Default value of the option initial in the ses function in the forecast package.

Ashim Kapoor
Dear All,

I am trying to use the function ses from the forecast package.

From its help I have :

Usage:

     ses(y, h = 10, level = c(80, 95), fan = FALSE, initial = c("optimal",
       "simple"), alpha = NULL, lambda = NULL, biasadj = FALSE, x = y, ...)

My query is that if I do not mention the initial value will its default
value be "optimal".

A MWE would be  :

library(fpp)
oildata <- window(oil,start=1996,end=2007)
fit3 <- ses(oildata, h=3)

In the above is the default value of initial "optimal" or "simple" ?

Note I have taken this example from https://www.otexts.org/fpp/7/1

Best Regards,
Ashim

Re: Default value of the option initial in the ses function in the forecast package.

Peter Dalgaard-2
The first one, i.e. "optimal"; check help for match.arg() for the idiom.

-pd

> On 2 Oct 2017, at 11:48 , Ashim Kapoor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear All,
>
> I am trying to use the function ses from the forecast package.
>
> From its help I have :
>
> Usage:
>
>     ses(y, h = 10, level = c(80, 95), fan = FALSE, initial = c("optimal",
>       "simple"), alpha = NULL, lambda = NULL, biasadj = FALSE, x = y, ...)
>
> My query is that if I do not mention the initial value will its default
> value be "optimal".
>
> A MWE would be  :
>
> library(fpp)
> oildata <- window(oil,start=1996,end=2007)
> fit3 <- ses(oildata, h=3)
>
> In the above is the default value of initial "optimal" or "simple" ?
>
> Note I have taken this example from https://www.otexts.org/fpp/7/1
>
> Best Regards,
> Ashim

Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501
Office: A 4.23

Re: Default value of the option initial in the ses function in the forecast package.

Ashim Kapoor
Dear Peter,

Many thanks,
Ashim