Greek characters in R studio

kostas zogopoulos
How do you read a csv file that contains greek characters as part of the
header (i.e. α, β etc) in R studio?
 Thanks in advance!

Re: Greek characters in R studio

Ivan Krylov
On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 18:41:16 +0300
kostas zogopoulos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How do you read a csv file that contains greek characters as part of
> the header (i.e. α, β etc) in R studio?

Determine the character encoding used in the file (is it UTF-8,
ISO8859-7 or something else?) and pass it as fileEncoding="..."
parameter to read.csv() function.

--
Best regards,
Ivan

Re: Greek characters in R studio

barry rowlingson
What have you tried? read.table works perfectly for me with no language or
encoding arguments. Here's a text file at the Linux command line:

$ cat greek.csv
α, β
1,2
3,4

I just have to tell it to use comma separators and there is a header line.
Here's R:

> read.table("./greek.csv",sep=",",head=TRUE)
  α β
1 1 2
2 3 4

and I can get the columns in the usual way:

> d[["α"]]
[1] 1 3
> d$α
[1] 1 3

But maybe this doesn't work for you. Did you try anything? What happened?