Building R from source with the PGI compiler

Building R from source with the PGI compiler

Erin Hodgess-2
Hello

I would like to build R from source and use the PGI compiler, rather than
the GCC compiler.

I saw the instructions for the Intel compiler in the R Installation Manual,
but I didn't see the PGI.  I tried a few times without instructions, but
without success.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.  Also, I hope this is the right
group for the question.

Sincerely,
Erin

--
Erin Hodgess
Associate Professor

Re: Building R from source with the PGI compiler

Prof Brian Ripley
On 21/12/2017 01:03, Erin Hodgess wrote:
> Hello
>
> I would like to build R from source and use the PGI compiler, rather than
> the GCC compiler.

On what platform?  AFAIK we have only ever had reports on Linux.

> I saw the instructions for the Intel compiler in the R Installation Manual,
> but I didn't see the PGI.  I tried a few times without instructions, but
> without success.
>
> Any suggestions would be most welcome.  Also, I hope this is the right
> group for the question.

It is.  Earlier versions of the  manual did contain info on using the
PG(I) Linux compilers but as we had no reports for a long time, the
probably-stale info was removed.  It looks like the info was added in
late 2005, so you could try grabbing R sources from, say, 2007.

> Sincerely,
> Erin

Re: Building R from source with the PGI compiler

Michael Hannon-2
Hi, Erin.  Please feel free to ignore this, but I'm curious: what is
the advantage to using the PGI compiler?

-- Mike

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 5:03 PM, Erin Hodgess <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I would like to build R from source and use the PGI compiler, rather than
> the GCC compiler.
>
> I saw the instructions for the Intel compiler in the R Installation Manual,
> but I didn't see the PGI.  I tried a few times without instructions, but
> without success.
>
> Any suggestions would be most welcome.  Also, I hope this is the right
> group for the question.
>
> Sincerely,
> Erin
>

> --
> Erin Hodgess
> Associate Professor
> Department of Mathematical and Statistics
> University of Houston - Downtown
> mailto: [hidden email]

Re: Building R from source with the PGI compiler

Erin Hodgess-2
Hello!

I’m working on a supercomputer and will be tying into some FORTRAN
programs.  Those programs use OpenACC, which must be compiled with PGI.

In case you are wondering, Why don’t I use C?  I actually started with C
and FORTRAN is faster.

Thanks for listening,
Erin