Quantcast

Crete stats course

Threaded

Crete stats course

Alain Zuur
There are a few remaining seats on the following course:

Course: Data exploration, regression, GLM & GAM with R

Where:  HCMR, Crete, Greece

When:   24-28 April 2017

Course website: http://www.highstat.com/statscourse.htm

Course flyer: http://highstat.com/Courses/Flyers/Flyer2017_04Crete_RGG.pdf

Kind regards,

Alain Zuur

Other open courses in 2017:

Introduction to Regression Models with Spatial and Temporal Correlation.
8-12 May 2017. Genoa, Italy.
Linear Mixed Effects Models and GLMM with R. Frequentist and Bayesian
approaches. 9-13 October 2017. Trondheim, Norway.
Introduction to Regression Models with Spatial and Temporal Correlation.
23-27 October 2017. Southampton, UK
Data exploration, regression, GLM & GAM with introduction to R. 18-22
September 2017. Edmonton, Canada.
Introduction to Regression Models with Spatial and Temporal Correlation.
4-8 December 2017. Banff, Canada.

--
Dr. Alain F. Zuur

First author of:
1. Beginner's Guide to GAMM with R (2014).
2. Beginner's Guide to GLM and GLMM with R (2013).
3. Beginner's Guide to GAM with R (2012).
4. Zero Inflated Models and GLMM with R (2012).
5. A Beginner's Guide to R (2009).
6. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R (2009).
7. Analysing Ecological Data (2007).

Highland Statistics Ltd.
9 St Clair Wynd
UK - AB41 6DZ Newburgh
Tel:   0044 1358 788177
Email: [hidden email]

Dr. Alain F. Zuur
First author of:

1. Analysing Ecological Data (2007).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN and Smith, GM. Springer. 680 p.

2. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. (2009).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN, Walker, N, Saveliev, AA, and Smith, GM. Springer.
http://www.springer.com/life+sci/ecology/book/978-0-387-87457-9

3. A Beginner's Guide to R (2009).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN, Meesters, EHWG. Springer
http://www.springer.com/statistics/computational/book/978-0-387-93836-3

Other books: http://www.highstat.com/books.htm

Statistical consultancy, courses, data analysis and software
Highland Statistics Ltd.
6 Laverock road
UK - AB41 6FN Newburgh
Tel: 0044 1358 788177
Email: highstat@highstat.com

Threaded

Re: Crete stats course

Bert Gunter-2
Perhaps this has been asked and settled before, but while such courses
certainly might be of interest to those who read this list, they are
for profit, and therefore advertising them here does seem somewhat
inappropriate.

Please, I don't want to start a long discussion or war. Just slap me
down if I am wrong about this.

Cheers,
Bert

and sticking things into it."

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 2:14 AM, Highland Statistics Ltd
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are a few remaining seats on the following course:
>

> Course: Data exploration, regression, GLM & GAM with R
>
> Where:  HCMR, Crete, Greece
>
> When:   24-28 April 2017
>
> Course website: http://www.highstat.com/statscourse.htm
>
> Course flyer: http://highstat.com/Courses/Flyers/Flyer2017_04Crete_RGG.pdf
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Alain Zuur
>

> Other open courses in 2017:
>
> Introduction to Regression Models with Spatial and Temporal Correlation.
> 8-12 May 2017. Genoa, Italy.
> Linear Mixed Effects Models and GLMM with R. Frequentist and Bayesian
> approaches. 9-13 October 2017. Trondheim, Norway.
> Introduction to Regression Models with Spatial and Temporal Correlation.
> 23-27 October 2017. Southampton, UK
> Data exploration, regression, GLM & GAM with introduction to R. 18-22
> September 2017. Edmonton, Canada.
> Introduction to Regression Models with Spatial and Temporal Correlation. 4-8
> December 2017. Banff, Canada.
>

