Basic R Problem

Peter Arnold-2

> To: Anyone Who Can Help

I am new to R and am trying to install a couple of packages but receive
this warning/error message.  Please help by providing suggestions or
solutions to this problem

>> chooseCRANmirror()
>> utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
> Warning: unable to access index for repository
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/languages/R/CRAN/bin/windows/contrib/2.2
> Warning: unable to access index for repository
> http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.2
> Error in install.packages(NULL, .libPaths()[1], dependencies = TRUE,
> type = type) :
>         no packages were specified

Best regards,

Peter Arnold, CFA
President
PRA Investment Counsel, Inc.
704-341-8193
www.prainvestment.com

Re: Basic R Problem

Pfaff, Bernhard Dr.
Hello Peter,

in case your OS is windows and you connect to the Internet via a
Proxy-Server, you can/should set --internet2 in properties of the R icon on
your desktop. See the FAQ for more on this topic.

Bernhard

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
I am new to R and am trying to install a couple of packages but receive
this warning/error message.  Please help by providing suggestions or
solutions to this problem

>> chooseCRANmirror()
>> utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
> Warning: unable to access index for repository
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/languages/R/CRAN/bin/windows/contrib/2.2
> Warning: unable to access index for repository
> http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.2
> Error in install.packages(NULL, .libPaths()[1], dependencies = TRUE,
> type = type) :
>         no packages were specified

Best regards,

Peter Arnold, CFA
President
PRA Investment Counsel, Inc.
704-341-8193
www.prainvestment.com

Re: Basic R Problem

Prof Brian Ripley
You need to select a repository that is not broken, as that one appears to
be (and has been reported before to be).

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006, Peter Arnold wrote:

>> To: Anyone Who Can Help
>
> I am new to R and am trying to install a couple of packages but receive
> this warning/error message.  Please help by providing suggestions or
> solutions to this problem
>

>>> chooseCRANmirror()
>>> utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
>> Warning: unable to access index for repository
>> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/languages/R/CRAN/bin/windows/contrib/2.2
>> Warning: unable to access index for repository
>> http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.2
>> Error in install.packages(NULL, .libPaths()[1], dependencies = TRUE,
>> type = type) :
>>         no packages were specified
>

> Best regards,
>

> Peter Arnold, CFA
> President
> PRA Investment Counsel, Inc.
> 704-341-8193
> www.prainvestment.com

Re: Basic R Problem

Hans-Peter Suter
2006/2/17, Peter Arnold <[hidden email]>:

> > To: Anyone Who Can Help
>
> >> chooseCRANmirror()
> >> utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
> > Warning: unable to access index for repository
> > http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/languages/R/CRAN/bin/windows/contrib/2.2
> > Warning: unable to access index for repository
> > http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.2
> > Error in install.packages(NULL, .libPaths()[1], dependencies = TRUE,
> > type = type) :
> >         no packages were specified

I cannot help you, but maybe I can help you to help yourself:

1) go to the archiv: http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/about.html
2) I tried with the search term: "Warning: unable to access index for
repository"
3) in the result page I took the first entry:
(http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/help/05/10/13619.html)
4) which gave me the answer:
>I expect you need to set a proxy. This is covered in the rw-FAQ that
we do ask you to >read before posting. See the item

>         The internet download functions fail.

5) The rw-FAQ is the Windows FAQ. As I didn't remember where it is, I
just looked at the posting guide
http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html which gave me:

6) http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html or more exactly:
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#The-internet-download-functions-fail_002e

I don't know if this helps, but I think these are the steps that you
should/could do for yourself before asking on the maillist. Of course
it's not always as simple to get the right answers out of the archiv.

Hans-Peter