Failure when updating package nlme

CG Pettersson
Hello all,

R2.2.1, W2k

I posted a similar question last week after having problem with a group
update (using update.packages()), without getting any answer.

Now I have updated all packages separately, and found that the problem
comes from nlme:

Everything comes home, the md5 checksums are ok, but then the old version
can´t be removed from my computer, leaving a "nlme" library with only the
"libs" sublibrary left.

As my R doesn´t start without nlme, I am stuck here. R doesn´t start with
only the "libs" left and doesn´t start without nlme. What´s going on?

It´s no big crisis as I have the nlme version from the R installation
file, but I try to keep my installation as updated as possible, so it´s
irritating. :)

/CG

--
CG Pettersson, MSci, PhD Stud.
Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU)

Re: Failure when updating package nlme

Uwe Ligges
CG Pettersson wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> R2.2.1, W2k
>
> I posted a similar question last week after having problem with a group
> update (using update.packages()), without getting any answer.
>
> Now I have updated all packages separately, and found that the problem
> comes from nlme:
>
> Everything comes home, the md5 checksums are ok, but then the old version
> can´t be removed from my computer, leaving a "nlme" library with only the
> "libs" sublibrary left.
>
> As my R doesn´t start without nlme, I am stuck here. R doesn´t start with
> only the "libs" left and doesn´t start without nlme. What´s going on?
>
> It´s no big crisis as I have the nlme version from the R installation
> file, but I try to keep my installation as updated as possible, so it´s
> irritating. :)

You cannot update a package if it is loaded, because Windows locks the dll.
Hence start R without loading nlme (that it is loaded might be because
you mentioned it in some Startup file such as .Rprofile or a saved
Workspace image loads the package for some reason - don't know whether
this could happen for nlme).
Hence RGui --vanilla might be right for you. Then update.packages().

Uwe Ligges