Can I ask for the C code inside an R function using .C?

Can I ask for the C code inside an R function using .C?

Yingfu Xie
Hello, all,

It is a general question, but I couldn't find the answer elsewhere.
I am using an R function using .C but don't understand one of its
behaviors without the C code. I am wondering the so-called 'open
source'. It doesn't include the C code together with the R function,
does it? So what I want to ask is whether it is justified, possible or
polite to ask for the C code behind the R function.
Sorry if I miss anything! Thank you as always!

Regards,
Yingfu

Re: Can I ask for the C code inside an R function using .C?

Liaw, Andy
Source code for R and all CRAN packages are on CRAN.  If you want the C or
Fortran code used in R or add-on packages, you need to download the source
(the .tar.gz files).  You won't see the code if you just install the binary.

Andy

From: Yingfu Xie

> Hello, all,
>
> It is a general question, but I couldn't find the answer elsewhere.
> I am using an R function using .C but don't understand one of its
> behaviors without the C code. I am wondering the so-called 'open
> source'. It doesn't include the C code together with the R function,
> does it? So what I want to ask is whether it is justified, possible or
> polite to ask for the C code behind the R function.
> Sorry if I miss anything! Thank you as always!
>
> Regards,
> Yingfu

Re: Can I ask for the C code inside an R function using .C?

Ingmar Visser
You can download the source from any package from a CRAN mirror near you and
the src directory will contain the source code of the included C and fortran
functions.
hth, ingmar

> From: "Yingfu Xie" <[hidden email]>
> Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:04:43 +0100
> To: <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [R] Can I ask for the C code inside an R function using .C?
>
> Hello, all,
>
> It is a general question, but I couldn't find the answer elsewhere.
> I am using an R function using .C but don't understand one of its
> behaviors without the C code. I am wondering the so-called 'open
> source'. It doesn't include the C code together with the R function,
> does it? So what I want to ask is whether it is justified, possible or
> polite to ask for the C code behind the R function.
> Sorry if I miss anything! Thank you as always!
>
> Regards,
> Yingfu

Re: Can I ask for the C code inside an R function using .C?

Francisco J. Zagmutt
If you have a slow connection and/or you don't want to download the entire
source code you can find the sources for R on this site
https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/

Francisco

>From: "Liaw, Andy" <[hidden email]>
>To: "'Yingfu Xie'" <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: [R] Can I ask for the C code inside an R function using .C?
>Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:13:51 -0500
>
>Source code for R and all CRAN packages are on CRAN.  If you want the C or
>Fortran code used in R or add-on packages, you need to download the source
>(the .tar.gz files).  You won't see the code if you just install the
>binary.
>
>Andy
>
>From: Yingfu Xie
> >
> > Hello, all,
> >
> > It is a general question, but I couldn't find the answer elsewhere.
> > I am using an R function using .C but don't understand one of its
> > behaviors without the C code. I am wondering the so-called 'open
> > source'. It doesn't include the C code together with the R function,
> > does it? So what I want to ask is whether it is justified, possible or
> > polite to ask for the C code behind the R function.
> > Sorry if I miss anything! Thank you as always!
> >
> > Regards,
> > Yingfu

Re: Can I ask for the C code inside an R function using .C?

Liaw, Andy
Just wondering:  How do people with slow connections get R?  The Windows
binary is about 25MB, while the source .tar.gz is only 13.7MB.

Andy

From: Francisco J. Zagmutt

> If you have a slow connection and/or you don't want to
> download the entire
> source code you can find the sources for R on this site
> https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/
>
> Francisco
>

> >From: "Liaw, Andy" <[hidden email]>
> >To: "'Yingfu Xie'" <[hidden email]>,
> [hidden email]
> >Subject: Re: [R] Can I ask for the C code inside an R
> function using .C?
> >Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:13:51 -0500
> >
> >Source code for R and all CRAN packages are on CRAN.  If you
> want the C or
> >Fortran code used in R or add-on packages, you need to
> download the source
> >(the .tar.gz files).  You won't see the code if you just install the
> >binary.
> >
> >Andy
> >
> >From: Yingfu Xie
> > >
> > > Hello, all,
> > >
> > > It is a general question, but I couldn't find the answer
> elsewhere.
> > > I am using an R function using .C but don't understand one of its
> > > behaviors without the C code. I am wondering the so-called 'open
> > > source'. It doesn't include the C code together with the
> R function,
> > > does it? So what I want to ask is whether it is
> justified, possible or
> > > polite to ask for the C code behind the R function.
> > > Sorry if I miss anything! Thank you as always!
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Yingfu

Re: Can I ask for the C code inside an R function using .C?

Francisco J. Zagmutt
Well, if you have a slow modem connection and you are an average user that
doesn't want (or doesn't know how) to compile the source code, you may spend
half an hour or more downloading the windows binary. Then you realize you
want to see a .C function and you will have to spend another 15 to 20
minutes downloading the source tar.gz...OR you can lookup the specific
function in the mentioned website in a fraction of the time.  Off course,
overall if you check C or Fortran functions all the time you may want to
have a local copy of the source.  I think is great that users have that
flexibility, hence they should be aware of both options.

Cheers

Francisco

,
you may prefer just to visit a web site and see the specific function that
you want to learn about, rather than waiting another 15 to 20 minutes to
download the source tar.gz.

>From: "Liaw, Andy" <[hidden email]>
>To: "'Francisco J. Zagmutt'"
><[hidden email]>,[hidden email],[hidden email]
>Subject: RE: [R] Can I ask for the C code inside an R function using .C?
>Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:26:02 -0500
>
>Just wondering:  How do people with slow connections get R?  The Windows
>binary is about 25MB, while the source .tar.gz is only 13.7MB.
>
>Andy
>
>From: Francisco J. Zagmutt
> >

> > If you have a slow connection and/or you don't want to
> > download the entire
> > source code you can find the sources for R on this site
> > https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/
> >
> > Francisco
> >

> > >From: "Liaw, Andy" <[hidden email]>
> > >To: "'Yingfu Xie'" <[hidden email]>,
> > [hidden email]
> > >Subject: Re: [R] Can I ask for the C code inside an R
> > function using .C?
> > >Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:13:51 -0500
> > >
> > >Source code for R and all CRAN packages are on CRAN.  If you
> > want the C or
> > >Fortran code used in R or add-on packages, you need to
> > download the source
> > >(the .tar.gz files).  You won't see the code if you just install the
> > >binary.
> > >
> > >Andy
> > >
> > >From: Yingfu Xie

> > elsewhere.
> > R function,
> > justified, possible or

Re: Can I ask for the C code inside an R function using .C? (Thanks)

Yingfu Xie
Thanks all! Francisco provided the best solution for me, i.e.,
https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/ , where I can find what I want.

Regards,
Yingfu