ESS and Emacs

mark leeds-4
I have been using the document written by John Fox titled
Sn Introduction to ESS + XEmacs for Windows
Users of R.

It's a very nice document and
I went through it carefully but I got
an error when I finished it and launched XEmacs.

The error is "cannot open load file : ess-site".

So, I did more investigation
and it seems like there is a folder

Program Files/XEmacs/xemacs-packages/etc/ess

that should have been created when
I downloaded XEmacs but it doesn't exist.
There is a folder called efs ( rather than ess ) but
I don't think that's it.

I tried installing XEmacs again but the
same thing happened.

Does anyone know anything about this ?
I am using Windows NT.
Thanks.

                                     Mark

Re: ESS and Emacs

paul sorenson-5
I tried it with XEmacs on Win XP and I had to install ESS separately.

Mark Leeds wrote:

> I have been using the document written by John Fox titled
> Sn Introduction to ESS + XEmacs for Windows
> Users of R.
>
> It's a very nice document and
> I went through it carefully but I got
> an error when I finished it and launched XEmacs.
>
> The error is "cannot open load file : ess-site".
>
> So, I did more investigation
> and it seems like there is a folder
>
> Program Files/XEmacs/xemacs-packages/etc/ess
>
> that should have been created when
> I downloaded XEmacs but it doesn't exist.
> There is a folder called efs ( rather than ess ) but
> I don't think that's it.
>
> I tried installing XEmacs again but the
> same thing happened.
>
> Does anyone know anything about this ?
> I am using Windows NT.
> Thanks.
>
>                                      Mark

Re: ESS and Emacs

Fox, John
Dear Paul and Mark,

I've just taken a look at the current XEmacs setup program for Windows, and
it has changed significantly since the document to which you referred was
last updated (about a year ago). In particular, the XEmacs setup no longer
gives you the option to install all packages, as I recommended. Among these
is ess, which is not in the small set of packages that XEmacs currently
installs, nor does ess seem to be available via the packages tool in XEmacs.

I'm copying this response to the ESS help list, and will remove the
XEmacs/ESS document on my web site so that people aren't further misled.

Sorry for the problem,
 John

--------------------------------
John Fox
Department of Sociology
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario
Canada L8S 4M4
905-525-9140x23604
http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox
--------------------------------

Re: [ESS] ESS and Emacs

A.J. Rossini
Whoops, sorry John.  In the last few months, we took off the XEmacs
packaged ESS since it wasn't keeping up very well with the tarball,
due to complications, mis-matched release schedules/requirements, and
the like.

It now needs to be installed from tarball, though there is some help
for that, I believe.  (someone remind me what it is!).

On 12/30/05, John Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Paul and Mark,
>
> I've just taken a look at the current XEmacs setup program for Windows, and
> it has changed significantly since the document to which you referred was
> last updated (about a year ago). In particular, the XEmacs setup no longer
> gives you the option to install all packages, as I recommended. Among these
> is ess, which is not in the small set of packages that XEmacs currently
> installs, nor does ess seem to be available via the packages tool in XEmacs.
>

> I'm copying this response to the ESS help list, and will remove the
> XEmacs/ESS document on my web site so that people aren't further misled.
>
> Sorry for the problem,
>  John
>
> --------------------------------
> John Fox
> Department of Sociology
> McMaster University
> Hamilton, Ontario
> Canada L8S 4M4
> 905-525-9140x23604
> http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox

best,
-tony

[hidden email]
Muttenz, Switzerland.
"Commit early,commit often, and commit in a repository from which we can easily
roll-back your mistakes" (AJR, 4Jan05).