Help to find correlation.

Anusha Aiyaloo kannan (RIT Student)

Respected Sir,

I am trying to import excel file into R, but I need to truncate some columns from the original file.

 How to delete unwanted columns when I import data from excel file.

How to use cor.test for the data when I want the output rowwise.

How to do grouping and use cor.test on that data

I need some help regarding how to calculate the correlation.
I don't know whether you understood my question, but I need help.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Help to find correlation.

Hank Stevens
Hi,
See help files for read.csv for input.
See help files for cor.test
dat <- read.csv("whatever-your-file-is", other info...)

# Generate an upper triangular  matrix of Pearson product moment
correlation coefficients
r.s <- matrix(NA, nr=dim(dat)[2], nc=dim(dat)[2])
rownames(r.s) <- names(dat)
colnames(r.s) <- names(dat)
for(i in 1:(dim(dat)[2]-1)) {
   for(j in i:dim(dat)[2]) r.s[i,j] <- {cor.test(dat[,i], dat[,j])
$p.value}}
r.s

# Generate an upper triangular  matrix of P values of the r's
p.s <- matrix(NA, nr=dim(dat)[2], nc=dim(dat)[2])
rownames(p.s) <- names(dat)
colnames(p.s) <- names(dat)
for(i in 1:(dim(dat)[2]-1)) {
   for(j in i:dim(dat)[2]) p.s[i,j] <- {cor.test(dat[,i], dat[,j])
$p.value}}
p.s

Please do read the help files.
Hank

On Feb 16, 2006, at 1:17 PM, Anusha Aiyaloo kannan ((RIT Student))
wrote:

> Respected Sir,
>
> I am trying to import excel file into R, but I need to truncate
> some columns from the original file.
>
>  How to delete unwanted columns when I import data from excel file.
>
> How to use cor.test for the data when I want the output rowwise.
>
> How to do grouping and use cor.test on that data
>
> I need some help regarding how to calculate the correlation.
> I don't know whether you understood my question, but I need help.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

> guide.html

Dr. Martin Henry H. Stevens, Assistant Professor
338 Pearson Hall
Botany Department
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056

Office: (513) 529-4206
Lab: (513) 529-4262
FAX: (513) 529-4243
http://www.cas.muohio.edu/~stevenmh/
http://www.muohio.edu/ecology/
http://www.muohio.edu/botany/
"E Pluribus Unum"

Re: Help to find correlation. Oops

Hank Stevens
Ignore the previous post-it contained a typo. Sorry! The following is
ok.
Hank

See help files for read.csv for input.
See help files for cor.test
dat <- read.csv("whatever-your-file-is", other info...)

# Generate an upper triangular  matrix of Pearson product moment
correlation coefficients
r.s <- matrix(NA, nr=dim(dat)[2], nc=dim(dat)[2])
rownames(r.s) <- names(dat)
colnames(r.s) <- names(dat)
for(i in 1:(dim(dat)[2]-1)) {
   for(j in i:dim(dat)[2]) r.s[i,j] <- {cor.test(dat[,i], dat[,j])
$estimate}}

wrote:

> Respected Sir,
>
> I am trying to import excel file into R, but I need to truncate
> some columns from the original file.
>
>  How to delete unwanted columns when I import data from excel file.
>
> How to use cor.test for the data when I want the output rowwise.
>
> How to do grouping and use cor.test on that data
>
> I need some help regarding how to calculate the correlation.
> I don't know whether you understood my question, but I need help.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

> guide.html

Dr. Martin Henry H. Stevens, Assistant Professor
338 Pearson Hall
Botany Department
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056

Office: (513) 529-4206
Lab: (513) 529-4262
FAX: (513) 529-4243
http://www.cas.muohio.edu/~stevenmh/
http://www.muohio.edu/ecology/
http://www.muohio.edu/botany/
"E Pluribus Unum"

Re: Help to find correlation. Oops

Frank Harrell
Or simply

library(Hmisc)
rcorr(data matrix)

Frank

Martin Henry H. Stevens wrote:

> Hi,
> Ignore the previous post-it contained a typo. Sorry! The following is
> ok.
> Hank
>
> See help files for read.csv for input.
> See help files for cor.test
> dat <- read.csv("whatever-your-file-is", other info...)
>
> # Generate an upper triangular  matrix of Pearson product moment
> correlation coefficients
> r.s <- matrix(NA, nr=dim(dat)[2], nc=dim(dat)[2])
> rownames(r.s) <- names(dat)
> colnames(r.s) <- names(dat)
> for(i in 1:(dim(dat)[2]-1)) {
>    for(j in i:dim(dat)[2]) r.s[i,j] <- {cor.test(dat[,i], dat[,j])
> $estimate}}
> r.s
>
> # Generate an upper triangular  matrix of P values of the r's
> p.s <- matrix(NA, nr=dim(dat)[2], nc=dim(dat)[2])
> rownames(p.s) <- names(dat)
> colnames(p.s) <- names(dat)
> for(i in 1:(dim(dat)[2]-1)) {
>    for(j in i:dim(dat)[2]) p.s[i,j] <- {cor.test(dat[,i], dat[,j])
> $p.value}}
> p.s
>
> Please do read the help files.
> Hank
>
> On Feb 16, 2006, at 1:17 PM, Anusha Aiyaloo kannan ((RIT Student))
> wrote:
>

>>Respected Sir,
>>
>>I am trying to import excel file into R, but I need to truncate
>>some columns from the original file.
>>
>> How to delete unwanted columns when I import data from excel file.
>>
>>How to use cor.test for the data when I want the output rowwise.
>>
>>How to do grouping and use cor.test on that data
>>
>>I need some help regarding how to calculate the correlation.
>>I don't know whether you understood my question, but I need help.
>>
>>Any help is appreciated.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>

>> [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

>>guide.html
>

> Dr. Martin Henry H. Stevens, Assistant Professor
> 338 Pearson Hall
> Botany Department
> Miami University
> Oxford, OH 45056
>
> Office: (513) 529-4206
> Lab: (513) 529-4262
> FAX: (513) 529-4243
> http://www.cas.muohio.edu/~stevenmh/
> http://www.muohio.edu/ecology/
> http://www.muohio.edu/botany/
> "E Pluribus Unum"

Frank E Harrell Jr   Professor and Chair           School of Medicine

Frank Harrell