Quantcast

Exporting an rgl graph

cgenolin
Hi the list,

I use rgl to produce a 3D graph. I would like to "show" this graph to
some collaborator. Is there a way to save it and send it to someone
else?

Christophe Genolini

Re: Exporting an rgl graph

Barry Rowlingson
On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 10:24 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi the list,
>
> I use rgl to produce a 3D graph. I would like to "show" this graph to some
> collaborator. Is there a way to save it and send it to someone else?

See ?rgl.postscript and ?rgl.snapshot

 Or use some kind of screen capture system - on Windows the 'Print
Screen' key can copy the screen to the clipboard, paste into Photoshop
or other graphics program.

 On Linux, I use 'scrot' from the command line - type 'scrot -s',
click on a window, and it makes a PNG file of it.

--
blog: http://geospaced.blogspot.com/
web: http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/~rowlings

Re: Exporting an rgl graph

Ted.Harding-2
On 15-Apr-10 10:10:54, Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 10:24 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi the list,
>>
>> I use rgl to produce a 3D graph. I would like to "show" this graph
>> to some collaborator. Is there a way to save it and send it to
>> someone else?
>
> See ?rgl.postscript and ?rgl.snapshot
>
>  Or use some kind of screen capture system - on Windows the 'Print
> Screen' key can copy the screen to the clipboard, paste into Photoshop
> or other graphics program.
>
>  On Linux, I use 'scrot' from the command line - type 'scrot -s',
> click on a window, and it makes a PNG file of it.

Again on Linux, since ImageMagick is installed, I use the 'import'
programme from that suite. When you start that, it produces a
"+"-shaped mouse cursor which you can use (selecting a top-left-hand
corner to start with, and holding down the left mouse button) to
drag out a bounding frame for the part of the screen you want to
save. Then, when you release the button, an image of that portion
of the screen is saved to a file of your choice, in any graphics
format of your choice that is supported by ImageMagick (including
PS and EPS, as well as all the common butmap formats).

See 'man import' for pointers to more information.

I have this set up as an icon on my "launch" panel, so it is just
a matter of clicking on that, and then doing the above. The command
behind the icon is

  /usr/local/bin/mkscreengrab

and my script file 'mkscreengrab' contains:

  #! /bin/bash
  export ScrGrbTmp=`mktemp /home/ted/Screengrabs/screengrabXXXX`
  import $ScrGrbTmp.jpg
  rm $ScrGrbTmp

so this makes JPEGs (I could have chosen somthing else, but that's
the default I mostly want for that activity). This produces a file
with a name like "screengrab4913.jpg" which will be unique in that
directory, and it can later be renamed to your taste.

If I wanted a different file format, I would use 'import' from
the command line, with appropriate filenam extension (e.g. ".png",
".ps", ".eps", ... ).

I hadn't heard of scrot before, but now I've looked it up it
seems that its output format is limited to PNG.

I've now also located more info about various ways of taking
screenshots in Linux:

http://tips.webdesign10.com/how-to-take-a-screenshot-on-ubuntu-linux

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <[hidden email]>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 15-Apr-10                                       Time: 12:18:25

Re: Exporting an rgl graph

cgenolin
Thanks for you answer. Let me precise my question.

In fact, I do not want to "capture" a screen, I want to save an object
that can be seen in 3D. With rgl, using my mouse, I can make the object
move. This is what I want to export: an real 3D object that my
collaborator will have the possibility to see in 3D.

Christophe

> On 15-Apr-10 10:10:54, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 10:24 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi the list,
>>>
>>> I use rgl to produce a 3D graph. I would like to "show" this graph
>>> to some collaborator. Is there a way to save it and send it to
>>> someone else?
>>
>> See ?rgl.postscript and ?rgl.snapshot
>>
>>  Or use some kind of screen capture system - on Windows the 'Print
>> Screen' key can copy the screen to the clipboard, paste into Photoshop
>> or other graphics program.
>>
>>  On Linux, I use 'scrot' from the command line - type 'scrot -s',
>> click on a window, and it makes a PNG file of it.
>
> Again on Linux, since ImageMagick is installed, I use the 'import'
> programme from that suite. When you start that, it produces a
> "+"-shaped mouse cursor which you can use (selecting a top-left-hand
> corner to start with, and holding down the left mouse button) to
> drag out a bounding frame for the part of the screen you want to
> save. Then, when you release the button, an image of that portion
> of the screen is saved to a file of your choice, in any graphics
> format of your choice that is supported by ImageMagick (including
> PS and EPS, as well as all the common butmap formats).
>
> See 'man import' for pointers to more information.
>
> I have this set up as an icon on my "launch" panel, so it is just
> a matter of clicking on that, and then doing the above. The command
> behind the icon is
>
>  /usr/local/bin/mkscreengrab
>
> and my script file 'mkscreengrab' contains:
>
>  #! /bin/bash
>  export ScrGrbTmp=`mktemp /home/ted/Screengrabs/screengrabXXXX`
>  import $ScrGrbTmp.jpg
>  rm $ScrGrbTmp
>
> so this makes JPEGs (I could have chosen somthing else, but that's
> the default I mostly want for that activity). This produces a file
> with a name like "screengrab4913.jpg" which will be unique in that
> directory, and it can later be renamed to your taste.
>
> If I wanted a different file format, I would use 'import' from
> the command line, with appropriate filenam extension (e.g. ".png",
> ".ps", ".eps", ... ).
>
> I hadn't heard of scrot before, but now I've looked it up it
> seems that its output format is limited to PNG.
>
> I've now also located more info about various ways of taking
> screenshots in Linux:
>
> http://tips.webdesign10.com/how-to-take-a-screenshot-on-ubuntu-linux
>
> Ted.

Re: Exporting an rgl graph

Barry Rowlingson
On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 1:01 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for you answer. Let me precise my question.
>
> In fact, I do not want to "capture" a screen, I want to save an object that
> can be seen in 3D. With rgl, using my mouse, I can make the object move.
> This is what I want to export: an real 3D object that my collaborator will
> have the possibility to see in 3D.

 You mean without them having to install R and rgl and run the code
that produces your graphic?

 I guess you could somehow export a VRML or some other 3d file:

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRML

 but I suspect of all the billions of people on the planet only Duncan
Murdoch knows enough about rgl to figure that one out...

 The person at the other end would still need a VRML viewer. Just get
them to install R.

Barry

Re: Exporting an rgl graph

baptiste auguie-5
I have seen pdf files with 3D objects embedded in it, using the U3D format,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_3D

but I don't think there's a device for this in R; in fact there may
not even exist a third-party post-processing route available at this
time to bridge the gap between rgl and this format. It sure would be
nice, though.

Best,

baptiste

On 15 April 2010 14:12, Barry Rowlingson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 1:01 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks for you answer. Let me precise my question.
>>
>> In fact, I do not want to "capture" a screen, I want to save an object that
>> can be seen in 3D. With rgl, using my mouse, I can make the object move.
>> This is what I want to export: an real 3D object that my collaborator will
>> have the possibility to see in 3D.
>>

>  You mean without them having to install R and rgl and run the code
> that produces your graphic?
>
>  I guess you could somehow export a VRML or some other 3d file:
>
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRML
>
>  but I suspect of all the billions of people on the planet only Duncan
> Murdoch knows enough about rgl to figure that one out...
>
>  The person at the other end would still need a VRML viewer. Just get
> them to install R.
>
> Barry

Re: Exporting an rgl graph

Ted.Harding-2
On 15-Apr-10 12:33:11, baptiste auguie wrote:
> I have seen pdf files with 3D objects embedded in it, using the U3D
> format,
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_3D

At the bottom of that page is a link to a very nice example:

  http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/wiki/images/c/cc/Laurana.pdf

"Embedding interactive 3D object in a PDF using MeshLab and U3D,
 Visual Computing Group. ISTI CNR. Example of an embedded U3D in a pdf."

Nice to play with! (With the mouse cursor over her, hold down the
button, and move around). According to the caption at the bottom:

  "This pdf was produced with open source tools. The object
   was converted in the pdf-ready U3D format with MeshLab
   ( http://meshlab.sourceforge.net ) and assembled in a pdf
   with pdfLATEX and the movie15 package."