> --
> Dr. Alain F. Zuur
>
> First author of:
> 1. Beginner's Guide to GAMM with R (2014).
> 2. Beginner's Guide to GLM and GLMM with R (2013).
> 3. Beginner's Guide to GAM with R (2012).
> 4. Zero Inflated Models and GLMM with R (2012).
> 5. A Beginner's Guide to R (2009).
> 6. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R (2009).
> 7. Analysing Ecological Data (2007).
>
> Highland Statistics Ltd.
> 9 St Clair Wynd
> UK - AB41 6DZ Newburgh
> Tel:   0044 1358 788177
> Email: [hidden email]

Threaded

Re: Crete stats course

R help mailing list-2
True, but if I may put in my two pennies worth, for novices like me it is useful to know about these things.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are a few remaining seats on the following course:
>

> Course: Data exploration, regression, GLM & GAM with R
>
> Where:  HCMR, Crete, Greece
>
> When:   24-28 April 2017
>
> Course website: http://www.highstat.com/statscourse.htm
>
> Course flyer: http://highstat.com/Courses/Flyers/Flyer2017_04Crete_RGG.pdf
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Alain Zuur
>

> Other open courses in 2017:
>
> Introduction to Regression Models with Spatial and Temporal Correlation.
> 8-12 May 2017. Genoa, Italy.
> Linear Mixed Effects Models and GLMM with R. Frequentist and Bayesian
> approaches. 9-13 October 2017. Trondheim, Norway.
> Introduction to Regression Models with Spatial and Temporal Correlation.
> 23-27 October 2017. Southampton, UK
> Data exploration, regression, GLM & GAM with introduction to R. 18-22
> September 2017. Edmonton, Canada.
> Introduction to Regression Models with Spatial and Temporal Correlation. 4-8
> December 2017. Banff, Canada.
>

> --
> Dr. Alain F. Zuur
>
> First author of:
> 1. Beginner's Guide to GAMM with R (2014).
> 2. Beginner's Guide to GLM and GLMM with R (2013).
> 3. Beginner's Guide to GAM with R (2012).
> 4. Zero Inflated Models and GLMM with R (2012).
> 5. A Beginner's Guide to R (2009).
> 6. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R (2009).
> 7. Analysing Ecological Data (2007).
>
> Highland Statistics Ltd.
> 9 St Clair Wynd
> UK - AB41 6DZ Newburgh
> Tel:   0044 1358 788177
> Email: [hidden email]

Threaded

Re: Crete stats course

Alain Zuur

On 15/03/2017 16:57, Bert Gunter wrote:
> Perhaps this has been asked and settled before, but while such courses
> certainly might be of interest to those who read this list,
Bert,
>   they are
> for profit, and therefore advertising them here does seem somewhat
> inappropriate.
I don't want to be rude or funny, but the general guidelines for this
mailing list state "Do your homework before posting". There is nowhere a
statement on the general guidelines that state that you cannot make an
announcement for a course (which by the way, introduces R to people who
never have used R before)....be it for profit or not. And even if it
would have such a statement, I don't think that a 'once per quarter'
email about an R course does much harm.

Apologies to everyone else for filling up your mailbox. Bert....if you
would like to discuss this further then please email me directly and I
will send a summary to the list later.

Kind regards,

Alain

> [...]

7. Analysing Ecological Data (2007).

Highland Statistics Ltd.
9 St Clair Wynd
UK - AB41 6DZ Newburgh
Tel:   0044 1358 788177
Email: [hidden email]

Dr. Alain F. Zuur
First author of:

1. Analysing Ecological Data (2007).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN and Smith, GM. Springer. 680 p.

2. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. (2009).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN, Walker, N, Saveliev, AA, and Smith, GM. Springer.
http://www.springer.com/life+sci/ecology/book/978-0-387-87457-9

3. A Beginner's Guide to R (2009).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN, Meesters, EHWG. Springer
http://www.springer.com/statistics/computational/book/978-0-387-93836-3

Other books: http://www.highstat.com/books.htm

Statistical consultancy, courses, data analysis and software

Michael Dewey-3
Well since you mention it the mailing list page says

The ‘main’ R mailing list, for discussion about problems and solutions
using R, announcements (not covered by ‘R-announce’ or ‘R-packages’, see
above), about the availability of new functionality for R and
documentation of R, comparison and compatibility with S-plus, and for
the posting of nice examples and benchmarks.

Which suggests to me that announcements of courses are not covered by
the terms and conditions.

On 15/03/2017 16:09, Highland Statistics Ltd wrote:

> [...]
>>> approaches. 9-13 October 2017. Trondheim, Norway.
>>> Introduction to Regression Models with Spatial and Temporal Correlation.
>>> 23-27 October 2017. Southampton, UK
>>> Data exploration, regression, GLM & GAM with introduction to R. 18-22
>>> September 2017. Edmonton, Canada.
>>> Introduction to Regression Models with Spatial and Temporal
>>> Correlation. 4-8
>>> December 2017. Banff, Canada.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Dr. Alain F. Zuur
>>>
>>> First author of:
>>> 1. Beginner's Guide to GAMM with R (2014).
>>> 2. Beginner's Guide to GLM and GLMM with R (2013).
>>> 3. Beginner's Guide to GAM with R (2012).
>>> 4. Zero Inflated Models and GLMM with R (2012).
>>> 5. A Beginner's Guide to R (2009).
>>> 6. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R (2009).

Michael
http://www.dewey.myzen.co.uk/home.html

Threaded

Re: Crete stats course

Alain Zuur

> Well since you mention it the mailing list page says
>
> The ‘main’ R mailing list, for discussion about problems and solutions
> using R, announcements (not covered by ‘R-announce’ or ‘R-packages’,
> see above), about the availability of new functionality for R and
> documentation of R, comparison and compatibility with S-plus, and for
> the posting of nice examples and benchmarks.
>
> Which suggests to me that announcements of courses are not covered by
> the terms and conditions.

I see a comma after the word 'announcement'.  So..please clarify how an
'announcement of courses' does not fall under 'announcement'.

The text describing the use of the mailing list wasn't written with "the
expression of one thing is the exclusion of the other " in mind. There
is a Latin expression for that.

For example, the word 'primarily" in the sentence  "The R mailing lists
are primarily intended for questions and discussion about the R
software."  doesn't mean that it cannot me used for a course
announcement. Would it have said "exclusively" then it is a different
story.

Expressio Unius Est Exclusio Alterius ......

Anyway.......let's not waste more time on this.

Alain

> On 15/03/2017 16:09, Highland Statistics Ltd wrote:
>>
>> On 15/03/2017 16:57, Bert Gunter wrote:
>>> Perhaps this has been asked and settled before, but while such courses
>>> certainly might be of interest to those who read this list,
>> Bert,
>>>   they are
>>> for profit, and therefore advertising them here does seem somewhat
>>> inappropriate.
>> I don't want to be rude or funny, but the general guidelines for this
>> mailing list state "Do your homework before posting". There is nowhere a
>> statement on the general guidelines that state that you cannot make an
>> announcement for a course (which by the way, introduces R to people who
>> never have used R before)....be it for profit or not. And even if it
>> would have such a statement, I don't think that a 'once per quarter'
>> email about an R course does much harm.
>>
>> Apologies to everyone else for filling up your mailbox. Bert....if you
>> would like to discuss this further then please email me directly and I
>> will send a summary to the list later.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Alain
>>
>>> Please, I don't want to start a long discussion or war. Just slap me
>>> down if I am wrong about this.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Bert
>>>

>>> Bert Gunter
>>>
>>> "The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along
>>> and sticking things into it."
>>> -- Opus (aka Berkeley Breathed in his "Bloom County" comic strip )

Dr. Alain F. Zuur

First author of:
1. Beginner's Guide to GAMM with R (2014).
2. Beginner's Guide to GLM and GLMM with R (2013).
3. Beginner's Guide to GAM with R (2012).
4. Zero Inflated Models and GLMM with R (2012).
5. A Beginner's Guide to R (2009).
6. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R (2009).
7. Analysing Ecological Data (2007).

