Bloomberg Data Import to R

Sumanta Basak

Hi R-Experts,

Can anyone tell me how Bloomberg data can be directly downloaded to R?
Is there any package?

Sumanta Basak.

Re: Bloomberg Data Import to R

Pfaff, Bernhard Dr.
Hello Sumanto,

your question might be more appropriately been posted to the R-sig-finance
list:

[hidden email] (I have cc'ed this mail to this list).

To my knowledge neither a function nor a CRAN-package does exist. However,
on the last useR! conference Dirk Edelbuettel presented a proprietary
package that utilised the C API of Bloomberg (type WAPI <GO> on a Bloomberg
terminal). I am not sure whether Dirk is nowadays inclined or allowed by his
employee to share this package.

As an alternative, you could download data from Bloomberg into Excel, first
(assuming that you are working in a Windows environment) and then load it
into R via RODBC, for example.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Hi R-Experts,

Can anyone tell me how Bloomberg data can be directly downloaded to R?
Is there any package?

Sumanta Basak.

Re: Bloomberg Data Import to R

Vivek Satsangi
Hi Sumanta,

1. This messages is much more appropriate for the sig-finance DL
instead. Consider signing up (I read up on Amba, so I am sure you have
good contributions to make in that forum).

2. To my knowledge, there isn't a direct package. However, if you use
Bloomberg's excel plugin, just get the data into excel, save and then
bring it in "as usual". I suspect that that's what you are doing
already.

3. You may have better luck with the S-Plus plugins. I am just getting
started (an don't have any support/maintenace contract), so I don't
know what all Insightful has up its sleeve, but I talked to Carol
Wedekind about this just thing yesterday. Dr. Yollin, who also listens
in on the sig-finance list, may be able to advise you better about
what exists.

With warm regards,

Vivek

>Message: 70
>Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 15:51:13 +0530
>From: "Sumanta Basak" <[hidden email]>
>Subject: [R] Bloomberg Data Import to R
>To: <[hidden email]>

>Hi R-Experts,

>Can anyone tell me how Bloomberg data can be directly downloaded to R?
>Is there any package?

>Sumanta Basak.

Re: Bloomberg Data Import to R

Neuro LeSuperHéros
Check this out:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-finance/2004q3/000051.html

You should consider adapting it with rcom instead of RDCOMClient

Neuro