CRAN: Update protocol buffers on macOS? (for RProtoBuf)

CRAN: Update protocol buffers on macOS? (for RProtoBuf)

Jonathon Love
Hi,

I notice that the CRAN binary for the macOS version of RProtoBuf is
built against quite an old version of protocol buffers (from 2014,
before v3 format support was added).

the windows version is (blessedly) kept up-to-date, but I'd like to
float the suggestion that the macOS version get an update too.

with thanks

jonathon

Re: CRAN: Update protocol buffers on macOS? (for RProtoBuf)

Prof Brian Ripley
On 06/07/2018 04:32, Jonathon Love wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I notice that the CRAN binary for the macOS version of RProtoBuf is
> built against quite an old version of protocol buffers (from 2014,
> before v3 format support was added).
>
> the windows version is (blessedly) kept up-to-date, but I'd like to
> float the suggestion that the macOS version get an update too.

If you mean the CRAN macOS binary package for RProtoBuf, why did you
post here?  R-sig-Mac would have been more appropriate, but the CRAN
policies tell you how to report issues/wishes for binary packages.  Only
one person can help you with that, and it is most effective to contact
him directly.

RProtoBuf does not compile on macOS against the current/latest version
3.6.0 of protobuf (sic), and I have reported to the maintainer.  It did
compile against 3.5.1, and you could compile from sources yourself.