Creating a package bundle.

Steve Su
Dear All,

What is the easiest way to create a package bundle in R? I have three
packages I would like to group together in which one package will
depends on three others. It looks like from

http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/01a/0284.html, all that is
required is to put require in the .First? I wonder how one can create a
package so that when it is downloaded,

all the other packages are downloaded and installed as well? In my case,
the three sub packages are not written by me and are already in R so I
would like to keep the current

versions as part of the bundle rather than allow them to get updated so
there will not be compatibility problems?

I am aware there is a writing R extensions guide but it seems to be
geared towards a more advanced user rather than beginner like me?

Thanks in advance.

Steve.

Re: Creating a package bundle.

Uwe Ligges
Steve Su wrote:

> Dear All,
>

> What is the easiest way to create a package bundle in R? I have three
> packages I would like to group together in which one package will
> depends on three others. It looks like from
>
> http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/help/01a/0284.html, all that is
> required is to put require in the .First? I wonder how one can create a
> package so that when it is downloaded,
>
> all the other packages are downloaded and installed as well? In my case,
> the three sub packages are not written by me and are already in R so I
> would like to keep the current

Perhaps you simply want to use

   install.packages("the_package", dependencies = TRUE)

rather than building a package bundle of packages you are not
maintaining yourself.

Uwe Ligges

> versions as part of the bundle rather than allow them to get updated so
> there will not be compatibility problems?
>

> I am aware there is a writing R extensions guide but it seems to be
> geared towards a more advanced user rather than beginner like me?
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> Steve.

Re: Creating a package bundle.

Seth Falcon-2
Hi Steve,

Are you sure you want a bundle?  If you are writing your own package
Foo that depends on two pacakges already available via CRAN, then all
you need to do is list those two pacakges in the Depends field of your
package's DESCRIPTION file.

This will give you the automatic downloading of Foo's dependencies
when a user does: install.packages("foo", dependencies=TRUE)

As for the versions, you can specify required versions also in the
Depends field (see the writing R extensions guide).

+ seth