Quantcast

Curved arrows

Paul Chatfield-3
I'm trying to draw an arrow with a curved shaft on the graph as a straight one looks messy on a detailed graph.  I've looked in arrows but it doesn't seem to give an option.  larrows doesn't look much more promising.  I had a look in the archive and couldn't find anything.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

Paul

Re: Curved arrows

Gábor Csárdi-2
Paul,

there might be other solutions as well, but there is an internal
function in the igraph package that can draw curved arrows, it is
called igraph:::igraph.Arrows(). As it is an internal function, it is
not documented, but I think it is pretty straightforward to use. For
the 'curved' argument you can give a number, try values between 0 and
1, or (if I remember well)  -1 and 0 if you want it to curve towards
the opposite side.

Best,
Gabor

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Paul Chatfield
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to draw an arrow with a curved shaft on the graph as a straight
> one looks messy on a detailed graph.  I've looked in arrows but it doesn't
> seem to give an option.  larrows doesn't look much more promising.  I had a
> look in the archive and couldn't find anything.  Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

Gabor Csardi <[hidden email]>     UNIL DGM

Re: Curved arrows

Gábor Csárdi-2
On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 2:37 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey - I tried this without success.  The igraph doesn't work with R 2.9.0,

That is strange, why not?

> so I'm using it with the 2.8.0 version which is the previous one I had.  Can you write a simple code that would put an arrow with a curved shaft on, e.g
> plot(3,5)
> igraph.Arrows(3,4,4,5)

Exactly like this, but the function is not exported, and you need the
'curved' argument:

plot(3,5)
igraph:::igraph.Arrows(3,4,4,5)
igraph:::igraph.Arrows(3,4,4,5, curved=TRUE)
igraph:::igraph.Arrows(3,4,4,5, curved=-0.5)
igraph:::igraph.Arrows(3,4,4,5, curved=-1)
igraph:::igraph.Arrows(3,4,4,5, curved=1)

You need igraph version 0.5.2 for this I think. Type
head(igraph:::igraph.Arrows)
to see the other arguments to play with.

Gabor

--
Gabor Csardi <[hidden email]>     UNIL DGM

Re: Curved arrows

Greg Snow-2
?xspline for the shaft, do the head by hand (or using arrows with a very short shaft)

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center