Bookmarking a page inside r-project.org

Thomas L Jones
By way of review, most large Web sites allow the user to create
*bookmarks* which link to pages inside the Web site. However, here,
the pages have one of just two URL's:

http://www.r-project.org and

http://cran.r-project.org

The reason is the way HTML *frames* are used in setup of the Web site.
It would be very helpful if the Web site were revised so that many if
not most pages had their own URL's, allowing the use of bookmarks.

Tom
Thomas L. Jones, Ph.D., Computer Science

Re: Bookmarking a page inside r-project.org

Peter Dalgaard
"Thomas L Jones" <[hidden email]> writes:

> By way of review, most large Web sites allow the user to create
> *bookmarks* which link to pages inside the Web site. However, here,
> the pages have one of just two URL's:
>
> http://www.r-project.org and
>
> http://cran.r-project.org
>
> The reason is the way HTML *frames* are used in setup of the Web site.
> It would be very helpful if the Web site were revised so that many if
> not most pages had their own URL's, allowing the use of bookmarks.

I suspect that the webmasters (and -mistresses?) in Vienna are not
thrilled by the thought of a complete website redesign...

At least in Firefox, one thing you can do is to bring up the relevant
link in a new window or tab (just right-click it) and bookmark that.

--
   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Øster Farimagsgade 5, Entr.B
 (*) \(*) -- University of Copenhagen   Denmark          Ph:  (+45) 35327918

Re: Bookmarking a page inside r-project.org

hadley wickham
> > The reason is the way HTML *frames* are used in setup of the Web site.
> > It would be very helpful if the Web site were revised so that many if
> > not most pages had their own URL's, allowing the use of bookmarks.
>
> I suspect that the webmasters (and -mistresses?) in Vienna are not
> thrilled by the thought of a complete website redesign...

Another problem with frames is that if you come in from a search
engine, you lose the navigation (and context) making it impossible to
move around the site.  For example, google for R foundation and click
on the second hit.

Although not a completely trivial process, converting the R website to
not use frames would not be a hideously difficult undertaking.  The
html files already have nice (ie. google friendly) names and it would
be largely a task of adding a common navigation bar to each page.
This could be done nicely with some kind of server side include (eg.
SSI, php) and some css.  This, however, would have repercussions for
the server software necessary to mirror the R website (although
generally it would be a matter of flipping a few switches in apache or
whatever software was been used)

Hadley

On 1/2/2006 5:33 PM, Thomas L Jones wrote:

> By way of review, most large Web sites allow the user to create
> *bookmarks* which link to pages inside the Web site. However, here,
> the pages have one of just two URL's:
>
> http://www.r-project.org and
>
> http://cran.r-project.org
>
> The reason is the way HTML *frames* are used in setup of the Web site.
> It would be very helpful if the Web site were revised so that many if
> not most pages had their own URL's, allowing the use of bookmarks.

Unfortunately, the constraints mean that frames are hard to avoid:

- The pages need to be displayable on multiple mirrors and offline from
a local copy; you can't count on server-side includes.

- Many of the pages are manually edited.

- We want some common border material.

A solution would be a content-management system that produced the HTML
of the site from some other form of input.  Only the output HTML would
need to be mirrored.  Care to put together such a thing, and import all
the existing pages into it?

On 1/2/2006 6:14 PM, hadley wickham wrote:

>>>The reason is the way HTML *frames* are used in setup of the Web site.
>>>It would be very helpful if the Web site were revised so that many if
>>>not most pages had their own URL's, allowing the use of bookmarks.
>>
>>I suspect that the webmasters (and -mistresses?) in Vienna are not
>>thrilled by the thought of a complete website redesign...
>>

> Another problem with frames is that if you come in from a search
> engine, you lose the navigation (and context) making it impossible to
> move around the site.  For example, google for R foundation and click
> on the second hit.
>
> Although not a completely trivial process, converting the R website to
> not use frames would not be a hideously difficult undertaking.  The
> html files already have nice (ie. google friendly) names and it would
> be largely a task of adding a common navigation bar to each page.
> This could be done nicely with some kind of server side include (eg.
> SSI, php) and some css.  This, however, would have repercussions for
> the server software necessary to mirror the R website (although
> generally it would be a matter of flipping a few switches in apache or
> whatever software was been used)

You can check out from
https://svn.r-project.org/R-project-web/branches/DJM/ a version I
started to put together using this approach.  It isn't hard to edit, but
it did place unacceptable requirements on the server.

Re: Bookmarking a page inside r-project.org

hadley wickham
> A solution would be a content-management system that produced the HTML
> of the site from some other form of input.  Only the output HTML would
> need to be mirrored.  Care to put together such a thing, and import all
> the existing pages into it?

One way to get around the offline problem is to have a dynamic copy
somewhere and then spider and save it (eg. with wget -r).  This would
(obviously) require a server somewhere - but with a post-commit svn
hook could be kept up to date easily.  However, it is still difficult
to view changes to the page immediately.

What assumptions can I make about what tools are available to the
editors?  Can I assume the standard unix tool chain?   What
assumptions can I make about the people doing the editing?  How many
people edit the pages?  How familiar with html are they?  You say many
of the pages are manually edited, which ones aren't?  How are they
generated?  Are all the pages under
https://svn.r-project.org/R-project-web/trunk/ ?

Hadley

Re: Bookmarking a page inside r-project.org

Friedrich.Leisch

  >> A solution would be a content-management system that produced the HTML
  >> of the site from some other form of input.  Only the output HTML would
  >> need to be mirrored.  Care to put together such a thing, and import all
  >> the existing pages into it?

  > One way to get around the offline problem is to have a dynamic copy
  > somewhere and then spider and save it (eg. with wget -r).  This would
  > (obviously) require a server somewhere - but with a post-commit svn
  > hook could be kept up to date easily.  However, it is still difficult
  > to view changes to the page immediately.

  > What assumptions can I make about what tools are available to the
  > editors?  Can I assume the standard unix tool chain?

Yes.

  > What
  > assumptions can I make about the people doing the editing?  How many
  > people edit the pages?

For www.R-project.org all of R core have write access, but only a few
actually do it ;-)

  > How familiar with html are they?

Hard to tell, let's assume at least basic familiarity with HTML (but
very good familiarity to the concept of markup laguages per se).

Under www.r-project.org I think all are manual.

  > How are they
  > generated?

on CRAN all package listings are of course auto-generated (mostly
using perl scripts), the mirror list is created using R.

  > Are all the pages under
  > https://svn.r-project.org/R-project-web/trunk/ ?

No, CRAN is not, as it is pulled together from various sites where
maintainers of binary distributions etc. create their parts -> the
CRAN master itself is "mirror" for the pits and pieces (e.g., windows
R base binaries are mirrored from Duncan Murdoch, windows packages
from Uwe Ligges, etc. etc.).

Re: bookmarking a page inside r-project.org

bogdan romocea
In fact it's just as easy in Internet Explorer: right-click + Open in
New Window, or Shift-Click, followed by Ctrl+D. Or, right-click + Add
to Favorites.