How long can a csv file label be?

R help mailing list-2
Hi For various reasons too dull to go into I have been trying to write csv files from R with very long filenames.  However R doesn't seem to like my doing this, but it is not clear to me what the maximum filename size is, and I can't find the info on the net.  I believe that the maximum pathname is 255 characters but is that the same thing?

Thanks if anyone can enlighten me

Nick Wray

Re: How long can a csv file label be?

Jeff Newmiller
This is operating-system-dependent. Check the documentation for your operating system (or the file subsystem you are using, since some OSes support multiple filesystems). Knowing this fact can make Googling more effective as well.

On June 27, 2018 3:33:39 PM PDT, Nick Wray via R-help <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi For various reasons too dull to go into I have been trying to write
>csv files from R with very long filenames.  However R doesn't seem to
>like my doing this, but it is not clear to me what the maximum filename
>size is, and I can't find the info on the net.  I believe that the
>maximum pathname is 255 characters but is that the same thing?
>
>Thanks if anyone can enlighten me
>
>Nick Wray

Re: How long can a csv file label be?

Jim Lemon-4
Hi Nick,
You are probably using Windows, for which the maximum path length is
claimed to be 260 characters. The most common alternative, Linux, has
a maximum filename length of 255 and a maximum path length of 4096. If
you are simply writing a file to the current path, it won't make much
difference.

Jim

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 8:33 AM, Nick Wray via R-help
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi For various reasons too dull to go into I have been trying to write csv files from R with very long filenames.  However R doesn't seem to like my doing this, but it is not clear to me what the maximum filename size is, and I can't find the info on the net.  I believe that the maximum pathname is 255 characters but is that the same thing?
>
> Thanks if anyone can enlighten me
>
> Nick Wray

Re: How long can a csv file label be?

R help mailing list-2