I think there may be some scope here!
Ted.

Date: 15-Apr-10                                       Time: 13:54:02

Re: Exporting an rgl graph

Luke Tierney
The current issue of JCGS (Vol 18 No 1,
http://pubs.amstat.org/toc/jcgs/19/1) has an editorial on including
animations, 3D visualizations, and movies in on-line PDF files
supporting JCGS articles. The online supplements to the editorial
include examples.  The 3D examples related to the misc3d packages are
also available in
http://www.stat.uiowa.edu/~luke/R/misc3d/misc3d-pdf/.  At some point
the code there will be added to misc3d.  It should be possible to
adapt these ideas to other objects rendered with rgl.

luke

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010, baptiste auguie wrote:

> I have seen pdf files with 3D objects embedded in it, using the U3D format,
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_3D
>
> but I don't think there's a device for this in R; in fact there may
> not even exist a third-party post-processing route available at this
> time to bridge the gap between rgl and this format. It sure would be
> nice, though.
>
> Best,
>
> baptiste
>

> On 15 April 2010 14:12, Barry Rowlingson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 1:01 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Thanks for you answer. Let me precise my question.
>>>
>>> In fact, I do not want to "capture" a screen, I want to save an object that
>>> can be seen in 3D. With rgl, using my mouse, I can make the object move.
>>> This is what I want to export: an real 3D object that my collaborator will
>>> have the possibility to see in 3D.
>>>

>>  You mean without them having to install R and rgl and run the code
>> that produces your graphic?
>>
>>  I guess you could somehow export a VRML or some other 3d file:
>>
>>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRML
>>
>>  but I suspect of all the billions of people on the planet only Duncan
>> Murdoch knows enough about rgl to figure that one out...
>>
>>  The person at the other end would still need a VRML viewer. Just get
>> them to install R.
>>
>> Barry

Luke Tierney
Chair, Statistics and Actuarial Science
    Actuarial Science
241 Schaeffer Hall                  email:      [hidden email]

Re: Exporting an rgl graph

David Winsemius

On Apr 15, 2010, at 12:34 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> The current issue of JCGS (Vol 18 No 1,
> http://pubs.amstat.org/toc/jcgs/19/1 ) has an editorial on including
> animations, 3D visualizations, and movies in on-line PDF files
> supporting JCGS articles. The online supplements to the editorial
> include examples.  The 3D examples related to the misc3d packages are
> also available in
> http://www.stat.uiowa.edu/~luke/R/misc3d/misc3d-pdf/.  At some point
> the code there will be added to misc3d.  It should be possible to
> adapt these ideas to other objects rendered with rgl.

Very kewl. On a Mac the greyscale plots opened in Adobe Acrobat Reader
v8.2.2 displays properly, but the color version supp_j.pdf looks like
a ménage à trois of three psychedelic sea urchins. I think that Adobe
may need to do some work on their display engine for this to be a
fully cross-platform combination. The color version of the volcano
example is likewise carpeted with spiky artifacts.

(I have not yet tried producing plots de novo with the Mac pdf device.)

--
David.

> luke
>

> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010, baptiste auguie wrote:
>
>> I have seen pdf files with 3D objects embedded in it, using the U3D
>> format,
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_3D
>>
>> but I don't think there's a device for this in R; in fact there may
>> not even exist a third-party post-processing route available at this
>> time to bridge the gap between rgl and this format. It sure would be
>> nice, though.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> baptiste
>>
>> On 15 April 2010 14:12, Barry Rowlingson <[hidden email]
>> > wrote:

>>>  You mean without them having to install R and rgl and run the code
>>> that produces your graphic?
>>>
>>>  I guess you could somehow export a VRML or some other 3d file:
>>>
>>>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRML
>>>
>>>  but I suspect of all the billions of people on the planet only
>>> Duncan
>>> Murdoch knows enough about rgl to figure that one out...
>>>
>>>  The person at the other end would still need a VRML viewer. Just
>>> get
>>> them to install R.
>>>
>>> Barry
>>

