Drill down reports in R

Manohar Reddy
Hi,

  How to generate “Drill down reports ”  (like please refer below url) in R
using any package ? I did lot of research in google but I didn’t found
suitable link .

 Can anyone help how to do that in R ?

url :  http://bhushan.extreme-advice.com/drilldown-report-in-ssrs/

Thanks in Advance !

Manu.

Re: Drill down reports in R

John Kane
It is not really clear what you want but have a look at ?subset perhaps.

John Kane
Kingston ON Canada

Re: Drill down reports in R

Marc Schwartz-3
Hi,

Generally "drilldown" reports require a dynamic GUI that supports widgets that generate the data queries behind the scenes in response to user input/clicks and then updated the display dynamically with the additional data/content.

This would be more typical of business oriented reporting/OLAP tools like Cognos, Business Objects, Crystal Reports, etc.

The first thing that came to mind is RStudio's Shiny, which I do not use, but their gallery seems to have some possibilities:

  http://shiny.rstudio.com/gallery/

Regards,

Marc Schwartz

> On Sep 13, 2016, at 9:48 AM, John Kane <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It is not really clear what you want but have a look at ?subset perhaps.
>
> John Kane
> Kingston ON Canada

Re: Drill down reports in R

Manohar Reddy
Hi Jhon,

 Thanks for responding my email ,actually my requirement is I have Orders
and related tables and now I need to generate a report something looks like
below whenever user click on “+” that report will be expanded .I know it is
possible in SSRS (SQl Server Reporting Services) but now my requirement is
I need to generate that kind of report in R.

 If we look at screen shot (or PFA) almost 100244 order exists  8 times
,now I want to generate the report whenever user clicks on order 100244 and
it needs to be expand and need to display the cost of all the products and
what are the products they were purchased on this orderID .

Note: in backend I did using Group by (sql) but I don’t know how to present
in this report.

Hi Marc,

   Thanks,Currently I’m creating reports  using shinyapps only ,I have
checked out throghly with shinyapps but I didn’t find any solution,is there
any alternative way that I can use to genarate the drill down report.

 Manu.

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 8:33 PM, Marc Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Generally "drilldown" reports require a dynamic GUI that supports widgets
> that generate the data queries behind the scenes in response to user
> input/clicks and then updated the display dynamically with the additional
> data/content.
>
> This would be more typical of business oriented reporting/OLAP tools like
> Cognos, Business Objects, Crystal Reports, etc.
>
> The first thing that came to mind is RStudio's Shiny, which I do not use,
> but their gallery seems to have some possibilities:
>
>   http://shiny.rstudio.com/gallery/
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc Schwartz
>

> > On Sep 13, 2016, at 9:48 AM, John Kane <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > It is not really clear what you want but have a look at ?subset perhaps.
> >
> > John Kane
> > Kingston ON Canada

Manohar Reddy P
+91-9705302062.

Orders_details.PNG (21K) Download Attachment

Re: Drill down reports in R

R. Mark Sharp
Manu,

With pure R, you can simply write a link in the parent document to a child document you have created. Alternative, and likely better, solutions could be based on AJAX, but I do not think you are going to do that all within R.

Mark

> On Sep 13, 2016, at 11:11 AM, Manohar Reddy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Jhon,
>

> Thanks for responding my email ,actually my requirement is I have Orders
> and related tables and now I need to generate a report something looks like
> below whenever user click on “+” that report will be expanded .I know it is
> possible in SSRS (SQl Server Reporting Services) but now my requirement is
> I need to generate that kind of report in R.
>

> If we look at screen shot (or PFA) almost 100244 order exists  8 times
> ,now I want to generate the report whenever user clicks on order 100244 and
> it needs to be expand and need to display the cost of all the products and
> what are the products they were purchased on this orderID .
>

> Note: in backend I did using Group by (sql) but I don’t know how to present
> in this report.
>

> Hi Marc,
>

>   Thanks,Currently I’m creating reports  using shinyapps only ,I have
> checked out throghly with shinyapps but I didn’t find any solution,is there
> any alternative way that I can use to genarate the drill down report.
>

> Manu.
>
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 8:33 PM, Marc Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Generally "drilldown" reports require a dynamic GUI that supports widgets
>> that generate the data queries behind the scenes in response to user
>> input/clicks and then updated the display dynamically with the additional
>> data/content.
>>
>> This would be more typical of business oriented reporting/OLAP tools like
>> Cognos, Business Objects, Crystal Reports, etc.
>>
>> The first thing that came to mind is RStudio's Shiny, which I do not use,
>> but their gallery seems to have some possibilities:
>>
>>  http://shiny.rstudio.com/gallery/
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Marc Schwartz
>>

>>> On Sep 13, 2016, at 9:48 AM, John Kane <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> It is not really clear what you want but have a look at ?subset perhaps.
>>>
>>> John Kane
>>> Kingston ON Canada

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any files and/or attachments transmitted, may contain privileged and confidential information and is intended solely for the exclusive use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and/or attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender stating that this transmission was misdirected; return the e-mail to sender; destroy all paper copies and delete all electronic copies from your system without disclosing its contents.

