Can I safely use an installed R folder in a portable manner?

Can I safely use an installed R folder in a portable manner?

R help mailing list-2
Hi there,

I'm currently using R on Windows as part of a piece of software and when
I'm providing it to users I have an application that runs the R
installation file with an INF file containing the following settings as to
not disrupt existing installs of R on their system.

[Setup]
Lang=en
Dir=.\R_Install\
Group=R
NoIcons=1
SetupType=user32
Components=main,i386
Tasks=
[R]
MDISDI=MDI
HelpStyle=HTML

The aim using this INF file is that the install should not touch the
registry, or add any icons/shortcuts anywhere.

This R install does not need to do much aside from provide the R
executables (particularly rscript.exe) for use, so I don't need it to be on
the PATH, for it to handle R files being double clicked by the user, etc.

However, I've recently found that taking the installed R folder and using
it on another PC without running the installer *seems* to work just fine
(at least for my use case of simply accessible the executables). This would
make "installing"/"uninstalling" easier as it would simply be a case of
copying the folder, and later on deleting it.

I was wondering if there is anything I'm missing here that would make this
not feasible.

Can I safely use an installed R folder, as a base for copying it to other
PCs in a portable manner?

Thanks,
Marc

Re: Can I safely use an installed R folder in a portable manner?

Jim Lemon-4
Hi Marc,
I do this quite often with Tcl-Tk. All you have to do is make sure
that the PATH contains the correct location for the R executable if
you don't specify it within your program.

Jim
On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 1:58 AM Marc Capavanni via R-help
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm currently using R on Windows as part of a piece of software and when
> I'm providing it to users I have an application that runs the R
> installation file with an INF file containing the following settings as to
> not disrupt existing installs of R on their system.
>
> [Setup]
> Lang=en
> Dir=.\R_Install\
> Group=R
> NoIcons=1
> SetupType=user32
> Components=main,i386
> Tasks=
> [R]
> MDISDI=MDI
> HelpStyle=HTML
>
> The aim using this INF file is that the install should not touch the
> registry, or add any icons/shortcuts anywhere.
>
> This R install does not need to do much aside from provide the R
> executables (particularly rscript.exe) for use, so I don't need it to be on
> the PATH, for it to handle R files being double clicked by the user, etc.
>
> However, I've recently found that taking the installed R folder and using
> it on another PC without running the installer *seems* to work just fine
> (at least for my use case of simply accessible the executables). This would
> make "installing"/"uninstalling" easier as it would simply be a case of
> copying the folder, and later on deleting it.
>
> I was wondering if there is anything I'm missing here that would make this
> not feasible.
>
> Can I safely use an installed R folder, as a base for copying it to other
> PCs in a portable manner?
>
> Thanks,
> Marc

Re: Can I safely use an installed R folder in a portable manner?

Jeff Newmiller
If you don't want to disturb the existing install of R then you might want to take some effort to bring your library with you and avoid letting your copy of R mess with the default user library. Packrat may help with this?