Guy Yollin's apply.paramset() on Windows remark and related developments

Guy Yollin's apply.paramset() on Windows remark and related developments

Jersey Fanatic
Hi everyone,

Guy Yollin states in his Luxor slides the following:
"As of 2013-08-12, apply.paramset does not appear to run properly in
parallel on
Windows. To run on a Windows platform, load the doParallel package but do
not call
the registerDoParallel function; apply.paramset will then be able to run in
sequential
rather than parallel mode."

Is there any news on this topic, I cannot seem to find any info about
developments on this topic, is it fixed, or was another way found to do
parallel computing for apply.paramset()?

Note: I am running RStudio on Windows 7. apply.paramset() seems to work
when registerDoParallel() is not called, but the computing time is taking
too long for each combination of parameters.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks! :)

Koji Nakata

Re: Guy Yollin's apply.paramset() on Windows remark and related developments

Erol Biceroglu-2
Hi,

To my knowledge, you (still) have to use a Unix based OS to run
apply.paramset in parallel.  It's possible to install Linux along side your
Windows OS without affecting anything.  I *suspect* the main issue is that
in an OS like Linux, you can "fork" (parallel processes share memory)
whereas in Windows you can't (each worker needs its own copy).

The bonus is, you'll have more RAM available to you if you were to run a
Linux OS, which can come in handy running apply.paramset.

Erol Biceroglu

*[hidden email]
<[hidden email]>416-275-7970*

On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 12:22 PM, Jersey Fanatic <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Guy Yollin states in his Luxor slides the following:
> "As of 2013-08-12, apply.paramset does not appear to run properly in
> parallel on
> Windows. To run on a Windows platform, load the doParallel package but do
> not call
> the registerDoParallel function; apply.paramset will then be able to run in
> sequential
> rather than parallel mode."
>
> Is there any news on this topic, I cannot seem to find any info about
> developments on this topic, is it fixed, or was another way found to do
> parallel computing for apply.paramset()?
>
> Note: I am running RStudio on Windows 7. apply.paramset() seems to work
> when registerDoParallel() is not called, but the computing time is taking
> too long for each combination of parameters.
>
> Any help is appreciated. Thanks! :)
>
> Koji Nakata

> should go.

Re: Guy Yollin's apply.paramset() on Windows remark and related developments

Joshua Ulrich
On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 11:22 AM, Jersey Fanatic
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Guy Yollin states in his Luxor slides the following:
> "As of 2013-08-12, apply.paramset does not appear to run properly in
> parallel on
> Windows. To run on a Windows platform, load the doParallel package but do
> not call
> the registerDoParallel function; apply.paramset will then be able to run in
> sequential
> rather than parallel mode."
>
> Is there any news on this topic, I cannot seem to find any info about
> developments on this topic, is it fixed, or was another way found to do
> parallel computing for apply.paramset()?

No, it's not fixed, as the main package authors try to avoid using
Windows whenever possible.  Someone with interest and inclination
would need to submit patches to allow apply.paramset to work with
doParallel on Windows.

That said, others have had success running in parallel on Windows
using the doRedis backend.  For those interested/inclined, that may be
a good place to start the attempt to get apply.paramset working with
doParallel on Windows.

> Note: I am running RStudio on Windows 7. apply.paramset() seems to work
> when registerDoParallel() is not called, but the computing time is taking
> too long for each combination of parameters.
>
> Any help is appreciated. Thanks! :)
>
> Koji Nakata

Joshua Ulrich  |  about.me/joshuaulrich
FOSS Trading  |  www.fosstrading.com