CRAN checks give errors when no tests are included

CRAN checks give errors when no tests are included

Joris FA Meys
Dear all,

as a follow-up to the question asked on R-package-devel (see link below):

Someone sent a package to CRAN with a few problems. There's more things
wrong with the submission, but one thing that really caught my eye was the
following error:

Warning message:
running command '"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-33~1.2/bin/x64/R" CMD BATCH --vanilla
"testthat.R" "testthat.Rout"' had status 1  ERROR Running the tests in
'tests/testthat.R' failed.
Last 13 lines of output:

  Type 'q()' to quit R.

  > library(testthat)
  Warning message:
  package 'testthat' was built under R version 3.3.3
  > library(bwt)
  >
  > test_check("bwt")
  Error: No tests found for bwt
  Execution halted
* DONE

I checked the package and it had no tests subfolder. Yet -as far as I can
judge- CRAN tried to run tests anyway and error'd when there were none to
be found. This would make sense of adding tests was obligatory, but I can't
find that back in the CRAN policies. Is this a hiccup at CRAN's side or am
I missing something obvious?

Cheers
Joris

link to the original mail on r-package-devel :
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-package-devel/2018q2/002782.html

--
Joris Meys
Statistical consultant

Department of Data Analysis and Mathematical Modelling
Ghent University
Coupure Links 653, B-9000 Gent (Belgium)
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Coupure+links+653,%C2%A0B-9000+Gent,%C2%A0Belgium&entry=gmail&source=g>

Biowiskundedagen 2017-2018
http://www.biowiskundedagen.ugent.be/

Re: CRAN checks give errors when no tests are included

Joris FA Meys
Never mind my previous mail. It was his local check, not CRAN. My apologies
for not paying enough attention.
Cheers
Joris