Compile R to WebAssembly / Emscripten?

Todd Wilder
Has anyone attempted to compile R (probably without any OS bindings) to
WebAssembly / Emscripten? If so, how far did you get? (would be crazy
awesome if you could get all the way to a ggplot bitmap output). If not, is
this a waste of time or is there some daylight to doing this?

Re: Compile R to WebAssembly / Emscripten?

Gábor Csárdi
This was some time ago:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2013-May/066724.html

So probably not hopeless, but I would think it is a lot of work.

Gabor

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 8:17 AM Todd Wilder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone attempted to compile R (probably without any OS bindings) to
> WebAssembly / Emscripten? If so, how far did you get? (would be crazy
> awesome if you could get all the way to a ggplot bitmap output). If not, is
> this a waste of time or is there some daylight to doing this?

Re: Compile R to WebAssembly / Emscripten?

Gabriel Becker-2
As I recall, the major blocker is that R links against a number of other
things (notably BLAS, pcre, etc) so while technically possible (?) I
suppose, the universe of things you'd have to compile over and then get
working is much larger than just the R internals.

I think most people who consider this (including me years ago, as well as
the poster of Gabor's message to rdevel) hit that point and then go try to
find a less herculean task to pursue.

~G

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 12:57 AM Gábor Csárdi <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> This was some time ago:
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2013-May/066724.html
>
> So probably not hopeless, but I would think it is a lot of work.
>
> Gabor
>
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 8:17 AM Todd Wilder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone attempted to compile R (probably without any OS bindings) to
> > WebAssembly / Emscripten? If so, how far did you get? (would be crazy
> > awesome if you could get all the way to a ggplot bitmap output). If not,
> is
> > this a waste of time or is there some daylight to doing this?

Re: Compile R to WebAssembly / Emscripten?

Scott Chamberlain-2
Recently Michael Droettboom at Mozilla was asking around about
doing for R what they've done for Python here
https://github.com/iodide-project/pyodide
with the Iodide project