Comparing figures?

Ramiro Barrantes-2
Hello,

I am working on tests to compare figures.  I have been using ImageMagick, which creates a figure signature, and I can compare a "test" figure signature against a saved "reference" figure signature.  It seems to work pretty well.  However, it is slow as it requires reading from the file system.

Are there any options to compare figures on memory?  For example, if I generate a ggplot or lattice graph, I could have all my saved "reference" figures on memory (which I would have loaded all at once) and compare them. I just haven't found anything.

I just found out about the vdiffr package and was going to explore it, not sure about the speed.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank you,
<https://west.exch023.serverdata.net/owa/?ae=Item&a=New&t=IPM.Note&cc=MTQuMy4zMTkuMixlbi1VUyw2LEhUTUwsMCww&pspid=_1525698150389_875737489#>
Ramiro

Ramiro Barrantes Ph.D.
Precision Bioassay, Inc.
431 Pine St., Suite 110
Burlington, VT 05401
802 865 0155
802 861 2365 FAX
www.precisionbioassay.com<https://west.exch023.serverdata.net/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=wN3KzpoKXAcetH7sTOTnSyfg-iAXFIinpPUtRcduCFCtkgZrUSDTCGgAdAB0AHAAOgAvAC8AdwB3AHcALgBwAHIAZQBjAGkAcwBpAG8AbgBiAGkAbwBhAHMAcwBhAHkALgBjAG8AbQA.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.precisionbioassay.com>
[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email, including any attach...{{dropped:9}}

Re: Comparing figures?

Suzen, Mehmet-3
I suggest perceptual diff. You could write a wrapper around it.

http://pdiff.sourceforge.net

On Mon, 7 May 2018 16:49 Ramiro Barrantes, <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am working on tests to compare figures.  I have been using ImageMagick,
> which creates a figure signature, and I can compare a "test" figure
> signature against a saved "reference" figure signature.  It seems to work
> pretty well.  However, it is slow as it requires reading from the file
> system.
>
> Are there any options to compare figures on memory?  For example, if I
> generate a ggplot or lattice graph, I could have all my saved "reference"
> figures on memory (which I would have loaded all at once) and compare them.
> I just haven't found anything.
>
> I just found out about the vdiffr package and was going to explore it, not
> sure about the speed.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> <
> https://west.exch023.serverdata.net/owa/?ae=Item&a=New&t=IPM.Note&cc=MTQuMy4zMTkuMixlbi1VUyw2LEhUTUwsMCww&pspid=_1525698150389_875737489#
> >
> Ramiro
>
> Ramiro Barrantes Ph.D.
> Precision Bioassay, Inc.
> 431 Pine St., Suite 110
> Burlington, VT 05401
> 802 865 0155
> 802 861 2365 FAX
> www.precisionbioassay.com<
> https://west.exch023.serverdata.net/owa/redir.aspx?SURL=wN3KzpoKXAcetH7sTOTnSyfg-iAXFIinpPUtRcduCFCtkgZrUSDTCGgAdAB0AHAAOgAvAC8AdwB3AHcALgBwAHIAZQBjAGkAcwBpAG8AbgBiAGkAbwBhAHMAcwBhAHkALgBjAG8AbQA.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.precisionbioassay.com
> >
> [hidden email]
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email, including any attach...{{dropped:9}}

Re: Comparing figures?

Martin Maechler

    > I suggest perceptual diff. You could write a wrapper
    > around it.  http://pdiff.sourceforge.net

In (base) R's own test ('make check-devel'), we basically use

   pdf(*, compress=FALSE)

actually also setting 'encoding=.' and 'paper=.', see the R sources at
   https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/tests/reg-plot.R

and the check (source at
    https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/tests/Makefile.common)

basically is using