Cell entries cutted? How to count the no. of characters in each cell?

Cell entries cutted? How to count the no. of characters in each cell?

Elementsucherin
Dear all,

I'm new to R thus would appreciate your experience.

Background info:
- Using ChannelAttribution package
- Data matrix includes one column with veeery long entries (text, up to 3.5mio characters)
- Since results are unexpected I wonder whether R cuts cell entries that are too long? (and if so, at what point)

Facts:
- When I ask for "data.frame" it says "Factor w/ 40600 levels "..."| __truncated__,..: 1 2 ..."
- When I ask for "data[1,1]", it says the following (not sure whether that is related to showing that cell entry or what the data really is like in the data matrix...
     Error in if (n <= 1L || lenl[n] <= width) n else max(1L, which.max(lenl >  :
     missing value where TRUE/FALSE needed
     In addition: Warning message:
     In print.factor(x) :
     integer overflow in 'cumsum'; use 'cumsum(as.numeric(.))'

Question:
- How to obtain a vector with the count of characters in each of the cells of that data column? (sth. like "Char_count <- chars(data[1:40000,1])" --> A comparison with the characters countes before importing them to R would tell me, whether R has cutted some cell info.

Thank you so much in advance!
Eli