Display a DataFrame in a data grid

Ed Heaton
Hi, all;

I'm new to R.  Have been a SAS developer for over 20 years.

Whenever I create a new table - you call them dataFrame objects - or modify
an existing one, I like to open the table in a grid with horizontal and
vertical sliders so that I can scan across the table and (especially) look
at all four corners.  If I made a gross error, it often shows up when I look
at the corners of the table.

I just can't seem to find how to evoke such a display.  Can anybody help me
here?

Ed

Ed Heaton
Project Manager, Sr. SAS Developer
Data and Analytic Solutions, Inc.
3057 Nutley Street, #602
Fairfax, VA 22031
Office: 301-520-7414
Fax: 703-991-8182
 <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]
 <http://www.dasconsultants.com/> www.dasconsultants.com
CMMI ML-2, SBA 8(a) & SDB, WBE (WBENC), MBE (VA & MD)

Re: Display a DataFrame in a data grid

Michael Weylandt
Welcome to the dark-side!

I think the View() command will do what you want. This brings up a new
window that displays the data spreadsheet style and you can scroll wherever
you wish. If you want to do work in your command window, the head() and
tail() commands will be of help to you.

If you are just getting started with R, I'd recommend the RStudio IDE, which
will let you pull up variables directly by clicking on their workspace
entry.

Feel free to back get in touch if this doesn't work for you.

Michael Weylandt

PS - In R speak, it's data.frame -- you probably knew that already, but
that's one of those little mistakes that can be oh so frustrating to find,
so I thought I'd just make sure.

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Ed Heaton <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi, all;
>

> I'm new to R.  Have been a SAS developer for over 20 years.
>

> Whenever I create a new table - you call them dataFrame objects - or modify
> an existing one, I like to open the table in a grid with horizontal and
> vertical sliders so that I can scan across the table and (especially) look
> at all four corners.  If I made a gross error, it often shows up when I
> look
> at the corners of the table.
>

> I just can't seem to find how to evoke such a display.  Can anybody help me
> here?
>

> Ed
>

> Ed Heaton
> Project Manager, Sr. SAS Developer
> Data and Analytic Solutions, Inc.
> 3057 Nutley Street, #602
> Fairfax, VA 22031
> Office: 301-520-7414
> Fax: 703-991-8182
>  <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]
>  <http://www.dasconsultants.com/> www.dasconsultants.com
> CMMI ML-2, SBA 8(a) & SDB, WBE (WBENC), MBE (VA & MD)

Re: Display a DataFrame in a data grid

Joshua Wiley-2
Hi Ed,

In addition to Michael's suggestion (which is probably what you want),
consider something like:

head(mtcars)
tail(mtcars)

or for just the corners, you could try a little function like this:

corner <- function(x, n = 3L, ...) {
  stopifnot(length(n) == 1L)
  if (n < 0L || n * 2 > min(dim(x))) n <- floor(min(dim(x))/2)
  x[c(1:n, (nrow(x) - n):nrow(x)), c(1:n, (ncol(x) - n):ncol(x))]
}

corner(mtcars)
corner(mtcars, n = 5)

This extracts a n x n matrix from each corner.

Cheers,

Josh

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 9:52 AM, R. Michael Weylandt
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Welcome to the dark-side!
>
> I think the View() command will do what you want. This brings up a new
> window that displays the data spreadsheet style and you can scroll wherever
> you wish. If you want to do work in your command window, the head() and
> tail() commands will be of help to you.
>
> If you are just getting started with R, I'd recommend the RStudio IDE, which
> will let you pull up variables directly by clicking on their workspace
> entry.
>
> Feel free to back get in touch if this doesn't work for you.
>
> Michael Weylandt
>
> PS - In R speak, it's data.frame -- you probably knew that already, but
> that's one of those little mistakes that can be oh so frustrating to find,
> so I thought I'd just make sure.
>
> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Ed Heaton <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hi, all;
>>

>> I'm new to R.  Have been a SAS developer for over 20 years.
>>

>> Whenever I create a new table - you call them dataFrame objects - or modify
>> an existing one, I like to open the table in a grid with horizontal and
>> vertical sliders so that I can scan across the table and (especially) look
>> at all four corners.  If I made a gross error, it often shows up when I
>> look
>> at the corners of the table.
>>

>> I just can't seem to find how to evoke such a display.  Can anybody help me
>> here?
>>

>> Ed
>>

>> Ed Heaton
>> Project Manager, Sr. SAS Developer
>> Data and Analytic Solutions, Inc.
>> 3057 Nutley Street, #602
>> Fairfax, VA 22031
>> Office: 301-520-7414
>> Fax: 703-991-8182
>>  <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]
>>  <http://www.dasconsultants.com/> www.dasconsultants.com
>> CMMI ML-2, SBA 8(a) & SDB, WBE (WBENC), MBE (VA & MD)

Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology
Programmer Analyst II, ATS Statistical Consulting Group
University of California, Los Angeles
https://joshuawiley.com/