Fwd: Wanted to learn R Language

SAS_learner
Hello all ,

I am a SAS user for a while and wanted to learn to program in R . My
biggest hurdle to start, is to get the data (I work in clinical domain
) that too inside VPN secured access. The only way I can learn during
my work time is create my own data frames and create programs that can
be used for data ( either SDTM or AdAM data ) validation or checking
Table counts . For this I need to imitate the clinical data structure
. If there is any place or a package that help to start. I have couple
of dummy SAS datasets in my work area , but not sure how can I can
access them . Can anybody help me . Thanks ahead .

Re: Fwd: Wanted to learn R Language

Jim Lemon-4
Hi SAS_learner,
Have a look at the read.xport function in the foreign package.

Jim

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 7:50 AM, SAS_learner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all ,
>
> I am a SAS user for a while and wanted to learn to program in R . My
> biggest hurdle to start, is to get the data (I work in clinical domain
> ) that too inside VPN secured access. The only way I can learn during
> my work time is create my own data frames and create programs that can
> be used for data ( either SDTM or AdAM data ) validation or checking
> Table counts . For this I need to imitate the clinical data structure
> . If there is any place or a package that help to start. I have couple
> of dummy SAS datasets in my work area , but not sure how can I can
> access them . Can anybody help me . Thanks ahead .

Re: Fwd: Wanted to learn R Language

MacQueen, Don
And if you have trouble with read.export(), then another option is to use SAS to export the data to a text file, then load it into R using R's read.table() function.

I would suggest that the SAS export be to a tab-delimited file, with column headers, and no quotes around text fields, but there are other options.

Pay careful attention to the stringsAsFactors argument of read.table, and I would suggest setting it to FALSE at first, at least until you learn enough about factors in R to know when to use them, and when not.

-Don

--
Don MacQueen
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

On 11/30/17, 1:13 PM, "R-help on behalf of Jim Lemon" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    Hi SAS_learner,
    Have a look at the read.xport function in the foreign package.

    Jim

    On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 7:50 AM, SAS_learner <[hidden email]> wrote:
    > Hello all ,
    >
    > I am a SAS user for a while and wanted to learn to program in R . My
    > biggest hurdle to start, is to get the data (I work in clinical domain
    > ) that too inside VPN secured access. The only way I can learn during
    > my work time is create my own data frames and create programs that can
    > be used for data ( either SDTM or AdAM data ) validation or checking
    > Table counts . For this I need to imitate the clinical data structure
    > . If there is any place or a package that help to start. I have couple
    > of dummy SAS datasets in my work area , but not sure how can I can
    > access them . Can anybody help me . Thanks ahead .

Re: Fwd: Wanted to learn R Language

hadley wickham
Or try haven::read_xpt(): http://haven.tidyverse.org/reference/read_xpt.html

Hadley