Error in X11(paste("png::", filename, sep = ""), width, height, pointsize unable to start device PNG

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Error in X11(paste("png::", filename, sep = ""), width, height, pointsize unable to start device PNG

Vincent Deng
Hi,
I got this error while using png() function in RedHat 9.0.

"Error in X11(paste("png::", filename, sep = ""), width, height, pointsize
unable to start device PNG"

It looks like the system lacks some library for graphics. Can anyone
tell me which rpm I should install to have png() function work with
out problem?

Thanks ...

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide! http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error in X11(paste("png::", filename, sep = ""), width, height, pointsize unable to start device PNG

Marc Schwartz (via MN)
On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 00:34 +0800, Vincent Deng wrote:

> Hi,
> I got this error while using png() function in RedHat 9.0.
>
> "Error in X11(paste("png::", filename, sep = ""), width, height, pointsize
> unable to start device PNG"
>
> It looks like the system lacks some library for graphics. Can anyone
> tell me which rpm I should install to have png() function work with
> out problem?
>
> Thanks ...


How did you install R and which version of R are you running?

I am going to guess that you installed by compiling from source (since
RH9 RPMS are not available). This suggests that the error above is
because you do not have the required 'libpng*-devel' RPMS installed on
your system.

>From a console, type:

  rpm -qa libpng*

You will need to install the corresponding 'devel' rpm for each libpng
RPM that is returned and then recompile and reinstall R.

Are you able to display plots to the screen (X11 device) directly? If
not, you will also need to install the XFree86 related devel RPMS as
well.

On a side note, RH9 is a fairly dated and EOL'd distribution, with
security updates and bug patches only provided by the Fedora Legacy
folks (http://fedoralegacy.org). You should consider upgrading to Fedora
in the near future (if you want to stay with RH), since the FL folks can
drop support for RH9 at any time, leaving you vulnerable.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide! http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error in X11(paste("png::", filename, sep = ""), width, height, pointsize unable to start device PNG

paul sorenson-5
Marc Schwartz wrote:
> ...
> On a side note, RH9 is a fairly dated and EOL'd distribution, with
> security updates and bug patches only provided by the Fedora Legacy
> folks (http://fedoralegacy.org). You should consider upgrading to Fedora
> in the near future (if you want to stay with RH), since the FL folks can
> drop support for RH9 at any time, leaving you vulnerable.

Yes but also don't do this naively.  You might find that gcc 4 breaks
some of your source compilations and IIRC this is the default compiler
if you install FC4 with the "install everything" option.  I haven't
tried compiling R with gcc 4, this is just a general comment.

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide! http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error in X11(paste("png::", filename, sep = ""), width, height, pointsize unable to start device PNG

Marc Schwartz (via MN)
On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 12:30 +1100, paul sorenson wrote:

> Marc Schwartz wrote:
> > ...
> > On a side note, RH9 is a fairly dated and EOL'd distribution, with
> > security updates and bug patches only provided by the Fedora Legacy
> > folks (http://fedoralegacy.org). You should consider upgrading to Fedora
> > in the near future (if you want to stay with RH), since the FL folks can
> > drop support for RH9 at any time, leaving you vulnerable.
>
> Yes but also don't do this naively.  You might find that gcc 4 breaks
> some of your source compilations and IIRC this is the default compiler
> if you install FC4 with the "install everything" option.  I haven't
> tried compiling R with gcc 4, this is just a general comment.

I do know that Prof. Ripley, Peter Dalgaard and Martyn Plummer have
spent a fair amount of time on this issue and there are notes in the
R-admin manual regarding some of the gcc 4.x problems.

There were also various discussions on r-devel and offlist over the past
several months about these issues, later including Tom Callaway from Red
Hat, who is the Fedora Extras package maintainer for the R offerings in
those repos. These had to do with the various compiler, optimization
flag and later BLAS/LAPACK issues.

The current gcc version on a fully updated FC4 system is:

$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.0.2 20051125 (Red Hat 4.0.2-8)

and I believe solves the prior issues related to 4.0.0. R compiles fine
on my fully updated FC4 system and passes 'make check all' without
error.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide! http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Error in X11(paste("png::", filename, sep = ""), width, height, pointsize unable to start device PNG

Brian Ripley
Two comments:

1) Marc did not suggest updating to FC4 but to Fedora.  It makes a lot of
sense to update RH8.0/9 systems to FC3 (which is what we have done) or
RHEL4 or CentOS (which have a similar code base).

2) A fully patched FC4 is indeed usable as Marc says, and some R-core
members use it. R works well with gcc4.0.2/gfortran apart from a few
issues reported in the R-admin manual.  Almost all the problems with CRAN
packages are related to gfortran: some are not legal Fortran 77, and
others gfortran cannot compile or can only compile without optimization.

One thing that is dangerous on some architectures (notably x86_64 and
ia64, also known from PPC) is to mix code compiled with gcc4 and gcc3
since the argument-passing conventions were changed.  So I would start
an FC4 installation afresh rather than do an upgrade even from FC3.

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Marc Schwartz wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 12:30 +1100, paul sorenson wrote:
>> Marc Schwartz wrote:
>>> ...
>>> On a side note, RH9 is a fairly dated and EOL'd distribution, with
>>> security updates and bug patches only provided by the Fedora Legacy
>>> folks (http://fedoralegacy.org). You should consider upgrading to Fedora
>>> in the near future (if you want to stay with RH), since the FL folks can
>>> drop support for RH9 at any time, leaving you vulnerable.
>>
>> Yes but also don't do this naively.  You might find that gcc 4 breaks
>> some of your source compilations and IIRC this is the default compiler
>> if you install FC4 with the "install everything" option.  I haven't
>> tried compiling R with gcc 4, this is just a general comment.
>
> I do know that Prof. Ripley, Peter Dalgaard and Martyn Plummer have
> spent a fair amount of time on this issue and there are notes in the
> R-admin manual regarding some of the gcc 4.x problems.
>
> There were also various discussions on r-devel and offlist over the past
> several months about these issues, later including Tom Callaway from Red
> Hat, who is the Fedora Extras package maintainer for the R offerings in
> those repos. These had to do with the various compiler, optimization
> flag and later BLAS/LAPACK issues.
>
> The current gcc version on a fully updated FC4 system is:
>
> $ gcc --version
> gcc (GCC) 4.0.2 20051125 (Red Hat 4.0.2-8)
>
> and I believe solves the prior issues related to 4.0.0. R compiles fine
> on my fully updated FC4 system and passes 'make check all' without
> error.

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  [hidden email]
Professor of Applied Statistics,  http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~ripley/
University of Oxford,             Tel:  +44 1865 272861 (self)
1 South Parks Road,                     +44 1865 272866 (PA)
Oxford OX1 3TG, UK                Fax:  +44 1865 272595

______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-help
PLEASE do read the posting guide! http://www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html