Highland Statistics Ltd.
9 St Clair Wynd
UK - AB41 6DZ Newburgh
Tel:   0044 1358 788177
Email: [hidden email]

Dr. Alain F. Zuur
First author of:

1. Analysing Ecological Data (2007).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN and Smith, GM. Springer. 680 p.

2. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. (2009).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN, Walker, N, Saveliev, AA, and Smith, GM. Springer.
http://www.springer.com/life+sci/ecology/book/978-0-387-87457-9

3. A Beginner's Guide to R (2009).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN, Meesters, EHWG. Springer
http://www.springer.com/statistics/computational/book/978-0-387-93836-3

Other books: http://www.highstat.com/books.htm

Statistical consultancy, courses, data analysis and software
Highland Statistics Ltd.
6 Laverock road
UK - AB41 6FN Newburgh
Tel: 0044 1358 788177
Email: highstat@highstat.com

Threaded

Re: [FORGED] Re: Crete stats course

Rolf Turner
On 16/03/17 03:57, Bert Gunter wrote:
> Perhaps this has been asked and settled before, but while such courses
> certainly might be of interest to those who read this list, they are
> for profit, and therefore advertising them here does seem somewhat
> inappropriate.
>
> Please, I don't want to start a long discussion or war. Just slap me
> down if I am wrong about this.

I have a *vague* recollection that it *has* been asked before and that
there was a consensus, or a pronouncement from R core (or a combination
of the two; or something like that) that such announcements were OK as
long as they were reasonably brief and not overly frequent.  Or
something like that.

It seems to me that the Highland Statistics ads fall within these
vaguely remembered guidelines.

cheers,

Rolf

--
Technical Editor ANZJS
Department of Statistics

Threaded

Re: [FORGED] Re: Crete stats course

Helios de Rosario
The fact related to Rolf's vague recollection is here:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2015-March/426799.html

And the relevant post (Martin Maechler's answer):
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2015-March/426834.html

Should that be a FAQ?

Helios

> On 16/03/17 03:57, Bert Gunter wrote:
>> Perhaps this has been asked and settled before, but while such
courses
>> certainly might be of interest to those who read this list, they
are
>> for profit, and therefore advertising them here does seem somewhat
>> inappropriate.

[...]
>>> On 15/03/2017 20:13, Rolf Turner <[hidden email]>
answered:

> I have a *vague* recollection that it *has* been asked before and
that
> there was a consensus, or a pronouncement from R core (or a
combination
> of the two; or something like that) that such announcements were OK
as
> long as they were reasonably brief and not overly frequent.  Or
> something like that.

DESCARGATE el ANUARIO del IBV 2015 desde
http://www.ibv.org/anuario/Anuario2015/

INSTITUTO DE BIOMECÁNICA
Universitat Politècnica de València - Edificio 9C
Camino de Vera s/n - 46022 VALENCIA (ESPAÑA)
Tel. +34 961111170 +34 610567200 - Fax +34 96 387 91 69
www.ibv.org

Antes de imprimir este e-mail piense bien si es necesario hacerlo. En
cumplimiento de la Ley Orgánica 15/1999 reguladora de la Protección de
Datos de Carácter Personal, le informamos de que el presente mensaje
contiene información confidencial, siendo para uso exclusivo del
destinatario arriba indicado. En caso de no ser usted el destinatario
del mismo le informamos que su recepción no le autoriza a su divulgación
o reproducción por cualquier medio, debiendo destruirlo de inmediato,
rogándole lo notifique al remitente.