> --
> Luke Tierney
> Chair, Statistics and Actuarial Science

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT

Re: Exporting an rgl graph

Gavin Simpson
On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 13:00 -0400, David Winsemius wrote:

> On Apr 15, 2010, at 12:34 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > The current issue of JCGS (Vol 18 No 1,
> > http://pubs.amstat.org/toc/jcgs/19/1 ) has an editorial on including
> > animations, 3D visualizations, and movies in on-line PDF files
> > supporting JCGS articles. The online supplements to the editorial
> > include examples.  The 3D examples related to the misc3d packages are
> > also available in
> > http://www.stat.uiowa.edu/~luke/R/misc3d/misc3d-pdf/.  At some point
> > the code there will be added to misc3d.  It should be possible to
> > adapt these ideas to other objects rendered with rgl.
>
> Very kewl. On a Mac the greyscale plots opened in Adobe Acrobat Reader
> v8.2.2 displays properly, but the color version supp_j.pdf looks like
> a ménage à trois of three psychedelic sea urchins. I think that Adobe
> may need to do some work on their display engine for this to be a
> fully cross-platform combination. The color version of the volcano
> example is likewise carpeted with spiky artifacts.
>
> (I have not yet tried producing plots de novo with the Mac pdf device.)

Have you tried in Acrobat Reader >=9 ? The editorial says you need that
to view the pdfs properly.

%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%
 Dr. Gavin Simpson             [t] +44 (0)20 7679 0522
 ECRC, UCL Geography,          [f] +44 (0)20 7679 0565
 Pearson Building,             [e] gavin.simpsonATNOSPAMucl.ac.uk
 Gower Street, London          [w] http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucfagls/
 UK. WC1E 6BT.                 [w] http://www.freshwaters.org.uk
%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%

Re: Exporting an rgl graph

baptiste auguie-5
On 15 April 2010 18:34,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The current issue of JCGS (Vol 18 No 1,
> http://pubs.amstat.org/toc/jcgs/19/1) has an editorial on including
> animations, 3D visualizations, and movies in on-line PDF files
> supporting JCGS articles. The online supplements to the editorial
> include examples.  The 3D examples related to the misc3d packages are
> also available in
> http://www.stat.uiowa.edu/~luke/R/misc3d/misc3d-pdf/.  At some point
> the code there will be added to misc3d.  It should be possible to
> adapt these ideas to other objects rendered with rgl.
>
> luke
>

> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010, baptiste auguie wrote:
>
>> I have seen pdf files with 3D objects embedded in it, using the U3D
>> format,
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_3D
>>
>> but I don't think there's a device for this in R; in fact there may
>> not even exist a third-party post-processing route available at this
>> time to bridge the gap between rgl and this format. It sure would be
>> nice, though.

Very glad to be proven wrong!

Thanks,

baptiste

Re: Exporting an rgl graph

David Winsemius

On Apr 15, 2010, at 1:52 PM, Gavin Simpson wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 13:00 -0400, David Winsemius wrote:
>> On Apr 15, 2010, at 12:34 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> The current issue of JCGS (Vol 18 No 1,
>>> http://pubs.amstat.org/toc/jcgs/19/1 ) has an editorial on including
>>> animations, 3D visualizations, and movies in on-line PDF files
>>> supporting JCGS articles. The online supplements to the editorial
>>> include examples.  The 3D examples related to the misc3d packages
>>> are
>>> also available in
>>> http://www.stat.uiowa.edu/~luke/R/misc3d/misc3d-pdf/.  At some point
>>> the code there will be added to misc3d.  It should be possible to
>>> adapt these ideas to other objects rendered with rgl.
>>
>> Very kewl. On a Mac the greyscale plots opened in Adobe Acrobat
>> Reader
>> v8.2.2 displays properly, but the color version supp_j.pdf looks like
>> a ménage à trois of three psychedelic sea urchins. I think that Adobe
>> may need to do some work on their display engine for this to be a
>> fully cross-platform combination. The color version of the volcano
>> example is likewise carpeted with spiky artifacts.
>>
>> (I have not yet tried producing plots de novo with the Mac pdf
>> device.)
>>

> Have you tried in Acrobat Reader >=9 ? The editorial says you need
> that
> to view the pdfs properly.

