Quantcast

Cannot update 2.8.1 packages: unable to access index for repository...

Cannot update 2.8.1 packages: unable to access index for repository...

jmarcus
I am having trouble updating packages for R 2.8.1 in Windows XP. Note that I *am* able to update packages for R 2.7.0  (see bottom of posting) so this is not an Internet proxy problem. The steps I took were to

(a) Copy over packages from my existing (2.7.0) library subdiretory to the R 2.8.1 library subdirectory. This included  a long list of packages including RODBC, rpart,  RGraphViz, ggplot2 and their dependents.
(b) From within Rgui, run  update.packages(ask='graphics')

I tried this several times with different repositories and mirrors and each time got messages like:

Warning: unable to access index for repository http://streaming.stat.iastate.edu/CRAN/bin/windows/contrib/2.8
Warning: unable to access index for repository http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.
Warning: unable to access index for repository http://www.omegahat.org/R/bin/windows/contrib/2.8
Warning: unable to access index for repository http://cran.fhcrc.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.8

Finally, I noticed that a recent R-help thread http://www.nabble.com/Installing-the-Rstem-package-td22357873.html#a22362058

Includes the following comment (excerpted) from Professor Brian Ripley

     a) There seem to be no Windows binaries on Omegahat for R > 2.7.

     b) A few are available from CRAN extras (one of the default
         repositories on Window), and I've added Rstem.  So please try again
         now.

Does this mean that I should update 2.8.0 libraries from zip files manually? Or is there a more convenient workaround for updating?

By the way, here is what I see with R 2.7.0

> update.packages(ask='graphics')
trying URL 'http://streaming.stat.iastate.edu/CRAN/bin/windows/contrib/2.7/RODBC_1.2-4.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 195082 bytes (190 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 190 Kb

package 'RODBC' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
Warning: cannot remove prior installation of package 'RODBC'

The downloaded packages are in
        C:\Documents and Settings\jmarcus\Local Settings\Temp\Rtmp5QBblK\downloaded_packages
updating HTML package descriptions

Thanks for any help
JEFF MARCUS
Manager, Applied Data Analysis

NUANCE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.
One Wayside Road
Burlington  MA  01803

781 565 5000   Office
781-565 5001   Fax
NUANCE.COM

The experience speaks for itself (tm)

Re: Cannot update 2.8.1 packages: unable to access index for repository...

Uwe Ligges-3

Marcus, Jeffrey wrote:

> I am having trouble updating packages for R 2.8.1 in Windows XP. Note that I *am* able to update packages for R 2.7.0  (see bottom of posting) so this is not an Internet proxy problem. The steps I took were to
>
> (a) Copy over packages from my existing (2.7.0) library subdiretory to the R 2.8.1 library subdirectory. This included  a long list of packages including RODBC, rpart,  RGraphViz, ggplot2 and their dependents.
> (b) From within Rgui, run  update.packages(ask='graphics')
>
> I tried this several times with different repositories and mirrors and each time got messages like:
>
> Warning: unable to access index for repository http://streaming.stat.iastate.edu/CRAN/bin/windows/contrib/2.8
> Warning: unable to access index for repository http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.
> Warning: unable to access index for repository http://www.omegahat.org/R/bin/windows/contrib/2.8
> Warning: unable to access index for repository http://cran.fhcrc.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.8

So it probably *is* a proxy problem (or you have no internet connection
at all) and you forgot that you changed something for R-2.7.x.....

Uwe Ligges

> Finally, I noticed that a recent R-help thread http://www.nabble.com/Installing-the-Rstem-package-td22357873.html#a22362058
>
> Includes the following comment (excerpted) from Professor Brian Ripley
>
>      a) There seem to be no Windows binaries on Omegahat for R > 2.7.
>
>      b) A few are available from CRAN extras (one of the default
>          repositories on Window), and I've added Rstem.  So please try again
>          now.
>
> Does this mean that I should update 2.8.0 libraries from zip files manually? Or is there a more convenient workaround for updating?
>
> By the way, here is what I see with R 2.7.0
>
>> update.packages(ask='graphics')
> trying URL 'http://streaming.stat.iastate.edu/CRAN/bin/windows/contrib/2.7/RODBC_1.2-4.zip'
> Content type 'application/zip' length 195082 bytes (190 Kb)
> opened URL
> downloaded 190 Kb
>
> package 'RODBC' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> Warning: cannot remove prior installation of package 'RODBC'
>
> The downloaded packages are in
>         C:\Documents and Settings\jmarcus\Local Settings\Temp\Rtmp5QBblK\downloaded_packages
> updating HTML package descriptions
>
> Thanks for any help
> JEFF MARCUS
> Manager, Applied Data Analysis
>
> NUANCE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.
> One Wayside Road
> Burlington  MA  01803
>
> 781 565 5000   Office
> 781-565 5001   Fax
> NUANCE.COM
>
> The experience speaks for itself (tm)

Re: Cannot update 2.8.1 packages: unable to access index forrepository...

Charles Annis, P.E.
Are you using Microsoft OneCare?  I had a similar problem accessing CRAN
(actually setting a CRAN mirror) several weeks ago with R2.8.1 while R2.6.2
could access CRAN with no difficulties.  Even running R as Administrator
wouldn't work.

The problem proved to be that OneCare had asked for my permission to let
R2.8.1 access the internet, but I missed the request (the window was buried
elsewhere).  Several days later the request again surfaced, I OKed the
internet access and all the problems vanished.

Charles Annis, P.E.

[hidden email]
phone: 561-352-9699
eFax:  614-455-3265