Automatic way to embed fonts into all pdf output?

Automatic way to embed fonts into all pdf output?

PaulJohnson32gmail
This is a feature request. Or else a howto request.  Can there be some
simple, automatic way to make fonts embed into pdf output? Could this be in
options() or par()?

Why?

I recently wanted to create a paper for a conference in a format called
AAAI (which I had never heard of before because I live in a cave).

http://www.aaai.org/Publications/Author/author.php

In their instructions for LaTeX, it has the statement:

All fonts must be embedded in the PDF file — this includes your figures.

I remember that after one creates a pdf file in R with the pdf device, one
can then add fonts to it with the embedFonts() function. But I forget!  And
this is difficult to explain to nonprogramemrs, who just want to put some
figures in a document.   I wish there were something I could put in
options() or par() or somewhere to just make this always happen.  I
understand this will make pdf files larger, but I'm willing to spend the
disk.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science      Assoc. Director

Re: Automatic way to embed fonts into all pdf output?

Pascal Oettli-2
Hello,

I don't know whether it is what you are looking for, but "cairo_pdf"
seems to embed the fonts automatically, if I am not mistaken.

pdf("russian1.pdf", width=3, height=0.8)
grid.text("\u0417\u0434\u0440\u0430\u0432\u0441\u0442\u0432\u0443\u0439\u0442\u0435
is 'hello' in Russian (Cyrillic)")
dev.off()

cairo_pdf("russian2.pdf", width=3, height=0.8)
grid.text("\u0417\u0434\u0440\u0430\u0432\u0441\u0442\u0432\u0443\u0439\u0442\u0435
is 'hello' in Russian (Cyrillic)")
dev.off()

Example taken and adapted from
Paul Murrell and Brian Ripley (2006) Non-standard fonts in PostScript
and PDF graphics. R News, 6(2):41–47.
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/Rnews/Rnews_2006-2.pdf

HTH,
Pascal