How to Clean Data, What Format to Use?

Dr. Spock
I am new to R and I have an assignment to work on but am not sure how to go about it. The file has various codes in one column (like it will say the type of house it is eg detached) and some of them are redundant (like the detached isn't uniform and could be written as DET) and so we basically have to make a table with 2 columns where we have the listings of all the unique types and the total count of them. So it requires a lot of cleaning up.

I am not sure how to go about doing this and since I am new to R, I would appreciate really explicit instructions because I am not much of a programmer. I tried using summary and that sorta gives me what I want but I just don't know where to go from there. Do I use dplyr? Do I make the data from the column a factor? Do I make a list? A table? Thanks