Thank you, that was it. I thought that my version of Acrobat Reader
was current for my OS, but it was not. Acrobat 9.3 for the Mac renders
the plots correctly. Now I get quite lovely orientable images.

> %~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%~%
> Dr. Gavin Simpson             [t] +44 (0)20 7679 0522
> ECRC, UCL Geography,          [f] +44 (0)20 7679 0565-

--
David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT

Re: Exporting an rgl graph

Michael Friendly
[hidden email] wrote:

> The current issue of JCGS (Vol 18 No 1,
> http://pubs.amstat.org/toc/jcgs/19/1) has an editorial on including
> animations, 3D visualizations, and movies in on-line PDF files
> supporting JCGS articles. The online supplements to the editorial
> include examples.  The 3D examples related to the misc3d packages are
> also available in
> http://www.stat.uiowa.edu/~luke/R/misc3d/misc3d-pdf/.  At some point
> the code there will be added to misc3d.  It should be possible to
> adapt these ideas to other objects rendered with rgl.
>
> luke

Luke,
Your misc3d-pdf example is very instructive and the .tex file shows how
to embed in LaTeX.  Thanks! (JCGS 19(1) is actually one of the nicest
issues in a long time.)
Of the two approaches you
describe, the Asymptote route seems easier and more capable than the
MeshLab one.

It would be particularly useful to have this capability available for
rgl.  Any plans for this?

One note:  With Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.3.1, the U3D and PRC images display
on screen, but do not print (replaced by the filename).  Is this your
experience too?

-Michael

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept.

Re: Exporting an rgl graph

Greg Snow-2
The easiest approach may be to just install R onto a USB drive (flash/thumb/...) then when you go to your coworkers computer just run R from the USB drive and show the rgl plot.  I think there is also a tool to create an animation from rgl, it is not interactive, but you could e-mail a movie file that they could play to see the plot from many angles.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center

Re: Exporting an rgl graph

cgenolin
Thanks a lot
Both Asymptote and  MeshLab work fine. Thanks for this article, Luke.
On my particular case, I need to export lines (1D object in a 3D space)
and not surfaces (2D objects). Is it possible to draw lines with misc3d ?

Christophe Genolini

Luke Tierney a écrit :

>   The current issue of JCGS (Vol 18 No 1,
> http://pubs.amstat.org/toc/jcgs/19/1) has an editorial on including
> animations, 3D visualizations, and movies in on-line PDF files
> supporting JCGS articles. The online supplements to the editorial
> include examples.  The 3D examples related to the misc3d packages are
> also available in
> http://www.stat.uiowa.edu/~luke/R/misc3d/misc3d-pdf/
> <http://www.stat.uiowa.edu/%7Eluke/R/misc3d/misc3d-pdf/>.  At some point
> the code there will be added to misc3d.  It should be possible to
> adapt these ideas to other objects rendered with rgl.
>
> luke

Re: Exporting an rgl graph

Luke Tierney
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, Michael Friendly wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> The current issue of JCGS (Vol 18 No 1,
>> http://pubs.amstat.org/toc/jcgs/19/1) has an editorial on including
>> animations, 3D visualizations, and movies in on-line PDF files
>> supporting JCGS articles. The online supplements to the editorial
>> include examples.  The 3D examples related to the misc3d packages are
>> also available in
>> http://www.stat.uiowa.edu/~luke/R/misc3d/misc3d-pdf/.  At some point
>> the code there will be added to misc3d.  It should be possible to
>> adapt these ideas to other objects rendered with rgl.
>>
>> luke
>
> Luke,
> Your misc3d-pdf example is very instructive and the .tex file shows how
> to embed in LaTeX.  Thanks! (JCGS 19(1) is actually one of the nicest
> issues in a long time.)
> Of the two approaches you
> describe, the Asymptote route seems easier and more capable than the
> MeshLab one.

