Help in Plotting in "fArma" Package

Moyukh Laha
Hello,
        I am new to R and for some of my research work I am using 'fArma'
package to estimate the Hurst parameter of a time series.
        When I am ding the following command :
                                     rsFit(data, doplot = TRUE)
I am getting the R/S plot for that time series with default plot title,
font size. However, I want to  change the axis size, font size etc of this
plot, which I am unable to do as there is no formal argument here. Can
anyone suggest something about this? How can I change the font size, axis
size etc here?
Thanks.

Re: Help in Plotting in "fArma" Package

David Winsemius
The documentation say that additional arguments will be passed. I suspect this will be a base graphics plot. You should look at the code of plot.rsfit to determine which arguments get processed.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 25, 2018, at 10:30 AM, Moyukh Laha <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>        I am new to R and for some of my research work I am using 'fArma'
> package to estimate the Hurst parameter of a time series.
>        When I am ding the following command :
>                                     rsFit(data, doplot = TRUE)
> I am getting the R/S plot for that time series with default plot title,
> font size. However, I want to  change the axis size, font size etc of this
> plot, which I am unable to do as there is no formal argument here. Can
> anyone suggest something about this? How can I change the font size, axis
> size etc here?
> Thanks.

Re: Help in Plotting in "fArma" Package

MacQueen, Don
What Dave said, plus here's a hint. Try this example (which uses base graphics):

plot(1:5)
plot(1:5, cex.lab=2)

Then look at the help page for par
   help('par')
or
   ?par
to search for other graphics parameters (base graphics) you can use to change various things.

Success will depend, as Dave indicated, on how the package author handled the plotting options in rsFit().

-Don

--
Don MacQueen
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

On 1/25/18, 5:56 PM, "R-help on behalf of David Winsemius" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    The documentation say that additional arguments will be passed. I suspect this will be a base graphics plot. You should look at the code of plot.rsfit to determine which arguments get processed.

    Sent from my iPhone

    > On Jan 25, 2018, at 10:30 AM, Moyukh Laha <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >
    > Hello,
    >        I am new to R and for some of my research work I am using 'fArma'
    > package to estimate the Hurst parameter of a time series.
    >        When I am ding the following command :
    >                                     rsFit(data, doplot = TRUE)
    > I am getting the R/S plot for that time series with default plot title,
    > font size. However, I want to  change the axis size, font size etc of this
    > plot, which I am unable to do as there is no formal argument here. Can
    > anyone suggest something about this? How can I change the font size, axis
    > size etc here?
    > Thanks.

Re: Help in Plotting in "fArma" Package

David Winsemius

> On Jan 26, 2018, at 9:51 AM, MacQueen, Don <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What Dave said, plus here's a hint. Try this example (which uses base graphics):
>
> plot(1:5)
> plot(1:5, cex.lab=2)
>
> Then look at the help page for par
>   help('par')
> or
>   ?par
> to search for other graphics parameters (base graphics) you can use to change various things.
>
> Success will depend, as Dave indicated, on how the package author handled the plotting options in rsFit().

Actually it's an S4 method:

showMethods("show", classes="fHURST", includeDefs=TRUE)
Function: show (package methods)
object="fHURST"
function (object)
{
    x = object
    doplot = TRUE
    cat("\nTitle:\n ", x@title, "\n", sep = "")
    cat("\nCall:\n ")
    cat(paste(deparse(x@call), sep = "\n", collapse = "\n"),
        "\n", sep = "")
... snipped

IAnd not easily susceptible to throwing base graphics parameters at ti since it's all hard-coded. I've suggested to the OP that hacking the show method is an accessible option.

--
David.

> -Don
>
> --
> Don MacQueen
> Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
> 7000 East Ave., L-627
> Livermore, CA 94550
> 925-423-1062
> Lab cell 925-724-7509
>

> On 1/25/18, 5:56 PM, "R-help on behalf of David Winsemius" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>    The documentation say that additional arguments will be passed. I suspect this will be a base graphics plot. You should look at the code of plot.rsfit to determine which arguments get processed.
>
>    Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jan 25, 2018, at 10:30 AM, Moyukh Laha <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>       I am new to R and for some of my research work I am using 'fArma'
>> package to estimate the Hurst parameter of a time series.
>>       When I am ding the following command :
>>                                    rsFit(data, doplot = TRUE)
>> I am getting the R/S plot for that time series with default plot title,
>> font size. However, I want to  change the axis size, font size etc of this
>> plot, which I am unable to do as there is no formal argument here. Can
>> anyone suggest something about this? How can I change the font size, axis
>> size etc here?
>> Thanks.
>>
>>   [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

>    and provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA

Re: Help in Plotting in "fArma" Package

Moyukh Laha