
>
> Bert Gunter

> sticking things into it."
>
> On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 11:44 AM, AbouEl-Makarim Aboueissa <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Dear All:
> >
> > I would like to create a subset data set *with only* all Ford and all
> > Toyota cars from the Auto data set  in ISLR R Package.  Thank you very
> much
> > in advance.
> >
> > Please use the following code to see how is the data look like.
> >

> > install.packages("ISLR")
> > library(ISLR)
> > data(Auto)
> > head(Auto)
> >

> > with many thanks
> > abou
> > ______________________
> >

> > *AbouEl-Makarim Aboueissa, PhD*
> >
> > *Professor of Statistics*
> >
> > *Department of Mathematics and Statistics*
> > *University of Southern Maine*

> > posting-guide.html

> posting-guide.html

Re: Auto Data in the ISLR Package

Peter Dalgaard-2
That probably works in this case, but it would cause grief if another car make had "ford" somewhere inside its name e.g. "bedford". Safer general practice is

Auto[Auto$name %in% c("ford", "toyota"),]

or similar using subset().

-pd

> On 17 Dec 2017, at 09:10 , Eric Berger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> myAuto <- Auto[ grep("ford|toyota",Auto$name),]
>

> On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 10:28 PM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I did not care to load the packages -- small reproducible examples are
>> preferable, as the posting guide suggests.
>>
>> But, if I have understood correctly:
>>
>> See, e.g. ?subset
>>
>> Alternatively, you can read up on indexing data frames in any good basic R
>> tutorial.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bert
>>
>> Bert Gunter
>>
>> "The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along and
>> sticking things into it."
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 11:44 AM, AbouEl-Makarim Aboueissa <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All:
>>>
>>> I would like to create a subset data set *with only* all Ford and all
>>> Toyota cars from the Auto data set  in ISLR R Package.  Thank you very
>> much
>>> in advance.
>>>
>>> Please use the following code to see how is the data look like.
>>>

>>> install.packages("ISLR")
>>> library(ISLR)
>>> data(Auto)
>>> head(Auto)
>>>

>>> with many thanks
>>> abou
>>> ______________________
>>>

>>> *AbouEl-Makarim Aboueissa, PhD*
>>>
>>> *Professor of Statistics*
>>>
>>> *Department of Mathematics and Statistics*
>>> *University of Southern Maine*

>>> posting-guide.html

>> posting-guide.html

Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Office: A 4.23

Re: Auto Data in the ISLR Package

Eric Berger
Hi Peter,
I looked at the Auto data frame and tested before I sent my reply. The
entries in the "name" column are actually models, such as

> head(Auto$name)
[1] chevrolet chevelle malibu buick skylark 320         plymouth satellite
      amc rebel sst
[5] ford torino               ford galaxie 500

What you are suggesting won't work. I agree with your "bedford" example as
a problem, but given the size of the result set in this case (~73 rows)
it's easy to eyeball the results and see if they're ok.

Regards,
Eric

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 11:00 AM, peter dalgaard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That probably works in this case, but it would cause grief if another car
> make had "ford" somewhere inside its name e.g. "bedford". Safer general
> practice is
>
> Auto[Auto$name %in% c("ford", "toyota"),]
>
> or similar using subset().
>
> -pd
>
> > On 17 Dec 2017, at 09:10 , Eric Berger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > myAuto <- Auto[ grep("ford|toyota",Auto$name),]
> >

> > On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 10:28 PM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I did not care to load the packages -- small reproducible examples are
> >> preferable, as the posting guide suggests.
> >>
> >> But, if I have understood correctly:
> >>
> >> See, e.g. ?subset
> >>
> >> Alternatively, you can read up on indexing data frames in any good
> basic R
> >> tutorial.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Bert
> >>
> >> Bert Gunter
> >>
> >> "The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along
> and
> >> sticking things into it."
> >> -- Opus (aka Berkeley Breathed in his "Bloom County" comic strip )

> >> much

> >>        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

> >> posting-guide.html

> posting-guide.html

> Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
> Phone: (+45)38153501
> Office: A 4.23

Re: Auto Data in the ISLR Package

AbouEl-Makarim Aboueissa-3
Dear Eric:

Thank you very much. It works nicely.

*Just one more thing;* how to create a new variable (say, *Make*) with *Make
= Ford* for the ford brand and *Make = T**oyota* for the toyota brand.

Once again thank you all.

abou

______________________

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 3:10 AM, Eric Berger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> myAuto <- Auto[ grep("ford|toyota",Auto$name),]
>

> On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 10:28 PM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I did not care to load the packages -- small reproducible examples are
>> preferable, as the posting guide suggests.
>>
>> But, if I have understood correctly:
>>
>> See, e.g. ?subset
>>
>> Alternatively, you can read up on indexing data frames in any good basic R
>> tutorial.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bert
>>
>> Bert Gunter
>>
>> "The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along and
>> sticking things into it."
>>
>> On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 11:44 AM, AbouEl-Makarim Aboueissa <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Dear All:
>> >
>> > I would like to create a subset data set *with only* all Ford and all
>> > Toyota cars from the Auto data set  in ISLR R Package.  Thank you very
>> much
>> > in advance.
>> >
>> > Please use the following code to see how is the data look like.
>> >

>> > install.packages("ISLR")
>> > library(ISLR)
>> > data(Auto)
>> > head(Auto)
>> >

>> > with many thanks
>> > abou
>> > ______________________
>> >

>> > *AbouEl-Makarim Aboueissa, PhD*
>> >
>> > *Professor of Statistics*
>> >
>> > *Department of Mathematics and Statistics*
>> > *University of Southern Maine*
>> >
>> >         [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

>> > posting-guide.html

>> ng-guide.html

Re: Auto Data in the ISLR Package

Eric Berger
myAuto <- Auto[ grep("ford|toyota",Auto$name),]
myAuto$Make <- NA
myAuto$Make[grep("ford",myAuto$name)] <- "Ford"
myAuto$Make[grep("toyota",myAuto$name)] <- "Toyota"

Regards,
Eric

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 11:58 AM, AbouEl-Makarim Aboueissa <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Eric:
>
> Thank you very much. It works nicely.
>
> *Just one more thing;* how to create a new variable (say, *Make*) with *Make
> = Ford* for the ford brand and *Make = T**oyota* for the toyota brand.
>
> Once again thank you all.
>
> abou
>
> ______________________
>

> *AbouEl-Makarim Aboueissa, PhD*
>
> *Professor of Statistics*
>
> *Department of Mathematics and Statistics*
> *University of Southern Maine*
>

> On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 3:10 AM, Eric Berger <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> myAuto <- Auto[ grep("ford|toyota",Auto$name),]
>>

>> On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 10:28 PM, Bert Gunter <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I did not care to load the packages -- small reproducible examples are
>>> preferable, as the posting guide suggests.
>>>
>>> But, if I have understood correctly:
>>>
>>> See, e.g. ?subset
>>>
>>> Alternatively, you can read up on indexing data frames in any good basic
>>> tutorial.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Bert
>>>
>>> Bert Gunter
>>>
>>> "The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along
>>> and
>>> sticking things into it."
>>> -- Opus (aka Berkeley Breathed in his "Bloom County" comic strip )

>>> much

>>> ng-guide.html

Re: Auto Data in the ISLR Package

AbouEl-Makarim Aboueissa-3