FW: Library update from version

Girit
Hello,

                I recently installed version 3.0.1 of R on to a computer. I
have a working installation for a Statconn application using R version
2.15.0 on another computer. I have many libraries under this old
installation. Can I just copy them into the new library from the old, or do
I install each one of them under the new R? Also how can I get a list of
differences in two libraries so that I can use this list to update the new
one?

                Thank you.

Cem

Re: FW: Library update from version

Steve Lianoglou-2
Hi,

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Cem Girit <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>

>                 I recently installed version 3.0.1 of R on to a computer. I
> have a working installation for a Statconn application using R version
> 2.15.0 on another computer. I have many libraries under this old
> installation. Can I just copy them into the new library from the old, or do
> I install each one of them under the new R?

No, you shouldn't do that.

> Also how can I get a list of
> differences in two libraries so that I can use this list to update the new
> one?

A bit of googling could have provided several answers.

This post in particular has a few answers from some people who know
what they're doing w/ R, so probably a good place to start:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1401904/painless-way-to-install-a-new-version-of-r-on-windows

HTH,
-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou
Computational Biologist

Re: FW: Library update from version

djmuseR
In this case the OP probably does need to reinstall contributed
packages since going from 2.15.x to 3.0.y entails a major version
change in R.

Dennis

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Steve Lianoglou

> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Cem Girit <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>>                 I recently installed version 3.0.1 of R on to a computer. I
>> have a working installation for a Statconn application using R version
>> 2.15.0 on another computer. I have many libraries under this old
>> installation. Can I just copy them into the new library from the old, or do
>> I install each one of them under the new R?
>
> No, you shouldn't do that.
>
>> Also how can I get a list of
>> differences in two libraries so that I can use this list to update the new
>> one?
>
> A bit of googling could have provided several answers.
>
> This post in particular has a few answers from some people who know
> what they're doing w/ R, so probably a good place to start:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1401904/painless-way-to-install-a-new-version-of-r-on-windows
>
> HTH,
> -steve
>
> --
> Steve Lianoglou
> Computational Biologist
> Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
> Genentech

Re: FW: Library update from version

Ista Zahn
On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Steve Lianoglou

> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Cem Girit <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>>                 I recently installed version 3.0.1 of R on to a computer. I
>> have a working installation for a Statconn application using R version
>> 2.15.0 on another computer. I have many libraries under this old
>> installation. Can I just copy them into the new library from the old, or do
>> I install each one of them under the new R?
>
> No, you shouldn't do that.

Really? Why not? Note that the Windows upgrade FAQ
(http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#What_0027s-the-best-way-to-upgrade_003f)
says to do exactly that.

Best,
Ista

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 12:44 PM, Ista Zahn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 2:49 PM, Steve Lianoglou
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Cem Girit <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>

>>>                 I recently installed version 3.0.1 of R on to a computer. I
>>> have a working installation for a Statconn application using R version
>>> 2.15.0 on another computer. I have many libraries under this old
>>> installation. Can I just copy them into the new library from the old, or do
>>> I install each one of them under the new R?
>>
>> No, you shouldn't do that.
>
> Really? Why not?

Because it has been my experience that people *just* do that (ie. the
*just* copy the libraries, as the OP asked).

But as you correctly point out:

> Note that the Windows upgrade FAQ
> (http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#What_0027s-the-best-way-to-upgrade_003f)
> says to do exactly that.

There is a way to copy the old package and then ensure that they are
updated to the versions that build correctly on the newest version of
R.

-steve