How did you start with R?

Owe Jessen
Hi all,

I'm new to the R-Software, and would like to know, what literature you
recommend for learning R. Online or on paper, in English or German. Any
help apreciated.

Yours,
Owe Jessen

--
Owe Jessen
Diplom-Volkswirt

[hidden email]
http://www.econinfo.de

Festnetz 0431-89096
Mobil 0160-97780537
FAX 0941-599289096

jessen.vcf (382 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: How did you start with R?

Pfaff, Bernhard Dr.
Hello Owe,

aside of the 'Introduction to R' which is shipped in your R installation,
you can browse through the numerous books available:

http://www.r-project.org/doc/bib/R-books.html

As a start, very good and decent candidates are: [4] and [5]. Furthermore,
you can also browse through the contributed tutorials, see:
http://www.r-project.org/other-docs.html as well as approrpiate articles in
RNews: http://cran.r-project.org/doc/Rnews

Aside of all these sources the following URLs might be of interest:

http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/wiki/doku.php
http://zoonek2.free.fr/UNIX/48_R/all.html
http://people.su.se/~ma/R_intro/
http://people.su.se/~ma/R_intro/

Dectecting from your email signature, you might be interested in having a
look on the task views 'econometrics' and 'finance', see
http://cran.at.r-project.org/src/contrib/Views/ as additional packages
whence you are familiar with R and want to apply certain methods.

Depending in which kind of statistical/econometric field you want to utilize
R, I am pretty sure that you will find at least the relevant sources that
serve as starting point.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Re: How did you start with R?

Ajay Shah
On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 03:55:58PM -0000, Pfaff, Bernhard Dr. wrote:

> Hello Owe,
>
> aside of the 'Introduction to R' which is shipped in your R installation,
> you can browse through the numerous books available:
>
> http://www.r-project.org/doc/bib/R-books.html
>
> As a start, very good and decent candidates are: [4] and [5]. Furthermore,
> you can also browse through the contributed tutorials, see:
> http://www.r-project.org/other-docs.html as well as approrpiate articles in
> RNews: http://cran.r-project.org/doc/Rnews
>
> Aside of all these sources the following URLs might be of interest:
>
> http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/wiki/doku.php
> http://zoonek2.free.fr/UNIX/48_R/all.html
> http://people.su.se/~ma/R_intro/
> http://people.su.se/~ma/R_intro/

If I may add a URL to this list:
   http://www.mayin.org/ajayshah/KB/R
is a set of examples. It is useful for people who don't like to read
manuals and like to start writing code, and can guess the BNF of the
language they're dealing with by looking at working code fragments :-).

--
Ajay Shah                                      http://www.mayin.org/ajayshah
[hidden email]                             http://ajayshahblog.blogspot.com

Re: How did you start with R?

Owe Jessen
Thanks to all... it was amazing to get such a feedback to my innocent
little question. Will take me some time to work through it all. I hope
to get around to compile a list with my feedback to your suggestions.

Yours,
Owe