The Asymptote/PRC route was the only one I could find (with a limited
amoutn of time and effort I could put in) that would support both
color and transparency.  The downside is that PRC suport requires very
new Adobe readers and seems to result in huge files. I know the U3D
format support color but MeshLab doesn't seem to put color into its
U3D exports.  I forget whether U3D supports transparency. Someone with
the energy and motivation to do so can read the binary file format
specs and write these file formats directly usign alltheir
cababilities, but I wasn't up to doing that at the time.

> It would be particularly useful to have this capability available for rgl.
> Any plans for this?

Not on my part.  misc3d scenes are very simple -- just triangular mesh
objects with optional color or transparency. rgl handles much richer
scenes so figuring out how to translate such scenes to one of the
binary formats would be a lot more work. On the other hand it may
already have been done in the OpenGL community.

> One note:  With Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.3.1, the U3D and PRC images display
> on screen, but do not print (replaced by the filename).  Is this your
> experience too?

I believe so.  There may well be a way of including a static image in
the LaTeX that would be used by printing and readers that don't
understand the embedded formats, but I haven't had the chance to check
the movie15 documentation for that.

luke

--
Luke Tierney
Chair, Statistics and Actuarial Science
    Actuarial Science
241 Schaeffer Hall                  email:      [hidden email]

Re: Exporting an rgl graph

Duncan Murdoch-2
On 20/04/2010 10:43 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, Michael Friendly wrote:
>
> > [hidden email] wrote:
> >> The current issue of JCGS (Vol 18 No 1,
> >> http://pubs.amstat.org/toc/jcgs/19/1) has an editorial on including
> >> animations, 3D visualizations, and movies in on-line PDF files
> >> supporting JCGS articles. The online supplements to the editorial
> >> include examples.  The 3D examples related to the misc3d packages are
> >> also available in
> >> http://www.stat.uiowa.edu/~luke/R/misc3d/misc3d-pdf/.  At some point
> >> the code there will be added to misc3d.  It should be possible to
> >> adapt these ideas to other objects rendered with rgl.
> >>
> >> luke
> >
> > Luke,
> > Your misc3d-pdf example is very instructive and the .tex file shows how
> > to embed in LaTeX.  Thanks! (JCGS 19(1) is actually one of the nicest
> > issues in a long time.)
> > Of the two approaches you
> > describe, the Asymptote route seems easier and more capable than the
> > MeshLab one.
>
> The Asymptote/PRC route was the only one I could find (with a limited
> amoutn of time and effort I could put in) that would support both
> color and transparency.  The downside is that PRC suport requires very
> new Adobe readers and seems to result in huge files. I know the U3D
> format support color but MeshLab doesn't seem to put color into its
> U3D exports.  I forget whether U3D supports transparency. Someone with
> the energy and motivation to do so can read the binary file format
> specs and write these file formats directly usign alltheir
> cababilities, but I wasn't up to doing that at the time.
>
> > It would be particularly useful to have this capability available for rgl.
> > Any plans for this?
>
> Not on my part.  misc3d scenes are very simple -- just triangular mesh
> objects with optional color or transparency. rgl handles much richer
> scenes so figuring out how to translate such scenes to one of the
> binary formats would be a lot more work. On the other hand it may
> already have been done in the OpenGL community.

It's on my wish list, but I'm spending too much time fighting to get my
email working to actually work on anything.

The way the rgl.postcript conversion works (using the gl2ps library) is
to redirect OpenGL calls into calls to generate Postscript.  Working at
this level seems like the right approach, but I don't know if anyone has
done it for these newer formats.

Duncan

> > One note:  With Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.3.1, the U3D and PRC images display
> > on screen, but do not print (replaced by the filename).  Is this your
> > experience too?
>
> I believe so.  There may well be a way of including a static image in
> the LaTeX that would be used by printing and readers that don't
> understand the embedded formats, but I haven't had the chance to check
> the movie15 documentation for that.
>
> luke
>

> > -Michael

Re: Exporting an rgl graph

cgenolin
I need to use the function saveTriangleAsASY in my package. Does it allready exist in a package or may I unclude it ?

Christophe