Quantcast

HOW to provide a CITATION file?

Charles Annis, P.E.
Greetings, R-ians:

I am sure I am missing something obvious.

How do I provide a CITATION file for my home-brew package, so that it will
be packaged using

R CMD build --binary myPackage?

I have placed a CITATION file in the myPackage directory along with the
DESCRIPTION file, but it is ignored.

Thanks for your guidance.

Charles Annis, P.E.

[hidden email]
phone: 561-352-9699
eFax:  614-455-3265
http://www.StatisticalEngineering.com

Re: HOW to provide a CITATION file?

Henrik Bengtsson
See 'Writing R Extensions' via help.start() and then search for CITATION.

My $.02 /Henrik

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Charles Annis, P.E.
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings, R-ians:
>
> I am sure I am missing something obvious.
>
> How do I provide a CITATION file for my home-brew package, so that it will
> be packaged using
>
> R CMD build --binary myPackage?
>
> I have placed a CITATION file in the myPackage directory along with the
> DESCRIPTION file, but it is ignored.
>
> Thanks for your guidance.
>

> Charles Annis, P.E.
>
> [hidden email]
> phone: 561-352-9699
> eFax:  614-455-3265
> http://www.StatisticalEngineering.com

Re: HOW to provide a CITATION file?

Spencer Graves
      "Writing R Extensions" is no longer available via "help.start()",
at least not in the standard Windows install since R 2.7.2.  If there is
a way to get it to work again like it used to, I'd like to know.  The
only way I know to get it is to go to "www.r-project.org" -> Manuals ->
"Writing R Extensions".

      From there, if I want to make a local copy, I must avoid the
obvious File -> "Save Page As", because that gives me HTML.  Instead,
there is a "Save a copy" button in the upper left of the subwindow
containing "R-exts.pdf", which I must press to get that particular
document.

      Best Wishes,
      Spencer

Henrik Bengtsson wrote:

> See 'Writing R Extensions' via help.start() and then search for CITATION.
>
> My $.02 /Henrik
>
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Charles Annis, P.E.
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Greetings, R-ians:
>>
>> I am sure I am missing something obvious.
>>
>> How do I provide a CITATION file for my home-brew package, so that it will
>> be packaged using
>>
>> R CMD build --binary myPackage?
>>
>> I have placed a CITATION file in the myPackage directory along with the
>> DESCRIPTION file, but it is ignored.
>>
>> Thanks for your guidance.
>>

>> Charles Annis, P.E.
>>
>> [hidden email]
>> phone: 561-352-9699
>> eFax:  614-455-3265
>> http://www.StatisticalEngineering.com

Re: HOW to provide a CITATION file?

Henrik Bengtsson
Are you referring to the update that you now reach 'R: Search
Engine'(*) when you call help.start() whereas before you got to the
'Statistical Data Analysis' main menu from where 'Writing R
Extensions' is available (in HTML format)?   You can reach the latter
from the former by clicking on the up-arrow icon.  [Suggestion to
R-core: Maybe clicking on the R-logo could also bring you to the main
menu.].

/Henrik

(*) At least with R v2.8.0 and Firefox 3.0

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Spencer Graves <[hidden email]> wrote:

>     "Writing R Extensions" is no longer available via "help.start()", at
> least not in the standard Windows install since R 2.7.2.  If there is a way
> to get it to work again like it used to, I'd like to know.  The only way I
> know to get it is to go to "www.r-project.org" -> Manuals -> "Writing R
> Extensions".
>     From there, if I want to make a local copy, I must avoid the obvious
> File -> "Save Page As", because that gives me HTML.  Instead, there is a
> "Save a copy" button in the upper left of the subwindow containing
> "R-exts.pdf", which I must press to get that particular document.
>     Best Wishes,
>     Spencer
>
> Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
>>
>> See 'Writing R Extensions' via help.start() and then search for CITATION.
>>
>> My $.02 /Henrik
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Charles Annis, P.E.
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Greetings, R-ians:
>>>
>>> I am sure I am missing something obvious.
>>>
>>> How do I provide a CITATION file for my home-brew package, so that it
>>> will
>>> be packaged using
>>>
>>> R CMD build --binary myPackage?
>>>
>>> I have placed a CITATION file in the myPackage directory along with the
>>> DESCRIPTION file, but it is ignored.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your guidance.
>>>

