Quantcast

Gower Similarity Coefficient

Timothy Rye
I'm interested in clustering my data using the Gower Similarity Coefficient,
and I was wondering if R is capable of using that metric

Timothy Rye

Re: Gower Similarity Coefficient

Chuck Cleland
Timothy Rye wrote:
> I'm interested in clustering my data using the Gower Similarity Coefficient,
> and I was wondering if R is capable of using that metric
>
> Timothy Rye

RSiteSearch("Gower") points to a number of relevant messages in the
archives.  It also reveals gdist() in the mvpart package, vegdist() in
the vegan package, and dist.binary() in the ade4 package, which may do
what you want.

Chuck Cleland, Ph.D.
NDRI, Inc.
71 West 23rd Street, 8th floor
New York, NY 10010
tel: (212) 845-4495 (Tu, Th)
tel: (732) 512-0171 (M, W, F)
fax: (917) 438-0894

Re: Gower Similarity Coefficient

Martin Maechler

    Chuck> Timothy Rye wrote:
    >> I'm interested in clustering my data using the Gower
    >> Similarity Coefficient, and I was wondering if R is
    >> capable of using that metric
    >>
    >> Timothy Rye

    Chuck> RSiteSearch("Gower") points to a number of relevant
    Chuck> messages in the archives.  It also reveals gdist() in
    Chuck> the mvpart package, vegdist() in the vegan package,
    Chuck> and dist.binary() in the ade4 package, which may do
    Chuck> what you want.

The daisy() function from the package "cluster"
(which is *recommended* hence part of every complete R installation)
is also based on Gower's (dis)similarity coefficient.

So you don't need to install a new package
[But I need to add the word 'Gower' to a better place on
 daisy()'s help page ...]

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich.