Quantcast

Extract subset of rows

John Haart
Hi,

I have two matrices with a common field = species what i want to do is make a matrix that combines the data held in the other two based on the species name.

I.e ( simple example)

Matrix 1 - monocot

SPECIES V1

A 2
B 3
C 4
D 5

Matrix 2 - PCAresults

SPECIES V2

A 0.2
B 0.3
C 4.1
D 3.2

matrix 3 - What i want

SPECIES V1 V2

A 2 0.2
B 3 0.3
C 4 4.1
D 5 3.2

my attempt has been this

test <-monocot[which(monocot$SPECIES%in%PCAresults$SPECIES),]

But this returns matrix with only those found in each but doesn't "import" the data from PCAresults

Any help would be greatly appreciated

John

Re: Extract subset of rows

John Haart
Hi all,

Sorry i forgot to mention there a species present in one matrix not in the other hence the problem i.e matrix 1 may have species E which isnt present in matrix 2 and matrix 2 may have species F not present in matrix 1.

Sorry for the lack of clarification in the original post!

John
On 17 Dec 2010, at 15:19, John Haart wrote:

[...]

Steve Lianoglou-6

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 10:19 AM, John Haart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two matrices with a common field = species what i want to do is make a matrix that combines the data held in the other two based on the species name.

Look at the merge function: ?merge

-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou

Re: Extract subset of rows

jthetzel
Hi John,

I'd recommend looking into ?merge.

Jeremy

Jeremy T. Hetzel
Boston University
Jeremy T. Hetzel
Boston University

Re: Extract subset of rows

Steve Lianoglou-6

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 10:22 AM, John Haart <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry i forgot to mention there a species present in one matrix not in the other hence the problem i.e matrix 1 may have species E which isnt present in matrix 2 and matrix 2 may have species F not present in matrix 1.
>
> Sorry for the lack of clarification in the original post!

This still isn't a problem, you can choose to include the results that
appear in one data.frame vs. the other by playing with the all, all.x,
all.y parameters in the merge function ...

-steve

> John
> On 17 Dec 2010, at 15:19, John Haart wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have two matrices with a common field = species what i want to do is make a matrix that combines the data held in the other two based on the species name.
>
> I.e ( simple example)
>
> Matrix 1 - monocot
>
> SPECIES V1
>
> A                       2
> B                       3
> C                       4
> D                       5
>
> Matrix 2 - PCAresults
>
> SPECIES V2
>
> A                       0.2
> B                       0.3
> C                       4.1
> D                       3.2
>
> matrix 3 - What i want
>
> SPECIES V1      V2
>
> A                       2       0.2
> B                       3       0.3
> C                       4       4.1
> D                       5       3.2
>

> my attempt has been this
>
> test <-monocot[which(monocot$SPECIES%in%PCAresults$SPECIES),]
>
> But this returns matrix with only those found in each but doesn't "import" the data from PCAresults
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated
>
> John

Steve Lianoglou