Can one perform a dry run of a package installation?

Can one perform a dry run of a package installation?

Sebastien Bihorel
Hi,

Is there a way to do a dry run of install.packages() or update.packages() to simulate how an R environment would be modified by the installation or update of a particular set of packages (with their dependencies)?

I am particularly interested in finding how dependencies would be recursively updated to newer versions.

Thanks

Re: Can one perform a dry run of a package installation?

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 09/04/2019 5:46 p.m., Sebastien Bihorel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to do a dry run of install.packages() or update.packages() to simulate how an R environment would be modified by the installation or update of a particular set of packages (with their dependencies)?
>
> I am particularly interested in finding how dependencies would be recursively updated to newer versions.

Set the `lib` parameter of `install.packages` to an empty directory, and
see what gets installed there.