Background session with R

Threaded

Background session with R

Stravs, Michael
Hi,

I am working on some code to have a background R process running that I can submit data to, check computation progress, and retrieve results later. I am aware that "parallel" does a lot of that - however, "parallel" shuts down the nodes when I quit the master process. On the contrary, I would want these nodes to continue running, so I can fire up R again later and reconnect to the nodes to retrieve the results.

The use case is Shiny apps, where I want a thin frontend as a GUI, workflow launcher and result viewer, and launch background computation that isn't dependent on the Shiny script staying alive.

Has this been done already, and/or are there simple modifications of parallel/snow/etc that allow this? My current WIP thing uses Rserve.

(shiny-discuss cc'd).

Michael Stravs
Eawag
Umweltchemie
BU E 23
�berlandstrasse 133
8600 D�bendorf
+41 58 765 6742

Threaded

Re: Background session with R

Gábor Csárdi
You might find the https://github.com/r-lib/processx package useful.

Also, the dev version of https://github.com/r-lib/callr might be
useful. (The CRAN version of callr does not support background
processes.)

Gabor

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 6:12 PM, Stravs, Michael

> I am working on some code to have a background R process running that I can submit data to, check computation progress, and retrieve results later. I am aware that "parallel" does a lot of that - however, "parallel" shuts down the nodes when I quit the master process. On the contrary, I would want these nodes to continue running, so I can fire up R again later and reconnect to the nodes to retrieve the results.
>
> The use case is Shiny apps, where I want a thin frontend as a GUI, workflow launcher and result viewer, and launch background computation that isn't dependent on the Shiny script staying alive.
>
> Has this been done already, and/or are there simple modifications of parallel/snow/etc that allow this? My current WIP thing uses Rserve.
>
> (shiny-discuss cc'd).
>
> Michael Stravs
> Eawag
> Umweltchemie