Dynamic load

Mikael Anderson
Hi,

I am trying to load a FORTRAN program which I have downloaded from netlib.
Counting the number of dependencies, there are about 10 programs which have
to be loaded. This is under SunOS 5.9 and R 2.2.1.  I have compiled the
files with R221 CMD SHLIB *.f.

If I load these object files one by one with dyn.load()  I get an error like
_j4save:reference symbol not found.

I have used S-Plus in the past 15 years and what I remember is that  in the
old versions of S-Plus (3.4 maybe?) one could create  one single object file
under UNIX and load them with dyn.load but I don't have access to those old
manuals at the moment.  I am new to R, so I wonder what is the best way of

/Mikael

Re: Dynamic load

Uwe Ligges
Mikael Anderson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to load a FORTRAN program which I have downloaded from netlib.
> Counting the number of dependencies, there are about 10 programs which have
> to be loaded. This is under SunOS 5.9 and R 2.2.1.  I have compiled the
> files with R221 CMD SHLIB *.f.
>
> If I load these object files one by one with dyn.load()  I get an error like
> _j4save:reference symbol not found.

Why not compile them into one shared library?

> I have used S-Plus in the past 15 years and what I remember is that  in the
> old versions of S-Plus (3.4 maybe?) one could create  one single object file
> under UNIX and load them with dyn.load but I don't have access to those old
> manuals at the moment.  I am new to R, so I wonder what is the best way of

It might surprise many R-help posters, but R has manuals as well...

Uwe Ligges