Dataframe is character

P. Roberto Bakker
Hi everybody,

Question: why are my dataframe and numeric variables a character?

I read an excel file via readxl but my dataframe is a character, and
numeric variables, eg "yi", are also a character.
My excelfile is in English numeric
Sometimes the dataframe was indeed a dataframe, but I do not know why it
did sometimes.
Thank you in advance, Roberto
PS I used "guess". The problem is not solve by using "text", "numeric" etc

My syntax (I think I cannot send the excel file as binary?)

> library(readxl)
> library(readxl)
> library(metafor)
> setwd("C:/docs/Work2/Statistic_Analyses/MetaQTcAD")
> getwd()
[1] "C:/docs/Work2/Statistic_Analyses/MetaQTcAD"

> dat <- read_excel("Hedges-g_QTc MA_R05.xlsx", sheet = 2, col_names=TRUE,
col_types = c("guess"))
> class("dat")
[1] "character"
> class("yi")
[1] "character"

Re: Dataframe is character

Petra Oleum
class("dat") is different from class(dat), which is what you actually want.

On 17-11-17, P. Roberto Bakker wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Question: why are my dataframe and numeric variables a character?
>
> I read an excel file via readxl but my dataframe is a character, and
> numeric variables, eg "yi", are also a character.
> My excelfile is in English numeric
> Sometimes the dataframe was indeed a dataframe, but I do not know why it
> did sometimes.
> Thank you in advance, Roberto
> PS I used "guess". The problem is not solve by using "text", "numeric" etc
>
> My syntax (I think I cannot send the excel file as binary?)
>
> > library(readxl)
> > library(readxl)
> > library(metafor)
> > setwd("C:/docs/Work2/Statistic_Analyses/MetaQTcAD")
> > getwd()
> [1] "C:/docs/Work2/Statistic_Analyses/MetaQTcAD"
> >

> > dat <- read_excel("Hedges-g_QTc MA_R05.xlsx", sheet = 2, col_names=TRUE,
> col_types = c("guess"))
> > class("dat")
> [1] "character"
> > class("yi")
> [1] "character"

Re: Dataframe is character

Ivan Calandra-5
Hi Roberto,

This often happens when there are some non-numeric characters. You would
have to check it.
Without more information, e.g. dput(dat), you will have to find by yourself.

HTH,
Ivan

--
Dr. Ivan Calandra
TraCEr, laboratory for Traceology and Controlled Experiments

On 17/11/2017 10:41, P. Roberto Bakker wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Question: why are my dataframe and numeric variables a character?
>
> I read an excel file via readxl but my dataframe is a character, and
> numeric variables, eg "yi", are also a character.
> My excelfile is in English numeric
> Sometimes the dataframe was indeed a dataframe, but I do not know why it
> did sometimes.
> Thank you in advance, Roberto
> PS I used "guess". The problem is not solve by using "text", "numeric" etc
>
> My syntax (I think I cannot send the excel file as binary?)
>
>> library(readxl)
>> library(readxl)
>> library(metafor)
>> setwd("C:/docs/Work2/Statistic_Analyses/MetaQTcAD")
>> getwd()
> [1] "C:/docs/Work2/Statistic_Analyses/MetaQTcAD"
>> dat <- read_excel("Hedges-g_QTc MA_R05.xlsx", sheet = 2, col_names=TRUE,
> col_types = c("guess"))
>> class("dat")
> [1] "character"
>> class("yi")