>>> Charles Annis, P.E.
>>>
>>> [hidden email]
>>> phone: 561-352-9699
>>> eFax:  614-455-3265
>>> http://www.StatisticalEngineering.com

Re: HOW to provide a CITATION file?

Spencer Graves
Dear Henrik:

<in line>

Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
> Are you referring to the update that you now reach 'R: Search
> Engine'(*) when you call help.start() whereas before you got to the
> 'Statistical Data Analysis' main menu from where 'Writing R
> Extensions' is available (in HTML format)?
      Correct.
> You can reach the latter
> from the former by clicking on the up-arrow icon.
      Thanks.  I had not previously seen that "up-arrow icon".

      Best Wishes,
      Spencer

> [Suggestion to
> R-core: Maybe clicking on the R-logo could also bring you to the main
> menu.].
>
> /Henrik
>
> (*) At least with R v2.8.0 and Firefox 3.0
>
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Spencer Graves <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>     "Writing R Extensions" is no longer available via "help.start()", at
>> least not in the standard Windows install since R 2.7.2.  If there is a way
>> to get it to work again like it used to, I'd like to know.  The only way I
>> know to get it is to go to "www.r-project.org" -> Manuals -> "Writing R
>> Extensions".
>>     From there, if I want to make a local copy, I must avoid the obvious
>> File -> "Save Page As", because that gives me HTML.  Instead, there is a
>> "Save a copy" button in the upper left of the subwindow containing
>> "R-exts.pdf", which I must press to get that particular document.
>>     Best Wishes,
>>     Spencer
>>
>> Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
>>
>>> See 'Writing R Extensions' via help.start() and then search for CITATION.
>>>
>>> My $.02 /Henrik

Re: HOW to provide a CITATION file?

Prof Brian Ripley
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008, Spencer Graves wrote:

>     "Writing R Extensions" is no longer available via "help.start()", at
> least not in the standard Windows install since R 2.7.2.  If there is a way
> to get it to work again like it used to, I'd like to know.  The only way I

Are you getting the search page?  Hit the 'Up' arrow icon.
Or use help.search(searchEngine=TRUE) .

Why have you (not anyone else) reported this over two releases?

> know to get it is to go to "www.r-project.org" -> Manuals -> "Writing R
> Extensions".
>     From there, if I want to make a local copy, I must avoid the obvious
> File -> "Save Page As", because that gives me HTML.  Instead, there is a
> "Save a copy" button in the upper left of the subwindow containing
> "R-exts.pdf", which I must press to get that particular document.
>     Best Wishes,
>     Spencer
>
> Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
>> See 'Writing R Extensions' via help.start() and then search for CITATION.
>>
>> My $.02 /Henrik
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Charles Annis, P.E.
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings, R-ians:
>>>
>>> I am sure I am missing something obvious.
>>>
>>> How do I provide a CITATION file for my home-brew package, so that it will
>>> be packaged using
>>>
>>> R CMD build --binary myPackage?
>>>
>>> I have placed a CITATION file in the myPackage directory along with the
>>> DESCRIPTION file, but it is ignored.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your guidance.
>>>

>>> Charles Annis, P.E.
>>>
>>> [hidden email]
>>> phone: 561-352-9699
>>> eFax:  614-455-3265
>>> http://www.StatisticalEngineering.com

Re: HOW to provide a CITATION file?

Charles Annis, P.E.
Many thanks to Henrik and Spencer, Professor Ripley, and others.

The trick that I had missed (found in 'Writing R Extensions') is that the
CITATION file must be located in the 'inst' subdirectory of the package
sources.

Again, my gratitude to all.