Data File Size Problem

Sumanta Basak-2
Hi R-Experts,

I have a huge data file of size over 100MB, and this is in .dat format. Is
it possible to work with this in the current version of R in Windows-XP
machine? If not, please let me know the remedy of this. Can R handle large
dataset like this? I know SAS is compatiable for this. But i want to try it
in R.

--
SUMANTA BASAK.

Re: Data File Size Problem

Prof Brian Ripley
By at least some definitions, a `large file' is one over 2Gb, so yours is
hardly `huge'.

I don't know what .dat format is (or, rather, I know many different
definitions of it).  But your problem seems a small one
for the current limits of 32-bit R for Windows, and on more capable
platforms (e.g. 64-bit Unix or Linux) a tiny one.  Just make sure you have
lots of RAM in your computer: R can make use of up to 3Gb (and the OS will
want some, too).