Fixed plot height question

Mike Schaffer
I've tried many things, so it's time to call on the gurus.  I'm
trying to make a plot that will conform to the width of the plot
device but have a fixed height (say one inch regardless of the plot
device height setting -- unless obviously it's less than the plot
device).

Is this possible?

Additionally, I'd like to be able to plot something immediately after
this plot and have it right below.  Would this require a par(mfrow=c
()) command? Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Re: Fixed plot height question

Prof Brian Ripley
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Mike Schaffer wrote:

> I've tried many things, so it's time to call on the gurus.  I'm
> trying to make a plot that will conform to the width of the plot
> device but have a fixed height (say one inch regardless of the plot
> device height setting -- unless obviously it's less than the plot
> device).
>
> Is this possible?

Yes.  Set par(pin=c(par("pin")[1], 1)).

Warning: you may not have meant the plot height, rather the figure height.
See R-Intro for the differences.

> Additionally, I'd like to be able to plot something immediately after
> this plot and have it right below.  Would this require a par(mfrow=c
> ()) command? Can anyone help?

Using par(plt=) will do this for you.  Or look into grid, layout or
split.screen.