Re: Drill down reports in R

Marc Schwartz-3

> On Sep 13, 2016, at 11:11 AM, Manohar Reddy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Jhon,
>

>  Thanks for responding my email ,actually my requirement is I have Orders and related tables and now I need to generate a report something looks like below whenever user click on “+” that report will be expanded .I know it is possible in SSRS (SQl Server Reporting Services) but now my requirement is I need to generate that kind of report in R.
>

>  If we look at screen shot (or PFA) almost 100244 order exists  8 times ,now I want to generate the report whenever user clicks on order 100244 and it needs to be expand and need to display the cost of all the products and what are the products they were purchased on this orderID .
>

> Note: in backend I did using Group by (sql) but I don’t know how to present in this report.
>

> Hi Marc,
>

>    Thanks,Currently I’m creating reports  using shinyapps only ,I have checked out throghly with shinyapps but I didn’t find any solution,is there any alternative way that I can use to genarate the drill down report.
>

>  Manu.

Hi Manu,

As noted, the type of functionality that you are looking for would typically require a GUI that supports dynamic interactions and updating. That is why there are dedicated reporting tools, as I noted, that have evolved over the years, to serve that need in the typical business domains where it is used.

Most of those tools typically interface with a live server database backend (e.g. Oracle, MySQL, etc.), a local database or spreadsheet file (e.g. MS Access or Excel via ODBC) or an intermediate "OLAP cube" construct, as the primary data repository to which dynamic queries are sent based upon user inputs from the GUI.

If Shiny does not have that in place already and you wanted to use Shiny, you would need to develop it on your own or have likely have to pay someone do it for you.

I am not aware of other possible R related GUIs that support that type of interaction, albeit, it is possible that somebody has done something that is not yet well publicized or may be for internal use only.

There are a variety of supporting technologies (e.g. AJAX, Java, etc.) that could provide for that type of functionality, either stand alone or within a browser based environment, but it would not be "pure R" per se.

It may also be possible that one of the other commercial R vendors (e.g. Microsoft) have built something on top of a server version of R and you would need to contact them to see if that is the case.

Regards,

Marc

> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 8:33 PM, Marc Schwartz <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Generally "drilldown" reports require a dynamic GUI that supports widgets that generate the data queries behind the scenes in response to user input/clicks and then updated the display dynamically with the additional data/content.
>
> This would be more typical of business oriented reporting/OLAP tools like Cognos, Business Objects, Crystal Reports, etc.
>
> The first thing that came to mind is RStudio's Shiny, which I do not use, but their gallery seems to have some possibilities:
>
>   http://shiny.rstudio.com/gallery/ <http://shiny.rstudio.com/gallery/>
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc Schwartz
>

> > On Sep 13, 2016, at 9:48 AM, John Kane <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> > It is not really clear what you want but have a look at ?subset perhaps.
> >
> > John Kane
> > Kingston ON Canada

Re: Drill down reports in R

glsnow
As has been mentioned, this really requires a GUI tool beyond just R.
Luckily there are many GUI tools that have been linked to R and if
Shiny (the shiniest of them) does not have something like this easily
available so far then you may want to look elsewhere in the meantime.

One option is the tcltk package which interfaces with the Tk GUI tools
(and the tcl language) which does have the pieces to build in the
expandable/drill down interface.  One implementation of this is the
TkListView function in the TeachingDemos package which can be used to
view list objects in this manner (it starts with the top level list
objects, then when you click on a + symbol it will open that piece and
show one level down).

One possibility would be to create all of your results in a list, then
view it with TkListView  (this will require all computations up front,
whether anyone looks at them or not).

Another option would be to start with TkListView and rewrite it to do
things more dynamically and with the output that you want to show.

There is also the shinyTree package on CRAN that allows a tree type
object in shiny that may do what you want (I don't know what all
options it allows and what it can display beyond what is in the
Readme).

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 4:46 AM, Manohar Reddy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

>   How to generate “Drill down reports ”  (like please refer below url) in R
> using any package ? I did lot of research in google but I didn’t found
> suitable link .
>
>  Can anyone help how to do that in R ?
>

> url :  http://bhushan.extreme-advice.com/drilldown-report-in-ssrs/
>

> Thanks in Advance !
>
> Manu.

Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.

Re: Drill down reports in R

Manohar Reddy
Hi ,

  It would be great if someone can share the links how to generate the
drill down reports/tables using combination of  “R & Javascript/Ajax/some
other packages”.

Note : I tried with *shinytree* package but it’s not met my requirement.

Manu.

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 11:02 PM, Greg Snow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As has been mentioned, this really requires a GUI tool beyond just R.
> Luckily there are many GUI tools that have been linked to R and if
> Shiny (the shiniest of them) does not have something like this easily
> available so far then you may want to look elsewhere in the meantime.
>
> One option is the tcltk package which interfaces with the Tk GUI tools
> (and the tcl language) which does have the pieces to build in the
> expandable/drill down interface.  One implementation of this is the
> TkListView function in the TeachingDemos package which can be used to
> view list objects in this manner (it starts with the top level list
> objects, then when you click on a + symbol it will open that piece and
> show one level down).
>
> One possibility would be to create all of your results in a list, then
> view it with TkListView  (this will require all computations up front,
> whether anyone looks at them or not).
>
> Another option would be to start with TkListView and rewrite it to do
> things more dynamically and with the output that you want to show.
>
> There is also the shinyTree package on CRAN that allows a tree type
> object in shiny that may do what you want (I don't know what all
> options it allows and what it can display beyond what is in the
> Readme).
>

> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 4:46 AM, Manohar Reddy <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> >   How to generate “Drill down reports ”  (like please refer below url)
> in R
> > using any package ? I did lot of research in google but I didn’t found
> > suitable link .
> >
> >  Can anyone help how to do that in R ?
> >

> > url :  http://bhushan.extreme-advice.com/drilldown-report-in-ssrs/
> >

> > Thanks in Advance !